Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and kids got me a 3 inch barreled 629 for Christmas, I want a holster for it but I don't want a plastic one. I was wondering if any of you know if any of the holster makers offer a holster that can do both a strong right side draw but can also be converted to a cross draw.

I would like to have the cross draw capabilities when I would be sitting in my truck for long periods of time while traveling.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have one that converts from bandoleer to belt holster, can be strong side or cross draw. I use it when scouting before hunting season, and as a sidearm for fishing/rifle season. It is definitely a field holster, not something for every day carry.

If I was making a road trip the bandoleer mode would be my choice, but you'd want to think about what it would look like at a gas station or toll booth or drive-thru window, not to mention getting out of the truck. Open carry laws notwithstanding that's attention you don't want to attract.

If that sounds like what you're seeking, I'll go trace my amazon history and post a link.

I don't have a solution for OWB of a 3" .44 that would ride comfortably say, under a coat.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
:rayof: Very nice Christmas present enloe. Your family chose well :rayof:

There are leather holsters like you are asking about.

I carry a 4" N frame 625 often. I use a 3 slot "Bianchi Cyclone Model 111" because it is a true cross draw / strong draw holster. I also have a 3 slot "The Master's Holsters" holster that is similar to the GALCO F.L.E.T.C.H. with which I carry most of my other handguns. Not a true cross draw holster, but when worn upright on my weak side, it is an easy draw from a sitting position. I have never used The Master's Holster. It has been put away and I just never think about it when I get dressed. Both are high quality holsters.

The Bianchi is double thickness with a suede inner lining (which is still soft, but not as soft as it was when new). The Master's Holster is a single thickness, but the inside leather surface is very soft (suede like).

I also think that your 3" barrel might be a little harder to find a holster for, but I'll bet you can get one with some diligent inquiries made to premium holster makers..

Note: Ross Leather Co makes a Model M11DS in a cross draw / strong draw, suede lined, holster for N frames, along with a Model M22LC open top - no thumb break, cross draw only model, and a M23 cross draw only model with a thumb break. I believe they will make these to a custom barrel length and can be had suede lined, or not.

UPDATE - 01/14/2017: I just received an advertisement from DeSantis Holsters They have a Model 016 holster for large frame revolvers that is configured to be worn strong side or crossdraw.

:nopics:

So:
Here are some photos for you. These are with my 4" barrel. The Bianchi Cyclone covers more of the gun and the barrel sits about 1/2" in from the bottom of the holster. In The Master's Holster, the barrel comes all the way to the bottom of the holster and the trigger guard is fully exposed.

I just pushed my belt part way through so you can see the angle of the holster in relation to the belt.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I've also been sorta on the lookout for an N frame holster for my Dad. He's got a 4" & a 6.5" one also, so he would need one that has the muzzle end open.
If you are thinking about just one holster for him to carry both guns, get the longer one. It will fit both. You don't want the barrel of a gun that costs close to $1,000 sticking out of a holster where it could be easily damaged or disfigured.

My philosophy is that if you are going to spend money on a gun, spend what it takes to preserve it as best possible as it is being used or stored.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.