Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been in the market for a 9mm carbine and was just about to buy a Hi Point when I saw an S2k Gen 1 in one of my local gun shops.

I’ve read about the Sub 2000 and I like the fact that it folds and takes widely available mags. It had a scope mounted on it so it could not be folded. I was able to get it for $250 and I’m planning on putting it back to its “original” configuration. I’ve removed the scope and mounts so I can fold it again but the previous owner removed both the front and rear sights.

I was hoping to get some input from folks here on the best option to replace them. I see that the rear sites are available from Kel-Tec $4.50 but the front sights for Gen 1 are out of stock and from what I’ve been reading are difficult to install as they are basically glued and press fitted on. Will a Gen 2 front sight work on a Gen 1 barrel? I see that Red Lion Precision sells an aftermarket front sight that looks promising.

I’m also curious about the scope mounts that were on it. Has anyone here ever seen anything like them? They look too good to be an amateur job, especially the cutouts in the fore end.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
I believe those are Kel Tec accessory scope mounts that the factory used to sell...haven't seen them for sale in a long time though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Yup. Those are aftermarket Kel-tec scope mounts. They were actually designed to fold to the side so you could fold the Sub, and they were spring loaded, hence the notch in the side of the foreend. The original owner must have removed the spring and clamped them tight to the barrel because they had a questionable return to zero. The Red Lion front sight was and is still pretty well thought of. You could do much worse. I believe they also sell one with a small picatinny rail on the bottom for a light or laser.

But I have to tell you, you may have trouble mounting any front sight. It looks like the owner may have had the barrel turned down a little bit. There should be a step in the barrel where the front sight sleeve used to mount, and I don't see the step.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. Those are aftermarket Kel-tec scope mounts. They were actually designed to fold to the side so you could fold the Sub, and they were spring loaded, hence the notch in the side of the foreend. The original owner must have removed the spring and clamped them tight to the barrel because they had a questionable return to zero.
That makes perfect sense. The fore end looks like it was made that way from the factory.

The Red Lion front sight was and is still pretty well thought of. You could do much worse. I believe they also sell one with a small picatinny rail on the bottom for a light or laser.

But I have to tell you, you may have trouble mounting any front sight. It looks like the owner may have had the barrel turned down a little bit. There should be a step in the barrel where the front sight sleeve used to mount, and I don't see the step.
Now that's disappointing. The parts list I downloaded does appear to show some kind of step where the front site is supposed to go which will make this challenging.

I measured the barrel diameter as 0.525" where the front site should go (even with the end of the butt stock in the folded position). Is that normal?

I could make or adapt something if an S2k specific part won't fit but that would be much preferred. I've got a replacement rear sight on order.

What's the height of the sight line above the bore axis supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
The UltraDot is a great sight. I have several. They are superb on a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Sub2000 (and many other applications). I have no use for open sights when an UltraDot is available.

:nopics:

So,

Photo credit: haugrdr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered an original rear sight from Kel-Tec. I lost my stock pin spring when I disassembled the first time. From reading some posts here I see I'm not the first person to do that. So ordered a few things to make it worth the shipping. They're cheap enough it's worth trying.

I also ordered a Gator Hide bolt Tube cover because I noticed some surface rust where my cheek contacts it.

I'm leaning towards ordering the Red Lion front sight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I measured the barrel diameter as 0.525" where the front site should go (even with the end of the butt stock in the folded position). Is that normal?
Mine is 0.530"
I would think that the RedLion would still fit using their adapter clamp.

What's the height of the sight line above the bore axis supposed to be?

Mine is 2.000"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is 0.530"
I would think that the RedLion would still fit using their adapter clamp.

Mine is 2.000"
Ugh....I ordered a an original front sight through Numerich this morning. Well I guess we'll see when it gets here. If it's too lose I'll just add it to parts pile and order a Red Lion.

I was also thinking of putting the scope back on, but canting it to the left so it would still fold. I've seen some folks do that with red dots. Or is that just nuts?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Not nuts if you like it. Do whatever enhances the way You use the rifle. Rotating the rifle clockwise is awkward for me, so I put offset mounts on the right (and rotate the rifle counterclockwise).
I also install my offset sights on the right side and rotate the rifle counterclockwise to use them. It is a more natural movement for me..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Saga continues

Well, the factory front sight that I ordered from Numerich came yesterday. It slides on the barrel and fits snuggley along the taper. But, as I feared, when I dry fitted it, it slides on about .080" too far down the barrel (where the barrel diameter is .535") so the front sight tower won't lock properly into the stock when rifle folds. I could take a chance that when I put a coat of Red Loctite in the bushing it will fill the extra .010" and seat at the right location but I'm thinking that I will be happier in the long run if I just wait and get the Red Lion.

The factory rear sight, on the other hand, fits and works perfectly once I removed some flashing from where the hinge pin slides through.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decided to take a chance

After reading up on Red Loctite and finding out it would fill gaps up to .007", I decide to go ahead and try putting the factory front sight on.

Picked up a tube of Red Loctite from Lowes, cleaned the end of the barrel with acetone to remove any oil, wrapped the barrel with blue painter's tape to mark the sight position. I coated the end of the barrel and the inside of the sight bushing with the Red Loctite and slide it on up to the tape and held it in place. As the Loctite started to set I eyeballed the sight alignment and rotated it into position. I cleaned up the excess and waited for it to fully cure.

24 hours later all seems well. The sights look to be aligned and the front sight locks on to the butt stock like it's supposed to.

Of course I realize I've just done the opposite of what most of the folks on this forum are trying to do, but it looks good and now I just need to wait for some warm(er) weather to get it out to the range.

I did add a Gator Hide bolt tube cover and I really like the way it feels.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.