Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This facelift started when I got a couple of bad batches of mag catches lately. People are waiting far too long now. My friend Tony makes these things, and we got together and studied the problems. A couple of evolutionary ideas later, and we have a winner. ;D

The new catch has had the hole for the spring moved over to the right (as you hold it) a little. This increases the spring pressure holding the mag in place, and the catch can travel further to the left. I also had him increase the size (right at the top) of the "shelf", as I call it, that the mag tube cutout sits on. This means the catch protrudes further into the magazine tube, thus holding it more securely. No problems with feeding have been noted as a result.

Its very difficult to place the hole in the metal catch off-center like KT did, so I moved it the other way to get the desired result. Its hard enough to reproduce that hole in metal with no drilling required. It needs to be drilled while its in wax, I tried it but failed every time. My buddy is an artist with this kind of stuff. He can draw and do paintings as well. Lets all give thanks to Tony for making these things. I have been ready to give up and stop offering them a couple of times. Tony wanted to keep on going and perfect it. So, thanks to him we still have this catch available.

The pics are one step from perfection. I hand fitted this one. The next ones should be right on with no fitting by me. The fit and funtion are excellent on this one, after careful measurements we know exactly what it takes to make it come out right.

Dont pay attention to the ugly trigger with pocket moss growing on it. It was just a test. I keep it because its better than stock, its more comfortable to use.

Beach ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
How is availability going to be on the latest rendition... and thanks for making these. 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ill take one! Just got back from the range and started having a odd problem with the mag releasing. 1st issue out of my p3at. Was about to post but saw this.

How much and when can I get it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spud said:
Ill take one! Just got back from the range and started having a odd problem with the mag releasing. 1st issue out of my p3at. Was about to post but saw this.

How much and when can I get it.
Allow 1-2 weeks for shipping, I should be able to cover orders in that time frame. The only thing causing delays is me refusing to ship what comes to me. With this new catch I can see filling orders quickly with few rejects. If we get bad ones, new molds will be made from the original model and production resumes. We are taking the hit and miss out of this and making it an exact science.

My pleasure TXcajun. Its been fun to provide this service to the KT community.

Beach

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Thanks to you and Tony for your perserverance!

I got a good one many months ago and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beach,

I'm happy to see that you're working on perfecting the mag releases. I really believe the plastic release is the only real weak link in these pistols and I commend you for the R&D you've done for all of us.

I bought 2 of them from you back when they first came out. The one in my P32 has been great but I could never get the one for my P3AT to work right. It would release the magazine every few shots. I ended going back to a new Kel-Tec plastic release and have 'babied' it to reduce wear and it holds the magazine tight. My P3AT is my primary concealed carry and I have to have confidence in it.

Maybe when you get these new ones into production I'll try one out in my P3AT.

Thanks

G

·
cavediver. The privately made HC works great for those who bought it, Personally I have inserted my magazine with the factory "weak link" release in my one 380 that I shoot all the time over 650 times and it looks absolutely perfect. Not a sign of wear-period. I do not slam the magazine home though and that is the reason. I don't feel like I am babying it either. Just don't see the need to do it. I have done that on all my semi auto that had a mag release side button. To me just taking care of the weapon. I don't carry a spare magazine, so I don' ever see the real need to be slamming home my magazine in any of my kt's FWIW. The polmer one works great if not abused. ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
jocko, I never 'slam home' magazines in any of my pistols and that includes Colt, Ruger, Bersa as well as my Kel-Tecs. The only magazine release failure I ever had was with my 3-year old 1st generation P3-AT. After probably 500 rounds it started releasing on every shot. When I took the release out it was completely rounded off and useless. As far as I know, Kel-Tec is the only pistol manufacturer using plasic releases with steel magazines. That's my rational for believing it is a weak link in the pistol.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan and supporter of Kel-Tec on all the gun forums I belong to. I just wish I had better faith in the plastic release.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I slam the mags home on all of my autopistols. This is the way I was taught. Sometimes I carry a spare mag, and this is a good habit to get into IMO.

The samples I have are excellent, only required light polishing to work smoothly. Its a tiny bit on the big side which is perfect in my mind. They are very consistant as well. A range test will follow in the next day or so and production is resuming. I have full confidence in this one.

;D

Cavediver, I will replace the one you are having problems with free of charge. PM or email me your shipping addy and I will get it done. You wont be disappointed with the latest design.

·
Registered
858 Posts
cavediver27 said:
jocko, I never 'slam home' magazines in any of my pistols and that includes Colt, Ruger, Bersa as well as my Kel-Tecs. The only magazine release failure I ever had was with my 3-year old 1st generation P3-AT. After probably 500 rounds it started releasing on every shot. When I took the release out it was completely rounded off and useless. As far as I know,  Kel-Tec is the only pistol manufacturer using plasic releases with steel magazines. That's my rational for believing it is a weak link in the pistol.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan and supporter of Kel-Tec on all the gun forums I belong to. I just wish I had better faith in the plastic release.
This was my experience as well with my 1G P3AT after a couple hundred rounds.  Mag was dropping after every other shot.  I had my gunsmith install a new OEM catch and spring and the probem is resolved (for now).  He said the same thing that the catch was all rounded out, basically chewed up, and that if there was an after-market metal replacement available (that worked) it would be much prefeable to the stock part.  Thanks to Beach, our ship has come in.  I am waiting for mine (the new and improved version  :)).

Match plastic against metal and metal is going to win out everyime.  The two (mag catch and magazine) is not a marriage made in heaven IMHO. The plastic part takes a beating if you fire the P3AT a lot.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony is working on the orders and a couple of replacements. If you have a function problem with one of the old ones, let me know and I will get you a replacement out.

I got some interesting news yesterday by email. Another member here sent me drawings and gave me limited specs for a 1st gen. P3AT mag catch. It is different. So if you have a 1st gen gun your catch may require modification. If you were one of the few that sanded down the bottom of the grip a bit to make the NC catch work, this was bad advice on my part. It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time, but now I have info that there is a different catch floating around out there. Once I saw drawings of it, all was crystal clear. The good news is, if you shortened your grip by .020" and it shoots fine there should be no worries.

Now I know there is yet another variation besides the 1st gen catch, for a total of at least three different catches used by KT over the years in P3AT/P32s. I have a recently purchased grey grip that my new fangled ultimate mag catch wont fit into. This grip requires reduction of the catch for it to work. If you dont feel like you can fit it properly, send me the grip and the catch (just the plastic part, the frame is a felony) and I will fit it for you and turn it around in a couple of days + mail time. This will cost you $10, in return I will test fire it in your grip with my frame and top and a full mag. (when the catch is most likely to drop the mag) a few times. I use Santa Barbara for this test, nothing spits out mags like this stuff!. ;D

As for Jocko's affection for his stock catch, he claims to shoot it alot and the plastic one should be dead by now. Let me send you a sample catch Jocko, you can compare how secure the two are side by side. Take a wild guess on which one is going to be more durable. My catch will likely outlast the grip and mags, some here have replaced the plastic catch more than once.

And there is no need for a gunsmith Kraigster. That which was once though of as hard to change has gotten simple enough for over 100 KTOGers to do themselves. You are the second person I have heard of that contracted a gunsmith. The other guys smith said it was too hard and wanted to charge an arm and a leg for the install he was afraid to do. Its really quite simple. Between YZguy's site and my post on the catch installation, everything is laid out for you with pictures. I can do one in under 5 min. taking my time. Its really easy with a few simple and cheap tools.

Beach.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beach is right on target about the ease of replacing the magazine catch. If you are comfortable doing complete detailed cleaning of your pistols and have basic mechanical abilities then replacing the magazine catch should be a breeze. The Kel-Tec design is a simple and is easy to completely disassemble.

I've had my catch out a couple of times and I can do it in under 5 minutes.

G

·
Beech, send it, when my O. E catch goes bad and of yet it shows no signs of wear, I will indeed replace it with your upgraded version. I have no problems with that suggestion but if it ain't broke, why fix it?? private email to u with address. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My original KT mag catch failed at about 500 rounds and was replaced by the factory. Now I baby it by fully depressing the mag catch when inserting a magazine. I agree that this is a design weakness. Just one more reason to carry a second gun instead of a spare magazine.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jocko said:
Beech, send it, when my O. E catch goes bad and of yet it shows no signs of wear, I will indeed replace it with your upgraded version. I have no problems with that suggestion but if it ain't broke, why fix it?? private email to u with address. Thanks for the offer.
I fix lots of things that arent broken. Regular service and upgrades help prevent untimely break-downs. If you arent going to try it and the stock catch works well for you, I see no point in sending you one. I think they should be installed, not thrown in a parts box.

Here is the comparison pics I got from another user. I would like to give him credit, but dont know his user name. He says the depth of the notch is .030" and the with is .060".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beach,

The replacement plastic release I got from Kel-Tec about a month ago was exactly like #2. My old ones were like #1. I noticed the difference when I compared it to the good used one I had taken out of my 1st gen P32.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cavediver27 said:
Beach,

The replacement plastic release I got from Kel-Tec about a month ago was exactly like #2. My old ones were like #1. I noticed the difference when I compared it to the good used one I had taken out of my 1st gen P32.
If anyone doesnt mind sending me one, I would like a sample 1st gen catch. I dont know if it would be worth producing it, but it would be nice to have one.

Beach

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beach,

The only difference is that it seats the magazine a little deeper in the pistol. You really have to push up on the magazine to seat it but when it seats it is in there tight. On the first generation it seats on that small lip, with the 'lip relief' removed on the 2nd gen it leaves very little space between the grip bottom and the magazine bottom. I hope I explained this okay, if not PM me your phone number and I'll be glad to give you a call.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1st gen guns will require slight modification of the catch to make them work properly. The little ledge is about .030" deep and .060" wide. I prefer this mod to be done by the end user.

Like I said, a few members here have sanded a little off the bottom of the grip frame and all was well. This approach puts the mag a bit higher in the gun. If no problems are encounter, this should be OK, but I am not sure if its the correct approach. I will see about getting a few 1st gen catches made, they would be far easier to modify before they are cast. I am still thinking about this one, give me a little time.

[/quote] ;D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.