Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not ranting but maybe you guys can tell me the best way to get this going.

P11

My rear sight will not stay in place.
The hammer spring is weak, many ftf.
Trigger kills my finger.
The ejector's pin is afu and the ejector is loose.

I don't want to send it in so if I call Kel-tec will they send me parts?
I have had this pistol for about 5 yrs and only shot it once, about 40rds through it.

Should I just order the parts and just fix it?

What would you do?

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Just go to the FFL directly...what does the middle man do for you?
If you don't have an ffl that will ship for you, you must tell the shipper that you are shipping a handgun. They will typically only ship overnight, or one day, which costs more than $40.

·
Grand Poobah
1,429 Posts
Hi, not ranting but maybe you guys can tell me the best way to get this going.

P11

My rear sight will not stay in place.
The hammer spring is weak, many ftf.
Trigger kills my finger.
The ejector's pin is afu and the ejector is loose.

I don't want to send it in so if I call Kel-tec will they send me parts?
I have had this pistol for about 5 yrs and only shot it once, about 40rds through it.

Should I just order the parts and just fix it?

What would you do?
My rear sight came loose as you describe as well. I bought the replacement set with an assortment of sights from Kel Tec. This sight package has three rear sights of different heights, and two front ones of differing heights, I am not sure that any of these actually match what comes on the gun. I believe this package is more to adjust elevation than to be a source of replacement parts. None of the supplied rear sights matched mine, which was the original. Furthermore, none of these sights would go into the dovetail without damaging them in such away that they wouldn't stay put. It turns out that I had a burr in the dovetail, and cleaning it up with a triangular file helped tremendously.

I tried to buy a SCCY CPX-series sight which is a metal sight that will fit the P-11 dovetail, as some on this forum have done. However, they would not sell me one without a SCCY serial number. I guess they caught on. (Mental note: write down the serial number of the next SCCY CPX pistol I see.)

I ended up replacing my rear sight with a metal one that a guy was making and selling on ebay. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. These sights are not without issues. They don't have dots, or dimples to paint in your own dots, and their shape is more likely to snag on something when you draw the gun than the stock ones, but they do have a set screw, so they stay put.

Another option is the Twisted Industries sight kit, but I have no firsthand experience with these.

If your gun was new when you bought it, most likely your hammer spring is fine, barring overstretching it when taking it out. Another likely culprit for light strikes is crud in the firing pin channel. Sometimes, metal shavings from the primers accumulate in the firing pin channel over time, and it is also not unknown for these guns to come from the factory with debris in the firing pin channel. The screw in the top of the slide might be too tight as well, since its job is to retain the firing pin. To remove the firing pin for inspection, unscrew the screw, being careful to catch the spring loaded firing pin. Clean out the channel, reinstall the spring and firing pin. Mash it in with something while tightening down the screw. Tighten it until it stops, then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Use Blue Loctite on the screw to keep it in place, but allow for future removal. (Note: Buggering up the threads at the end of this screw, making it hard to remove, is the main reason you shouldn't dry fire a P-11 without a snap cap.)

The painful trigger is a perennial problem. Solutions range from heating it and straightening it out a bit, filing the tip smooth, putting some shrink wrap on it, installing the Kel Tec trigger shoe, to outright replacing it with something else. I installed the Northwood trigger on mine. It is a definite improvement.

Your ejector sounds normal. They do shake around a bit. If the forward-pointing finger is intact (not bent and extending out over the mag well maybe about 1/8 inch) it probably doesn't need attention. Even if it is broken, the gun is likely to eject rounds just fine, except for maybe, the last one in a magazine, or during hand-cycling. Some years ago, there was a rash of bad extractors and the finger would break off. Most people it happened to noticed it when they were cleaning the gun.

I don't think I would bother to send it in. If your gun was not new when you got it, I would consider replacing the recoil springs and getting a new firing pin for it, in the off chance yours is broken.

Edited to add: If you call Kel Tec, ask for Customer Support instead of Sales, they might send you what you need at no charge. It can't hurt to ask. Even if you do end up buying parts, the small parts tend to be inexpensive.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you must tell the shipper that you are shipping a handgun. They will typically only ship overnight, or one day, which costs more than $40.
No when you ship a handgun you "must" ship it next day which is 90$+.

I know this because I have sold several handguns to out of state people and never had paid less that 90$ via UPS. I have read all the laws on shipping firearms. Yes you can ship just ground and not mention a firearm and get away spending 22$ and about 3 days, but it's risky. How do I know this, I just do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, please do not take me as being a smartass, that is truly not my intention. I have heard that people have received parts from KT and they chalk it up "under warranty" but it seems I cannot get this. I quit buying from most manufacturers except for Springfield, Henry, Ruger and it depending on the problem with Les Baer,when they say warranty it means warranty, absolutely no money out of your pocket, ZERO. You drop it off at UPS and it comes back to your house. That leaves me with Kel-Tec, Colt and Just Right Carbine. When I sell the Kel-Tec and JRC I will not own another. I will put up with it with Colt. I have a 1976 70 series 1911 and 2 AR's which never have a problem so I do not think they will ever need warranty work.

My point is that the "Lifetime warranty" you read about isn't my definition of "Lifetime warranty". Too me warranty means I do not pay anything, this is what led to me buying these firearms I have. I'm just cheap that way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have heard that people have received parts from KT and they chalk it up "under warranty" but it seems I cannot get this. .
If you're not the original purchaser, the K-T warranty doesn't apply. Their policy, they get to decide, just like any of the other manufacturers you listed.

Warranties have always had some stipulations and fine print, nothing new there.

Guess this falls under the "it's not fair" outlook of the snowflakes? :nuts:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warranties have always had some stipulations and fine print, nothing new there.
Not always, look at the Bushnell warranty for their top 8 rifle scopes and Nikon's warranty as well. I think Bushnell and Nikon have the absolute best rifle scope warranty in the industry. No fine print other than Nikon, you need to be the original owner. Bushnell doesn't care if you throw the scope out the window of a moving truck, it will be replaced.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not always, look at the Bushnell warranty for their top 8 rifle scopes and Nikon's warranty as well. I think Bushnell and Nikon have the absolute best rifle scope warranty in the industry. No fine print other than Nikon, you need to be the original owner. Bushnell doesn't care if you throw the scope out the window of a moving truck, it will be replaced.
Not so much.

Here's Bushnell's load of qualifiers..

* This warranty is valid for qualifying products within Bushnell Elite Tactical, Elite, Legend, Trophy Xtreme, and Trophy Riflescopes, Binoculars, and Spotting Scopes purchased after January 1st, 2016. This warranty excludes electronic components, Laser Rangefinders, Red Dots, Trail Cameras and cosmetic damage that does not affect the product’s operation or performance (as determined by Bushnell), loss, theft, and damage as a result of unauthorized repair, modification, or disassembly by someone other than a Bushnell Authorized Service Department. Bushnell will, at our option, repair or replace the product with one of equal or similar value and/or specifications.

So that awesome lifetime coverage only extends to products purchased since January, 2016 :rolleyes:...got a Bushnell older than that? No warranty.

I bet ya in January, 2018, they'll re-write their warranty policy to extend lifetime coverage to listed scopes purchased after January, 2017.

For older stuff, Bushnell lays out more restrictions & disqualifiers:

Lifetime Limited Warranty

Since 1984, the majority of our Bushnell sports optics products have been covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Outdoor Products guarantees these products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians.

Make sure you got your sales receipt handy, and hope they don't deem your
scope damage as "abuse".

Not even gonna bother to check Nikon's...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.