Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me.

I have been lured away from you on several occasions by promises from other brands and models of tiny guns that I could have something better, something just as pleasant to shoot and just as easy to carry, but with a more potent cartridge. I have been wrong. So very, very wrong. Again and again. I am so ashamed.

First there was the Diamondback DB9. Yes, I know, that was a silly, perhaps even stupid venture. Yes, it did go bang reliably ... but only if I had a total death-grip on the thing with both hands. And even then, it still hurt a bit to shoot. And there was no last round hold-open feature. And it was heavier and a tad thicker. But that thing is gone now.

Then there was the Kahr CM9. It was much more comfortable to shoot, but WAY thicker and heavier, enough that it made me wonder why I was bothering with that thing when I could have almost just as easily been carrying my P11 in the same place. And while I still have a P11, I figured out a long time ago what a goofy idea it is to try to carry THAT little brick in my back pocket. Ugh. Silly, silly, silly. But that thing is gone now, too.

And then there was the Sig Sauer P938. It shot beautifully. Well, aside from the fact that it had a VERY heavy trigger for being a single-action baby-sized 1911 (felt more like 7 or 8 lbs. to me, nowhere near as light as my "big boy" 1911's). And it was still fairly thick and heavy. Not TOO heavy or thick, but overall big enough that it only fit in the back pocket of a couple of my jeans. And thereupon I remembered how wonderfully you fit in the back pocket of ALL of my pants, anything from my fancy dress slacks to my comfy loose-fitting carpenter jeans to my workin'-on-cars, sorta-snug-fitting jeans. And that P938 had that silly thing on either side that always bothered me, that "manual safety" thing. Still dunno what I was thinking there. Pretty gun, and the night sights were neat, but ... that thing will also soon be gone.

And lastly there was the Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380, which had a name almost as long as the gun itself. The ammo was more expensive and harder to find in-stock, and there was only ONE brand and type of FMJ ammo that reliably penetrated at least 12" without OVER-penetrating to some stupid degree. And the trigger on that pistol sucked. Just plain SUCKED. Makes the trigger on my P11 feel like a Volquartsen match trigger by comparison. The grip texturing was stupid-rough, to the point that it felt like some amateur "stippling" job that someone had done with a tiny little soldering iron while drunk on cheap Wally World Caliber-brand rum. And the recoil was just ... unpleasant. Not as bad as an LCP, but not a heck of a lot better. Even adding those Talon Grips didn't help at all. And while those Talon Grips work great on all of my other pistols I carry on my waistline, they peel right off within a week when carried in the back pocket. And then I remembered how you NEVER required any fancy aftermarket stick-on grips to feel good and secure, how you never hurt me when I took you to the range, and how I could keep all of my shots on-paper at 10 yards with you without having to reeeeeeeeeeeeeally focus on every single shot. And now ... that thing will be gone soon, too.

And then, exasperated and embarrassed and humiliated, I came back to you. I unlocked that neglected little pistol safe, I took you out, and I held you. Remembered you. Put a magazine in you. Chambered a round. Topped off the magazine and put it back in. Poked you into your well-worn but comfy, trusty little pocket holster. And then slid you into my right-rear pocket, right where you love to be. Right where you belong. And right away, just after those first couple of steps I took away from the pistol safe, everything immediately felt so right again.

I'm sorry I ever doubted you. Sorry I underestimated you. Sorry I neglected you. Sorry I allowed myself to be led astray by temptation and false promises and silly curiosities. I'm through with all of the others. For real this time. For really-reals. For me, for all that you do, you are the one. The ONLY one. And now, everything will be all right again. I promise.

(At least until Kel-Tec or Ruger make a striker-fired .380 or .32 in your size.)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I will admit that I looked long and hard at a Kahr CM9 as a replacement. Luckily a friend let me try his for a day and it did not work at all. Never found a full 9mm that could replace it. I've never had that long of a conversation with mine though.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Very compelling Darkwriter...

Love .32ACP and must admit to glancing at others.....

But I did a lot of research before deciding on my P-32 and have not been disappointed.

Reality check completed, THX

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have carried a few different guns on my hip because I am always looking for the best carry option, but I have never, ever looked to upgrade or change my P32 that I pocket carry. I went from a Tomcat to the P32 and never looked back. I have always been faithful, I dont need to apologize.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I put my handguns in one of two categories: ones that will fit in my front pocket and are comfortable enough for me to carry on a routine basis, and those that are bigger. If bigger than the first category, they can be a lot bigger (for my purposes.) Category One contains only the P-32 and the Seecamp 32. My bigger gun is a Glock 22.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I went from a Tomcat to the P32 and never looked back. I have always been faithful, I dont need to apologize.
My previous post stated "and must admit to glancing at others"
Must confess it was the Tomcat I was referring to.
Duke my man, you have confirmed that restraint in this case was well founded.
THX

·
Registered
129 Posts
The P32 is a hard gun to walk away from, and some years ago in Gun Test magazine, The P32 outclassed EVERY other small .32 on the table including the Beretta and the mega expensive pocket .32s.

GT is/was known for no nonsense gun evaluations (they don't or at least didn't accept any gun ads) and bought guns off the shelf and put them through the knothole backwards in their tests. The KelTec P32 'smoked' every other gun in the test for reliability shootability and price.

Gray_Fox
"We warned you in 1862!"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey, Brawny,

Looks like the Cliffs of Moher, in Ireland!! My wife and I walked along the edge, all the way out to that ruin of a castle, which can be seen in the background of the photo you posted. So, whilst I am sure it was not your intent, in sharing this, I'm happy you did. Brought back a very special day for us, and a wonderful hike, even though it was rainy and a bit muddy!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

PS: I need to order a few more spare magazines for my Gen1 P32!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Darkwritter, your YouTube video was the one that put me over the top on convincing me to buy a P-32. After putting the first box thru it, I don't regret the purchase. Can't wait to finish shooting another 50 rounds thru the pistol. That will be Wednesday. If this box runs thru flawlessly, I will start carrying the pistol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.