Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Radiator cap was a good one. Based on my experience of loosing an engine from a bad radiator cap gasket. oil drain plug is good too.
There is another thing Im waiting to see of anyone knows.
Hint...only on rear wheel drives.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
U-joint snap rings.
You are right about that but I was thinking of the rear universal joint strap bolts. There are four, but loose one and it all will fly apart.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not exactly a part, but air is free and an automobile requires the oxygen in air to function...
In this same category, I will suggest (for 99.9% of vehicles, at least ;>) "the driver"!

Reactions: IamScotticus

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
In 1987 it was the stupid retaining bolt that held a throttle cable on the arm there on the side of the carburetor, 1971 Volkswagen super beetle. After replacing two or three we finally drilled a hole and put a cotter pin in that sucker.

·
Administrator
31,906 Posts
In 1987 it was the stupid retaining bolt that held a throttle cable on the arm there on the side of the carburetor, 1971 Volkswagen super beetle. After replacing two or three we finally drilled a hole and put a cotter pin in that sucker.
I had that part fail on a 62 Karman Ghia and it put me on the side of the road. I tied a piece of string to the arm on the carb, ran it thru the vent on the trunk lid and up to the driver side window. I was able to make it home pulling the string to, accelerate.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It's a good thing you didn't sneeze. Zoom. :eek:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I wish I still had my copy of “How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive for the complete Idiot” I too learned the string trick from there. Great read and my primer on most of what I know about cars. As I got older and owned different types of cars that base knowledge of auto mechanics was awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would LOVE to have an IRS street rail.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Depending on what motor oil you buy, some cheap brands cost less than $3 for 1qt.

Reactions: IamScotticus

·
Registered
33 Posts
A while back my 2007 Xterra refused to start. It would not crank or make a sound. Turns out there is this little plastic button that snaps into a small hole in the clutch pedal shaft. The button pushes a switch which indicates to the engine computer that the clutch is depressed. Without indication that the clutch is depressed, the engine won't crank or start. The plastic button had gotten brittle and broken into pieces. A 9 cent plastic fastener popped into the hole made it go again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about that cotter pin that holds the lock washer on the spindle nut. You will probably get somewhere until the nut unscrews, then you'll be wondering - "Now where did that washer and pin go?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
A small length of fuel line.
Though it'll technically "run" it wont as soon as you have a turn in the road, a small length of brake line, though I guess that's a little over $3 now.
A rear differential drain plug.
A transmission drain plug.
A ground wire.
A spark plug boot.
A valve stem.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts