My stupid P3AT!!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by engineer88, Jul 31, 2009.

1. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Ran flawless again!!  Can you believe that?   ;D

Ran 25 precious .380 rounds through it.  Nary a single hitch.  Hated to shoot up 25 of my last 100 rounds, but I was function testing because I just had a local gun smith do a moly finish on the slide and put a flat black KG Kote on top of that.  So I just had to shoot it to be sure, call me anal.  But it worked out ok because the RO had set aside a full box of .380 for me.

All in all not a bad day at the range.  :)

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    HEY....where are the pics of the new finish >:(

3. Easyrider49

Easyrider49 New Member

May 29, 2009
    Who did the Moly Finish for you , how much did it cost .

Pictures PLEASE

4. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Yea....Where are the pic's?????

John

5. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    My wife took the camera to CA with her. :(

As soon as she gets back I will snap some.

6. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Boy doesnt that make a person angry when you go to do some shooting and nothing goes wrong,it doesnt allow a person to practice clearing jambs,boy the bad luck. ::) ::) :eek:

7. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005
    I feel your pain, the nerve of Kel-Tec allowing me to get close to 1,000 trouble free rounds through mine! What the heck were they thinking when they sold me this thing? The next thing you know, I'll be forced to shoot another 1,000 through it just to see if something happens.

BTW, to hell with the shot a little carried a lot philosophy! Now that ammo is back in supply locally I plan to run some rounds through mine regularly again. The ONLY!!!!! problem I had with mine was my big meat hooks hitting the magazine catch the last range session while shooting with a tight 2 handed grip (the inner portion if my support hand was pressing against the magazine release, shooter induced!). I added the traction grips to my AT to see if that will give a bit of added leverage to mine to off set by support hand.

To prove that it was my support hand dropping the magazine, I shot it 1 handed with no malfunctions. Because this is a pocket pistol most of my shooting now is 1 handed from the strong side pocket while holding the support hand in a defensive manner (which is probably how it would go down anyway). My use of 2 handed supporting fire is just to prove to other that respectable groups can be obtained with this out to 25 yards which is what my department requires for back-up/off-duty qualifications.

8. Hikerman

Hikerman New Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Why can't they weigh more????
    I put it in my pocket, go for a walk and I forget it's there!

9. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005
    I have the same problem, why doesn't kel-tec own up to this as a flaw! Disappreaing pistols once inserted into a pocket, I demand an immediate recall! Now quickly, everyone mail their defective disappearing P3AT's to me at once before you too fall victim to this. I will be a team player here and take one for the team by accepting these defective pistols!

10. norfdet

norfdet New Member

May 27, 2005
    ******UPDATE ON RECALL OF DISAPPEARING P3AT's*********

Before sending your P3AT's to me please install a set of traction grips to make my life easier!

11. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Oh yeah how dare them not to charge $1000 for this pistol! I'm ashamed that I got this pistol and got to keep my arm and a leg!

12. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Turns out she forgot to take it out of the trunk when she flew out the other day.   ;D  So here are a couple of my pathetic attempts at photos, neither one is that great tbh:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He did a moly finish and then a flat black KG Kote on top and the whole deal was $35 which I felt to be a good deal.  I sweated on my P3AT with the factory blue finish and rusted it up (I have acid sweat I think).  Soaked to the bone the other day with my P32 in my pocket playing Golf in 90+ weather and not a spot on it.  For the record about 3/4 of the slide was covered by my nemesis PH, but the portion that was not did not even have a hint of rust.  

I would say I am very happy with the job that was done.  Lee the Gunsmith/owner is a friendly guy and very accommodating.  His is also an FFL and has done other work for me including trigger and Bob on my J-Frame, restoring my little FIE, etc.  I would recommend him for sure.  

I don't know if he has a website, but here is his info:

GPI Gunsmith Restorations and Refinishing
    6254 Powers Ave Suite One
    Jax, Fl  32217
    gpi2001@comcast.net

13. lee4019

lee4019 New Member

Jul 21, 2009

That was sarcasim lol but anyway, I'm guessing but is the PT3 the top one, they look like twins?

14. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yeah, the P3AT is on the top and leftish. The P32 is on the bottom. The newest P32's (this one is only a couple months old) are a little different then even older Gen2 P32s. The milled off portion on the slide that lightened the slide (dunno what it is officially called) is less deep and the way the sights are formed is a bit different, less gradual on the slope up to form them and probably a mm or so taller. It is hard to explain, you would have to see two very close up, probably in person, but the latest changes to the P32 make it look a lot more like the P3AT and weigh closer to the same. That being said it has run flawlessly so far and I got no complaints. :)