Need carry options for jogging with P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by brotherjethro, Aug 22, 2008.

1. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Hi all,

I've been carrying my P3AT in a Grandfather Oak kydex pocket holster for about a year now, and I really like it, but...

Right now I'm trying to come up with a way to carry the P3AT while jogging, and the pocket holster isn't going to work for me.

What would you all recommend I consider for this purpose?  I won't be wearing a belt, and won't have pockets.  Obviously I'll be moving around a lot.  Plus, I want to minimize the sweat exposure.  I was considering some kind of "fanny pack", but they seem too big, they look lame, and I picture them flopping around while I jog.

Thoughts?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Lots of experience in this exact situation. I can't imagine any solution better that www.smartcarry.com I would suggest the small which is one size too big for the P3AT but 1) provides a bit more "keep in protection" and 2) will allow you to use it with a P11/Pf9 when you get one if you don't have one already.

-Scott

3. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
  4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Wouldn't your arms rub against the pistol when you run?

-Scott

5. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I guess that depends on how you wear it, your build, and the size of the gun. I don't have one, and I don't run, so I wouldn't know for sure.

6. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    I can't say that have I ever jogged in it, but I have something called "Thunderwear". From what I gather, it is exactly the same as a "Smartcarry" but with a WAY cooler name!! ;D

I have the bigger size so I can fit various firearms in it and I have always found it very comfortable and very functional. I'm sure that it would work very well for this.

http://www.thunderwear.com/

7. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I had looked at the Kangaroo and also wondered about the gun being so close under the arm. I tried calling the company but all you get is an answering machine so I sent an E mail with my questions. I was told that the holster is adjustable for height and some movement front or rearward for comfort, looking at the pictures I wasnt sure about that, I have not orded it yet.

8. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Another vote for SmartCarry. :)

Bobo

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    I put mine in a trimmed-down plastic grocery bag and carry it in my hand sometimes. It never gets a second glance, though I often run at night. Anywhere else and I have found it jounces around too much to be anything less than annoying. Shoving it down your shorts sounds like a recipe for rust to me.

Never trust a man who tries to tell you his nuts aren't sweaty, I say. :p

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't know about thunderware but smartcarry has a waterproof layer sewn into the fabric between where your pistol goes and your skin - plus as long as you wear them it sits OUTSIDE your underwear. No matter how sweaty I have gotten when carrying with a smartcarry I have never had a damp pistol.

There is a LCP/P3AT type rivalry/history between thunderware and smartcarry. I don't remember the details but do remember that when I looked into it I was happy to buy the smartcarry.

-Scott

11. MountainTony

MountainTony New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    With the dimunitive size and weight of the p38t I wonder if a holster could be sewn into a good quality baseball hat ? ::)  ;)  :eek:  :-/ Or perhaps inside a rubberized work glove with a tight cuff no holster (fall & winter ) of course  :p

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Good to know. No underwear whilst running, just the jock. Too much info... ;D

13. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    I don't know about thunderware but smartcarry has a waterproof layer sewn into the fabric between where your pistol goes and your skin - plus as long as you wear them it sits OUTSIDE your underwear.  No matter how sweaty I have gotten when carrying with a smartcarry I have never had a damp pistol.  

There is a LCP/P3AT type rivalry/history between thunderware and smartcarry.  I don't remember the details but do remember that when I looked into it I was happy to buy the smartcarry.

-Scott[/quote]

The Thunderwear has the same liner stuff in it.  I've never had any issue with a damp pistol, but like I said, I don't jog with it.  I tend to run only when being chased (kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane if you ask me)...    ;D

I'm interested to hear about the rivalry you speak of between Thunderwear and Smartcarry.  I looked at both and don't really remember why I picked the Thunderwear over the Smartcarry.  I don't think that I would have been dissappointed with either one. It's a neat idea and works very well.

14. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I use a small waistpack; check at sporting goods stores. I got mine at Academy Sports. Not only do I carry a PF9 and mag, but I carry my ID (read, CCW), cell phone, and a small emergency kit. It doesn't weigh much and does not bounce while I'm running. It almost got put to use recently when I tripped while running. Fortunately, I avoided any bad scrapes, but being able to clean and disinfect a scrape would have been handy.

Carry while running is a big reason I'm considering a smaller pistol, but I keep asking myself, "Do I really want to step down even further in power?"

15. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    MoonDoggy:

My understanding is that Thunderwear was first on the market, and sort of established the concept, and then Smart Carry came along and kind of took over.

My take on the situation is that the Smart Carry is the better product today,  but that's based on what I've "heard" around the web rather than any actual contact.

A friend of mine swore by the original Thunderwear many years ago, when they were introduced, but I never had the need.  He and his wife both had 'em.  

I think it's safe to say that a gun tucked into your undies is going to need some lubrication regularly....  Of late, I stick a Nemesis in my hip pocket (or bathrobe pocket) in situations like that.  I don't run.  I barely walk.... :)

Regards,

16. FLA2760

FLA2760 Active Member

Aug 22, 2005
    When I used to run regularly I carried my 642 in a DeSantis  belly band.  :cool:  My older bellyband has the little Velcro equipped strips that allow me to put it over the hammer/grip  of the gun to keep it in the bellyband when I run. Someone suggested a small waist pouch and that may work too. The link shows a bellyband and other options too.

http://www.desantisholster.com/gunny-sacks--belly-bands--gun-caddies.html

17. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Thanks for all the replies...

Lots of votes for Smart Carry, but I have trouble believing that it won't be a sweaty/rusty mess. I guess since they claim satisfaction guaranteed, it's risk free. Has anyone actually returned a Smart Carry? How was the process?

Also, some kind of tiny fanny pack (waist pack?) sounds interesting. Shep854, can you post a photo of what you use? Was it designed for use with a pistol?

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Call them. You will speak with Charlie, the owner. Voice your concerns about it and see what he says. You will be positively surprised and how "fun" it is to work with him.

-Scott

19. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I recommend the Smart Carry as well. I use the SC often. It keeps the pistol secure and is very very comfortable to wear, even during strenuous activities such as running.

20. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A neck holster or KT Lanyard might be a possibilty, also maybe a belt clip.

http://www.stellarrigs.com/gun_neckchain_rigs.html

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_13&products_id=35