Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Sweet. Are those old, authentic, or reproductions?
Those guns didn't go obsolete because they were wimpy, just slow to shoot / clean.

The colt walker is still the strongest hand gun ever issued to US soldiers.

Lop

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Are those old, authentic, or reproductions?
Those guns didn't go obsolete because they were wimpy, just slow to shoot / clean.

The colt walker is still the strongest hand gun ever issued to US soldiers.

Lop
All are reproductions, about half I built or made period correct. Cleaning is actually simple, pour hot water down the barrel a couple of times then hit it with some oil, very, very little oil. The hot water evaporates off the metal almost as fast as it's poured out. Slow to shoot is correct especially the rifled long guns, I swab the barrel with a damp patch then a dry patch after each shot to clean out the fouling. I don't really have to do that but it just makes it easier to load the next ball. The one on top is an Indian (India) made 1st pattern Long Land Musket, AKA the British Brown Bess. It's a .74 caliber smooth bore, much faster to load and fire but not very accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
How long was flint lock the popular ignition?
Not counting military adoption, which is usually 50 years too late in adopting changes.
Without looking it up, I would say flintlock was popular for some 250 years?? Certainly throughout the 1600 & 1700s, and well into the1800s for standard military issue.
Flintlock was no flash in the pan.
I had to say it :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RAT76

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
There is a nice Steak restaurant in Houston, The Taste of Texas, where, except for Christmas decorations in December, you can find rustic rifles and pistols all over the interior. This is in the waiting room.

Sorry for the shadows...

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Five D Cattle Company Steakhouse in Avinger, Tx has a fair number of nice old handguns on display. Food's pretty darn good as well.

Reactions: tzcomp

·
Registered
671 Posts
Five D Cattle Company Steakhouse in Avinger, Tx has a fair number of nice old handguns on display. Food's pretty darn good as well.
Are they the ones who used to offer that if you eat all of a 72 oz steak, it's free?

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Don't think so. East Texas, sorta in the middle between Longview, Tyler & Mt Pleasant.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No pictures now, but have a few...Very early TC Hawken percussion in 50, a flint 20 bore fowler I built from Jim Chambers parts, a flintlock Tennessee long rifle in 32 from Dixie parts, a 45 caliber flintlock long rifle I built from assorted parts, and a Euroarms Cook and Brother percussion 58 caliber carbine.
Handguns, an 1858 Remington, an 1860 and 1861 Colt, all replicas.
Even dove hunted with the fowler, nice patterns with it. Handles ball pretty well out to 50-60 yards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
These are all modern reproductions, but that doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for handling or shooting (or even cleaning) them... top to bottom:
1847 Walker
1851 Navy
1851 Navy Sheriff
1858 Remington

All but the '58 have replacement nipples from SliXprings (Slix-Shot Black Powder Nipples), which is the best upgrade you can do for reliability.

I do plan on acquiring a genuine 1860 some day, but most on GunBroker.com aren't authenticated, and I'm not particularly interested in spending a chunk on a well-made fake. :-( Still, one day the right beauty will come along.

I enjoy the connection to the Old West these old timers bring to me, and living in AZ and going BP revolver shooting in the Superstition Mountains is truly magnificent.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts