My reloads, Finaly got primers.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by regrip, Oct 6, 2009.

1. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Hope photos come through. Waited since May for primers. Used Starfire JHP and FMJ RN from Midway. Had not been to range for long time. I flinched a lot due to the inexperience of firing my own reloads, which is a first for me. This is the result I got at 15 feet with only 6 RN and 5 HP Starfire. I had no malfunctions of any kind with the 11 rounds I shot. I used the Max overall length for both when I reloaded, .984 max. But, the HP Profile is different than the RN. When I loaded the HP in the Mag. I only got one in, when loading the second one in the mag. the first one got stuck. This mag had not been used befor. I took the Mag I had been using and I was able to load 5 HP's in it. As you can see at 15 feet and not being at the range for a long time has hurt my aim. Anyway, I hope the photos come through. ( Had nothing better to do on the drizzly day).
    [[​IMG]img][/img]
    [[​IMG]img][/img]
    [[​IMG]img][/img]
    [[​IMG]img][/img]

2. TX380

TX380 New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    What brand of powder and bullets are you using?

3. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I used Accurat #2 powder with the Lee .30 disk with my auto loader on the turret press. I used Sierra?
    JRN, and Starfire JHP's. I seated the bullets at Maximun length which is .984 mm. The HP has a different profile than the RN. It hung up in the Magazine. I will need to seat the HP deeper in order to clear the Mag. Maybe down to .97, I will call Lee Precision and ask befor I reload again. I was pleased that I did not have any problem out of the 11 I fired. The load from the .30 auto disk was a little hotter than standard but does not exceed the maximun. I was a little leary about reloading but so far no problems and I am learning something new at age 65. It's very interesting. Tom :)

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Don't judge your JHP seating length depth based on fitting the magazine.

What you need to do is take the barrel out of your gun and chamber check your load to see if the bullet is hitting the rifling before fully seating in the chamber.

If it is, you need to seat shorter until it isn't.

Jamming the bullet into the rifling will cause an increase in pressure.

BTW: .984" is the SAAMI max length for a .380 ACP using a FMJ-RN bullet.
    Nothing more.
    It is not the recommended seating depth.

In general, a RN bullet will seat to .975" to provide magazine & rifling leade clearance.

JHP bullets usually have a different ogive shape, and will seat to between .900" - .950" OAL bepending on the exact bullet shape.

Do you have a powder scale?
    How much powder is your Lee .30 disk actually dropping?

rc

5. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks for that information, I will do the check you recomended. The scale showed 3 grains if I read it correctly?

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    O.K. 3.0 grains AA #2 is below a recommended starting load with most bullet weights, according to the Accurate powder guide I have.

They show Start & Max loads with:
    100 grain lead = 3.3 - 3.6.
    90 grain jacketed = 3.4 - 3.7.
    95 grain jacketed = 3.4 - 3.7.
    100 grain jacketed = 3.0 - 3.4.

Since you are already below a recommended starting load, there is no danger of seating as deep as you need to go.

rc

7. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    GP, I took out the barrel and used a empty case, seated a bullet only into the case until it hit the rifling. I was able to seat the bullet to a total shell length of 1 inch befor the bullet stopped hitting the barrel and the shell was seated in the chamber. I am going to call LEE and ask about the .30 disk load I am getting. The first time I talked to the technician I though he said the load would be slightly above the starting load spec. Thanks for your help. Tom :)

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Don't worry about what the guy at Lee said.

You have powder scales.
    Use them!

Every new can of powder you buy may drop different weights when measured by bulk like the Lee disk measure.
    Difference in solvent content or humidity in the powder can account for a variation in weight by volume measure.

It's not important what Lee tells you it drops.
    What's important is how much it ACTUALLY drops, with your powder, operated the way YOU operate it, when you weigh the charge on a scale.

rc