Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pinstripper, I purchased back when trucking to ca. and back to east. Found on Sierra vista Az.. Restore took 6 years, (harleykitplane.com)but was flying it after 4 years and kept doing finish work. Last may won 2nd place at Virginia festival of flight/custom homebuilt.. This is a Burt Rutan design and is built by plans in early 90's buy a dentist, southwest of San Francisco ca...

engine is from Cessna 152!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Cool plane. I saw something similar flying one time. A pusher prop with forward canards! The sound of the engine is what got my attention!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nice job! I was born in Oshkosh and I grew up with the EAA. I started flying in the 80's and have been doing so as a career ever since. While I've never had the opportunity to fly the VariEze, I used to do bi-annuals for experimental/homebuild flyers in their aircraft. Someday, I'd like to build a Van's RV-8.

·
Registered
660 Posts
RFB, stop by sometime. I am at KFAY...

info here: harleykitplane.com
Will do. I'm at KCHO (home) and KRIC (work). Our 1970 Cessna T310Q is in refurb right now at KIXD. Once the MX side is done, it goes off to avionics. I'll have it back at KCHO sometime this summer. I'll fly down that way with some toys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow! She's lookin good, yea come on down when you get a chance 8000 feet on 4/22 ,,10/28 is 5500. Tower never closes because of ft bragg. There's about 80 planes bases here, couple gulfstreams. thanks for photo of it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's before the refurb. That pic was taken many years ago. It's getting a very expensive annual done followed by some updated avionics and then paint. It's about 3 months behind schedule already. :(

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's good your painting it, my old friend who's not flying anymore had one, I use to ride a lot in it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Denver's crash was pilot error (didn't refuel before take-off), only 30-minutes of flight time in aircraft type prior to the crash flight, a non-standard fuel selector valve location by the kit builder, and failure to keep his foot off the rudder while he was turning in his seat to get at the fuel selector valve.

Not indicative of the aircraft type all, but yes, Denver was flying a LongEZ.

·
Registered
271 Posts
RFB:
Good points; I did read the NTSB report on Denver's crash and was struck just how familiarity with an activity can (in some people) induce carelessness. There's a lesson to be learned there that does apply to gun safety as well. Here's to all your landings be safe ones.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Roger that! :D

I survived a crash in 2000 (I was not at the controls.) After logging over 10,000 hours of flight time, some in some very 'questionable' places, I'm happy to say my ratio is 1:1. Now, I will admit to some controlled crashes. But, as they say, any landing you walk away from is a good one!

The EZ line of aircraft have stellar safety records. Sometimes, man can get in the way of a good design.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my tooth DOC's brother was johns pilot, he said all they found was his finger. He also said bird strike was what occurred ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts