Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first gen p3at for Christmas 2 years ago, the pin walked out, frame was bent. I sent it to KT, and got a new gun back in about 2 weeks. That gun has never had a failure to fire, failure to eject, jam, etc. Just been perfect. I shot another 70 rounds yesterday of Remington and SandB FMJ, and no problems at all. Nice reliable pocket pistol!

G

·
marshall, nice report,  these little jewels are really starting to be "very" reliable of late...shoot it like u stole it..

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
welcome Marshall, glad to see you here.

Nice to hear of someone else who has a reliable one.

IMO, for size and concealability, it does not get much better. I use mine every time I go to the range, so long as I get it to go bang through 2 magazines, I am ok.....

never failed me yet.

Now Gracie on the other hand, well, she is still vacationing in Florida. But given the weather here, I can not blame her.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think there are a lot more 1G owners out there than you think that "have a reliable one," RJ. My 1G has had no problems whatsoever, and zero mods with over 2000 rounds through it. I did replace a mag follower and recoil spring, more out of boredom than necessity. Oh yeah, it continues to cause non-performance- affecting smilies, which are of zero consequence. What can I say. It's boringly reliable. Truly an unmatched 24/7 BUG.

G

·
dt, I have two of those boringly reliable kt mini's myself. Working on calling my 3rd one the same "phrase" just not ready to hang that title on it yet.. :eek:

·
Registered
585 Posts
jocko said:
dt, I have two of those boringly reliable kt mini's myself.  Working on calling my 3rd one the same "phrase" just not ready to hang that title on it yet.. :eek:
I believe the shooter is enough a part of the equation that you cannot just credit the gun itself.  My first Kel-Tec was a P-32, long before I found this forum.  Admittedly, I bought it used, so the breakin period was past and it was trouble free.

My second Kel-Tec was a second generation P-3AT.  I had no problems with "limp wristing" issues because most long term cyclists have strong hands and fore ams from partially supporting their weight hours on end.  I learned to release the trigger all the way while shooting for my CCW permit recertification. ::)

Other than that, it just took more practice than the P-32 to reliably hit what I was pointing at.  The third Kel-Tec, another P-3AT was a lucky, hard chrome find at a gunshow.  Trading away the P-32 to buy it was mostly an attempt to simplify my life and cut ammo prices.  That worked!  And, I started enjoying doing the polishing needed to make both guns smoother, knowing I had a spare if anything went wrong. ;D

The P-11, followed quickly by a P-40 conversion, raised the challenge level a little, partly because I shoot it exclusively for fun.  At first, I expected it to be easier to shoot than the P-3AT's.  It is, for the first few rounds, but it required a little more experience to shoot 60 rounds in a session without a limp wrist enduced failure.  Having something a little bit special (stainless with night sights) does add to personal satisfaction, but it is a great gun.

Earlier this week, I asked a very experienced 1911 shooter to shoot the P-11 (in 9mm mode).  This gracious gentleman has 50 years experience and shot a tighter group than I can at the same range, but experienced the "reliability issues" with feeding that many people report early on.  To paraphrase Mr. Armstrong, "It was not about the gun."  ;D

Now I am sure there are talented folks out there who pick one of these up and shoot it forever, without incident.  But, for me the final reliability component is the knowledge all of you gracious and experienced people have shared via this and the KTRange forums.  Give yourself some credit. For me, the gun is just one part of the whole experience.

TucsonMTB . . . who is still learning, but having much more fun

Edited for spellink errers, an I probly misssed a couple

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
dbracin said:
Your lucky you got a good one.
I wouldn't say that. Lots of people get "good ones". The problem is that you don't hear from those people, because they have no reason to go on a gun forum and ask for help. The only people you hear about are the ones who have issues, which are NOT always the guns fault.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a 1G P3AT that is flawless. It wasn't when I got it several years back but it is now. The principal problem with the 1G guns IMHO was the extractor. Once I had KT install a P32 extractor in the gun, my problems disappeared. Another problem and I know a lot of folks don't want to hear it, was/is limpwristing. You have to hold this gun like you're life depended on it (and it might). 'Slightly more of an issue with the lighter 1G P3AT vs. the heavier 2G gun.

The other thing I would add is the need to polish the barrel, feed ramp and hood and to keep the gun very clean and well-lubed. Grease is the way to go on the rails. Do these things and your chances of owning a problematic 1G P3AT (or a 2G P3AT for that matter with the exception of the need for a P32 extractor) are lessened dramatically. .

But yes, all things being equal, the 2G P3AT is a more reliable out-of-the-box gun. :) Cheers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wha....wha....what!! People are talking about reliable. cost effective guns on KTOG!!! I can't believe it; we must put a stop to it. Everone knows that if you have one that works, you must be lucky. 8)

For those who can't tell, it's called sarcasm.

Don't get sucked in by the trolls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.