Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the P3AT, carrying in the front pocket with a holster is in my opinion the best way to utilize this pistol. With that said, I would prefer to carry it in my back pocket in a holster. I feel that the rear pockets handle heavier items better than the front pockets, and I'm willing to give up the advantages of front pocket carry for increased comfort. That's my decision, and you may not agree with it. If you don't, then this mod isn't for you.

The problem with most rear pockets is that they are too shallow. The best fix for this is to have a tailor either replace the rear pocket with a new one that is deeper than the original, or have him sew an extension onto the existing pocket. Either way, you are going to pay for his time. A simple length alteration nowadays is about $8 a pair of pants, so I can only imagine that the cost would be at least that much to alter the pocket.

My solution involves two easily obtained materials, a little cutting and measuring, a couple of stitches if you desire, and some ironing.

I bought 1 yard of white blouse material, and 1 yard of Wunder Under bonding agent from a fabric store. Total cost was $4.98, and I have enough for about 10 pockets.

Wunder Under is really a layer of glue on a paper backing. This allows you to press the glue onto a piece of material, and then peel the paper off leaving the glue behind. Then you put a second piece of material over the now exposed glue, and when you iron it, the two pieces of material are bonded together. The WU comes in different strengths, and I bought the heavy duty stuff.

In a nut shell, I cut the bottom of my right rear pocket off, cut a piece of blouse material to fit over my now open ended pocket, used the WU to glue the two together, stitched a couple of areas for added strength, and ended up with a deeper pocket to carry more comfortably.

Once again, I prefer rear pocket carry, but you may not.

All total, the project took me 1 hour, but that was because I pausing to take photos. If I had just worked straight through, it would have taken about 30 minutes. Now that I've done it once, I could repeat it again in about 15 minutes.

Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is what I did.

Be aware that these pics are being hosted on photobucket, and it's a free account. I don't know if there are any download limitations, but if you don't see the pics, that is probably the reason. If there is a daily download limit, you may have to wait 24 hours to view the pics if enough people ahead of you have used up the bandwidth.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. No wisecracks about my fat arse....lol.

Tim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too prefer rear pocket carry and bought several pair of Old Navy Cargo pants, this weekend, to accomodate my new P3.
The pockets are just barely deep enough but have a cover flap, which helps.

This mod looks like it would help too!

Excellant idea and tutorial!
Thanks

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Nice job and very well presented TIm.
Do you do alterations? ;D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great idea Tim. I can tell you have the true KT spirit. ;D
I have some pants that have a flap that goes over the pocket and that works well, but other pants like yours that aren't quite deep enough. I'll definitely use your idea.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Great idea!
Very well executed!
Very good presentation!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bravo! That was my only complaint w/ back pocket carry in the RJ Hedley. I attend a lot of sporting events, where security asks to see your beltline. The P3 looks like a wallet, but it's just a little too visible for my taste. This solves that problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback!

No, I don't do alterations :D . After evading the "marriage disease" for the first 35 years of my life, I was forced to learn how to mend my own clothes when needed. My sewing skills are only suitable for projects like this where the end result is hidden from view....lol.

I did forget to mention one last thing. If you try this for yourself, make sure that you err on the deep side. If you make the pocket even a smidge too shallow, then you've wasted your time. But, if you make the pocket a touch too deep, you can always correct that later.

Tim

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have nothing but praise for a person so determined to "CARRY"

I run into so many that think the holster can make the gun fit the pocket, and seem surprised when it doesn't..

GREAT JOB !

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I sewed my front pockets to fit the shape my P-3AT. Basically, if the seam of the pocket that is adjacent to the P-3AT's slide was not straight and perpendicular to vertical, then I sewed to correct that. Second, I sewed the bottom of the pocket so that it was completely flat and perpendicular to the first sew line in the horizontal plane (you can also adjust the height of this to make all your pockets a consistent depth). And third with the pants inside-out (but not the pocket inside-out) with the P-3AT inside the pocket. you can sew around the muzzle and trigger guard to complete a crude holster shape.

One mistake that I made initially was to sew the triggger guard area too far up towards the pistol's grip. Doing so interfered with the ability to slip my hand into the pocket and grab hold of the grip to draw.

I'd go ahead and experiment with an old pair of pants (or shorts - which would be easier to work with) and see what you come up with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a great option.

I'm using right front strong side carry. I was also considering sewing a simple horizontal strap inside the front pocket, that a standard Kel Tec belt clip could hang on, if the belt clip was attached for left hand carry.

Nothing else would go in that pocket, of course; the whole pocket would serve as holster/trigger cover, but the P-3AT would stay in correct position, unseen.

G

·
Although I prefer front pocket carry, I have to say this is a very interesting mod and also very well presented. Great job with the pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing the blue jean mod.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.