My painted sights (spin-off from other thread)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jdeere_man, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jdeere_man

jdeere_man New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    The other thread (http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175711868) was getting pretty long and I don't like to wade through a bunch of pages, so I decided to start a new one. Hope that's ok.

This is not my original idea, but a genuine copy cat of the op in the original thread.

I was kindly provided with the paint information. FYI, it's Testors FLUOR. Orange #1367 and FLUOR. Green #1362. After doing a little looking I was able to find it at Wal-Mart, in of all places, the kids toy section. I found it interesting that at the register I had to be 18 to buy it. Obviously not a problem. [smiley=laugh.gif] Paints were $1.07 each and I bought a paint brush (Testors #0 synthetic round) which cost me more than both paints combined $2.97. I'm pretty sure for a job this small a good paint brush is a requirement. Total about $5.50 OTD with enough paint to do probably hundreds of sights.

I had to apply 3-4 coats of the orange on the front to get good coverage. 2 coats of the green seemed to do it. I'll be real interested to see how this holds up. Overall I'm pleased and do think it will aid is sight acquisition. You'll notice on my chrome slide the paint isn't as pronounced as the blued slides. Also my flash on the camera makes the paint stand out more than I think it does in person. Don't be too harsh on my pics, I don't have a $1000 camera to take real good macro pics, so I did the best I could.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    looks good to me...i carefully used a toothpick to apply my sight paint.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Looks like a nice paint job. Don't feel you need to make any appologies for the photos, they look just fine.

I've gone through several simular paint schemes with my P3AT but what I finally settled on is white front sight and a white stripe down the notch portion of the rear sight. In other words its a "dot-the-i" sighting system. Works good for me and though I've not tried it I'm thinking that you might be able to make a slight left or right "sight adjustment" by painting a little thinner "i" and positioning it a little left/right under the rear sight notch.

4. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    You did real good. There is some stuff you can get also at W.M. called Hard As Nails. A clear coat that kind of stuff that a woman will put on over her finger nail polish to keep it from chipping off. :cool:

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Holy cow, dude. That's the best site job I have seen yet. :cool:

I haven't tried hard as nails, but have been using liquid bandage for about 6 months now over the paint on my chromed slide. Without some kind of hard coating over the paint, you may find that the paint rubs off in a week or two due to friction against the holster.

6. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    It's in the model making area of the toy section.  I don't know if there has been a run on the orange and green for sights, but they only had one of each.  I want to do some experimenting on some other sights so I got a white and a flat black also.  The check-out couldn't figure why she got 4 notices to check my age.   ;D  Interesting.  Thanks for the information.

G2S

7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I ended up going to Hobby Lobby and getting thier (model master) floresent orange as WM was always out.