MY P3AT LOOKS SMOOTH

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by krunchnik, Jul 29, 2009.

1. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I have been reading about all the fluff and buff,I have a question-should I do some polishing before my first range visit,I have checked a lot of the rough points from other posts and my particular pistol looks to be pretty smooth and finished in these areas.I have the gen 2 with the hard chrome slide if that makes any difference.I would appreciate any opinions on this matter.Thanks in advance. :)

2. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Personally, I'd try shooting it first. That's what I did with my 2nd gen P3AT, and I had no issues with it.

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If your feed ramp, hood, and chamber are nice and shiny, and the hammer interface and slide rails are smooth you probably won't gain much with an F&B.

Make sure the gun is well lubed and use grease on the slide rails. You want it to run as smoothly as possible.

A lot of dry firing using snap caps between now and going to the range will help to smooth out the action a lot and save using precious ammo to do the same job. Dry firing can also help you to acquire the best trigger control for this particular gun.

Congrats on the new gun - clean, lube, shoot, and enjoy!!

Bobo

P.S.
    Some say the hard chromed slides run the smoothest due to the harder/smoother surface.

4. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks all for the quick response time,I will try to make it to the range tomorrow so this info helps. :D

5. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    It all depends on the gun. My HC wouldn't shoot anything but Winchester after 200 rounds or so until I did a really good fluff and buff to get the places needed to a high shine. Once buffed, it will shoot anything I stick in it. Now if I can just find ammo to shoot!

6. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Yeh,I know all I can find is the remanufactured at about $22.00 a box,but thats OK for range use,I have 20 rounds of Winchester 95 Grain Silvertips set aside for carry ammo only.

7. XsYang

XsYang New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Yeh,I know all I can find is the remanufactured at about $22.00 a box,but thats OK for range use,I have 20 rounds of Winchester 95 Grain Silvertips set aside for carry ammo only.[/quote]

Make sure you fire at least a magazine full of the Silvertips to make sure your gun likes them.

8. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I would shoot it first. That way if there are any problems you know that it was not any modifications that you did. I figured if it was something major and it needed to go back to the factory it would be better if I hadn't already messed with it. But if it was a minor issue that a fluff and buff would fix I could always do it after the first day at the range. Mine worked flawlessly and yours will probably be the same.

9. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Congrats! Run some rounds down the tube before you mess with it.

10. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I've never owned a semi-automatic pistol that I didn't spend alittle time polishing the feed ramp and chamber. It's just good insurance, doesn't cost anything, and is fun to do. All my auto's shoot anything!

Copterdrvr

11. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Well I went to the range yesterday and for the most part the pistol shot OK,I had 2 FTF and cured that problem with a tighter grip on the gun.After that all went well.I am surprised at how accurate these pistols are,I actually had a very good 3 inch group at about 18 feet,I am impressed that this small and very light firearm is this accurate.I did order a extra mag and 2 mag finger extensions which should allow for a even better grip on the gun. ;D