Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a 380 from a local pawn shop. I have had it out shooting a couple of times and cleaned it after each use. First, I really like the gun. I am reasonably accurate with it. At 25 yards all of my shots would be kill shots. I love the feel of the trigger. And the sights, while minimal, are easy enough for me to use. I have also shot the s&w bodyguard. I like the kt a lot better.

I am having one small problem. Frequently the gun will jam. The casing is ejected fine, but the next round is stuck at the bottom of the feed ramp. I have shot two different brands of fmj rounds as well as a small box of critical defense. I Haven't had this problem with the hornady rounds. Only the rounded fmj bullets. I have a box of federal fmj to try soon. I don't recall the other two brands, but they were cheaper ammo. I can usually just give the gun a little shake or pull on the slide to chamber the round.

Is this something that is associated with the break in period? I was hoping since the gun was used it would already be through this. But maybe the previous owner didn't fire many rounds through it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hornady will almost always function 100%. With the sharp nose it glides right in. Try polishing your feed ramp starting with 600 grit and then 1000 and then 1500. After that I bet you have no issues. Also use grease on the rails and inside the slide where the barrel contacts. I have several 1000 rounds through mine now and it will feed anything I feed it without any failures up to around 100 rounds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 on Rebootit's solution.

there are break-in periods for some owners. 100 or so and then smooth sailing as long as you clean and lube often. perhaps you could also have a gunsmith take a look. I really hope you are able join the ranks of innumerable happy owners like yours truly.

oh yeah, a line of white nail polish on the front sight helps me line up shots way faster in day or low light.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome to KTOG!

That is some really nice shooting with the P3AT. I'm jealous.

Another +1 on Rebootit's solution.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't be jealous of my shooting. Definitely not all bullseyes. I consider a shot hitting a man in the chest a kill shot. I shot this gun and my dads s&w on the same day, and I am far more accurate with the kt. The s&w has much better sights but the trigger pull is harder and not near as smooth.

Thanks for the advice. Until I get this lined out I just plan to keep it loaded with the hornady ammo.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
rebooit; ya help me, I went 1200,1500,1800,2400,3600,4000,6000, in a jiffy with a pencil. I had they stuff around here from the airport, "micromesh kit for canopies" ,, it's just fancy clothed backed sandpaper.. I was wanting to figure out how to get that deep luster and I be damn if that didn't do it.
Thanks

"leave a lamp on" p32/380 *G27 *Kahr380 *SubK/.40-G

·
Registered
108 Posts
i found for polishing the ramp a dremel tool with a buffing wheel and some jewelers rouge and it took about five minutes.... like a mirror!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shot all 50 of the federal ammo I had today. I only experienced the FTF about 5 times, which is far less than before. I haven't done any work on the ramp yet but am planning to follow the advice I've received. I really love this little gun and am very happy with the accuracy I get from it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the range again the other day. I shot a box of 50 fiochi and 2 clips of hornady. I experienced fewer ftf than before but still had a couple. I also experienced my first fte. I think the gun is nearing the end of it break in period. It was far less accurate this time around, however this is likely due to a combination of cheap ammo and my own inconsistencies. I'm still loving the gun.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I never had any feeding problems with my pistol, but it did feed alot smoother after i polished the ramp.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still planning to do that, but I've been a bit too busy/lazy to go get sandpaper.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got out to the range today. I put about 50 rounds through it and didn't have any failures. This trip puts me over 200 rounds altogether which makes me think the original owner didn't let the gun get through the break in period. My accuracy was good with federal FMJs at close range but not so hot at 25yrds. I'm loving this gun.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
alrite,,,, now I could prob talk u into reloading(if ya like to shoot a lot).. Well sound like your there. Don't forget the lube & blow out with air, I got all these tips on Ktog and relayed to you. monkey see monkey do! I have learned a few things where I live, and I live a KTOG TOO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
alrite,,,, now I could prob talk u into reloading(if ya like to shoot a lot).. Well sound like your there. Don't forget the lube & blow out with air, I got all these tips on Ktog and relayed to you. monkey see monkey do! I have learned a few things where I live, and I live a KTOG TOO.
I really dont understand, could you clarify please.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yea, read #11,#12,#13,#14, machew's thread about his kt380..

oh, and #6,7,8,&17&18, too!

rdemilt; don't forget that sand paper trick reboot helped me remember,,, sand paper sheets are cheap,, 1200,1500,1800,2400,3600,4000,6000..with pencil eraser, I swear it makes ramp look like mirror ...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to reload eventually, but am not quite ready to invest in the time or equipment at the moment.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sure glad it started running for you. I reload last hour or two at night, that way it doesn't mess up my day. If you do 380 only, the equipment is less than 150.00$.. Save all your shells for the shell holder. Actually cheaper than that on midway..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, I'm sure this was said a hundred times but watch out for limp wristing. Glad everything is breaking in and working out for you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another 50 rounds (federal fmj red box) 0 failures. I never got around to the f&b stuff and it appears to have broken in without it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts