Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since Keltec sell the frames very cheap I decided to jump on stippling my grip, Im tired of the slippery stock feel.

Before and After

Oh yeah, ported holes too.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Looks nice. Have you shot it since the porting was done? Did you port it yourself? It's kinda funny because some people complain about the stock grip being too rough on their hands. I put a Handal Jr on mine and I've been pretty happy with it. That's one of the nice things about KTs, you can modify them to suit your needs/wants and not worry about the cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have shot it with the ported holes, I did the porting job myself, its my third gun I do this on, it works great for following shots, and recoil is much less.

here is a video of my old Ruger LCP with the same porting job done. My hand barely moves :)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwkpX9M0T8[/ame]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks cool, but i bet the grip is ruff on the hand.
Its super ruff but the stippling rised the plastic and now it feels ticker than before, I love how it feels.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
cdesigns, You drilled the barrel with a mill press or drill press? How did you smooth inside of barrel after drilling. I was wanting to make slide hole a tiny larger oval shape, what u think?
It does take the shock out and your groups are better.

Can ya give us some machine work tips?

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
Since Keltec sell the grips very cheap I decided to jump on stippling my grip, Im tired of the slippery stock feel.
I don't find anything slippery about the P3AT grip. It is essentially already stippled and quite "grippy."

here is a video of my old Ruger LCP...
The LCP is another story. It does have a rather slick, untextured grip that would be a better candidate for stippling IMO.

·
Registered
250 Posts
cdesigns, You drilled the barrel with a mill press or drill press? How did you smooth inside of barrel after drilling. I was wanting to make slide hole a tiny larger oval shape, what u think?
It does take the shock out and your groups are better.

Can ya give us some machine work tips?
Ditto....give a run down on your procedure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will put info on how to do it and the tools I use for it. I will say I used a small file to smooth the edges inside the barrel. You need a good drill bit because that barrel is HARD the LCP is butter compared to the P3AT barrel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I will put info on how to do it and the tools I use for it. I will say I used a small file to smooth the edges inside the barrel. You need a good drill bit because that barrel is HARD the LCP is butter compared to the P3AT barrel.
Yet another reason to buy a P-3AT over an LCP. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yet another reason to buy a P-3AT over an LCP. ;)
I broke 2 drill bits trying to drill the P3AT barrel, its super hard. The LCP barrel got drilled very easylly (not a good thing). Keltec makes good barrels.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks very nice. I was reading another thread referring to porting the barrel. Someone suggested it may direct gasses toward your eyes when point shooting with the gun in a low position. Have you experienced anything like this since doing the porting?

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Looks very nice. I was reading another thread referring to porting the barrel. Someone suggested it may direct gasses toward your eyes when point shooting with the gun in a low position. Have you experienced anything like this since doing the porting?
Go back a page and watch his video. Gasses and flame shooting straight up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice work! I'm interested in how you did the porting as well. Does porting take away anything from the fired round like velocity or energy? I'm not real familiar with this tech.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Nice work! I'm interested in how you did the porting as well. Does porting take away anything from the fired round like velocity or energy? I'm not real familiar with this tech.
Porting will cause a drop in velocity and therefore energy as well. How much will depend on how the porting is done and could also depend on the pistol and ammo used. Really the best way to know would be to check the velocity of the same ammo from one gun that has ports and another gun that doesn't have ports.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Porting will cause a drop in velocity and therefore energy as well. How much will depend on how the porting is done and could also depend on the pistol and ammo used. Really the best way to know would be to check the velocity of the same ammo from one gun that has ports and another gun that doesn't have ports.
It looks nice, but...
Based on what I feel is right for me...
I find the factory grip has a lot of bite to begin with. And as mine is a carry gun, and it can be argued that the 380 round is short on power, I would never port such a short barrel. But the only way to know if porting really effects performance would be some side by side testing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys Im making a cad design with measurements on where to drill and what drill bits to use. I will post them as soon is ready.

As far porting and reducing power, YES it will reduce the velocity of the bullet but my gun is very acurate on 15 - 20 yards. Self Defense scenarios are normally at close range, and even at 15 yards it will do the job. It reduces recoil a lot good for follow up shots hitting the target and for small hands. I did it more for the looks :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
He ported for looks and better control, less kick recoil. Traded a little power for control. Be looking for the print out.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm not against porting and I think there are quite a few myths and misinformation about it. I recently traded my G23 for a G23C and most people I tell give me the "porting is bad" speech. The only ported pistol I've tried was a G19C and I was amazed at the lack of muzzle flip. I found a good video on the glock porting that was very informative. Porting won't really change the recoil it's more about reducing the flip to allow faster follow up shots. Porting is a personal preference and not for everyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts