Mysterious slide locking

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ecucmgt, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ecucmgt

ecucmgt New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Hi. I was shooting my P3at with my buddy who bought my old 2nd gen P3AT of mine. I have 3 extra mags for easier practicing. I loaned him my mags and he was shooting them. After he fired the last round the slide locked open. I thought there was a jam or ftf. Nope just a consistent lock open after the last round. Slide closes when you pull out the magazine. Is this bad and does anyone else's do this. My current P3AT 2nd gen does not do this and that gun above never did this with tme or the extra mags.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG.

This is the first I recall of this being posted, but looking at a magazine closely, it looks like it is very easy to occur.

I THINK the slide is being held back by the hammer rail catching on the follower. Either the follower is worn (or the magazine lips) and the follower comes up just a little bit 0.02 to 0.03".

Looking at the back of my new magazine, the bottom curve of the follower is just flush with the notch in the metal magazine. The two sides of the follower at the back are about 0.03" below the metal lips. the follower hits the metal lips in its middle.

It looks like if the follower's two sides were filed down in the center and let the follower comeup that little bit, it would lock the slide.

Now it aint right, but I don't know if it would be bad :-/

3. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Yeah, but then we might get cracking issues at the front of the mag tube like we had at the rear with the old smiley issue. Not to mention complete chewing up and destruction of the rear part of the follower which could cause enough drag to not properly index the next round up.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I agree, and that is why I do not shoot the last round to load

5. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Why? If you didn't have a malfunctioning or modified magazine you won't have a problem. The only thing I hate is dropping the hammer on an empty chamber if I'm not counting the shots. I always try to count my shots as you would have to, also, to prevent firing that last round. At least until KT puts a loaded chamber indicator on their pistols. ::)

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The reason I used the large "I" was i know this is a more of a personal thing verses how it was designed to be used

My reason
    when you shot the last round, when it is ejected, the empty follower comes up a little when the slide goes to full recoil, then during the slides return, the hammer rail strikes the follower in the center and pushes it back down. There is also the possiblity the barrel feed ramp will strike the nose of the follower (I elimanted that though with my buffer)

7. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    I don't think there's a problem anymore with the feed ramp hitting the follower. KT fixed that when they incorporated the cutout to prevent smilies.

8. ecucmgt

ecucmgt New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. After the superbowl I will get my hand on the gun and take some photos to show. The magazines were very new and used maybe 200 rds. The affected P3at was about 3 years old and had been shot at least 600 rounds. I will keep you posted with my findings. :)

9. ecucmgt

ecucmgt New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I also wanted to add my 2 cents worth about the lack of a slide lock. I feel that the lack of a slide lock is a great training and reliability feature. There is nothing better for teaching yourself smooth trigger control that firing the pistol on a empty chamber. After firing live rounds and not counting the number, firing the gun will show you how much you move. The only place counting rounds is good for is at the range. Not very useful in a stressful situation. A slide lock can also lock open when it is not suppossed to at the worst time. Lack of a slide stop only prohibits ultra fast mag changes and use of a bore snake without full disassembly.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I agree counting shots in a SHTF situation is not likely to happen. HOWEVER if you always train "2-2-2 reload" (or 3-2-2 which I do with the +1) you will do that in a stressful situation even if you are still asleep. I train to "Stop the threat" and am of the firm belief that 2-3 shots will be necessary to do that with the P3AT.

-Scott

11. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi,
    I made a wooden magizine. To hold the slide back.
    So I can use a bore snake for cleaning.

Charlie.