My p3at is starting to rust

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by FastEddie, Feb 26, 2008.

1. FastEddie

FastEddie New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Ok so its not a big deal but my parkerized p3at is rusting a bit. I oil it and it helps but Im in sticky humid Florida and it still happens a bit. Where would you guys recommend sending my noisy cricket to get nickle or hard chrome on all the parkerized parts? I thought about traiding it in but I have had this one (as many of you know) for a while and she always goes bang.

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I have no idea about getting it chromed but I would love some chrome or stainless magazines as well. Wish they made those. I guess you could do one of those Brownell bake on jobs. Those seem interesting.

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  4. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    +1 on Jack's plating job. It's quite a bargain.

5. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    if you wish for a DIY....a $30 can of gun kote will last a life time...if you are close to west palm , i can help you out....gpr

6. FastEddie

FastEddie New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I am 30 min from west palm so I am pretty close. I am kind of liking the nickle job Jack does to. I may need to sleep on this one but I need to do something to stop the rust.

7. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    the gun kote i have is matt silver....the color comes real close to the hard chrome color...to take apart, sand blast, coat, bake, takes about three hours....let me know...gpr

8. FLA2760

FLA2760 Active Member

Aug 22, 2005
    +2 on Jack Fusiler. He chromed the slide of my P32 and nickel plated the slide of my  P11. Excellent work, quick turnaround and reasonable prices. He also did my P32 magazines in nickel.  :cool:

9. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Jack Plate Job:

Jack did my entire gun (P3AT), slide, mags, and extensive fluff & buff. He is not accepting complete guns anymore (if he was, I would love to send my SU-16C to him for his fluff & buff).

He does great work and is really inexpensive. Since he worked on my P3AT, I've never had a problem of any type...even loading the mag together with ultra-light "exotics" with heavy grain ammo!

Jack is the BEST! :)

10. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Guys,

Back "in another life", I collected money from restaurant video games, sound systems, and change machines. As such, my CCW gave me a strong sense of protection, though, thank God I never had to use it!!

However, as I carried every single day, and got extemely sweaty servicing said equipment, rust was my contant enemy!! My poor Sig P220 was completely covered in rust, on the body-side of it, in just ONE day of using it on that gig!! :eek: :eek: :'( I began using my Sig P230 stainless steel .380, which fared much better, rust-wise, but it never gave me the feeling of confidence that my .45 had. So, I got a Colt Lightweight Officer's .45 ACP, in hopes that it would prove more rust-resistant: It didn't!! :( :( Next, I sent it to a well-known .45 Pistol-smith, and had him industrial hard-chrome the slide and a few other parts. This helped a good deal, but interestingly, did not completely do away with my rust problems!! So, I ended up making sure I always had a nice container of Rig Universal, and every single night, when I was unhorsing my Colt, I'd wipe down the steep parts, hard-chromed, or not, and that was the end of my rust problems. FYI, hard-chroming, by itself, can still allow rust to come through....... depending on the composition of your sweat, I guess. A good grease, like Rig Universal, or Rig +P Stainless Steel Lube, will keep your guns rust-free, when used regularly. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. old_ironsights

old_ironsights New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    If you can find someone doing plating with electroless-nickel, your problems with rust will be over. It usually very inexpensive.

12. customizedcreation

customizedcreation New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I ve heard of people having problems with their sweat being highly conductive to producing rust on their guns. I must be lucky, since I sweat like crazy and never had an issue with any of my guns, or my polished parts on my guns. And to make it worse, I dont wipe them like I probably should !! :eek:

13. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Greetings,

This is a little known, but absolutely true fact!! Back in my days as a professional musician, I played in one band with a Mexican fellow who played bass and also doubled on trumpet. He was really "into" the hottest peppers you could find, and ate them with abandon with most every meal. His sweat was SO acidic, that he had to have his trumpet replated several times each year!! :eek: :eek: His sweat would eat right through the plating on his horn, and the strings on his bass guitar had to be replaced after only a few days of play, all the time!! He wasn't "into" guns, but I'd bet his sweat would have eaten the bluing off a pistol, and possibly most types of plating, too, in no time!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. customizedcreation

customizedcreation New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    LOL talk about being "HOT" haha. Yeah that is an interesting idea there. I can totally see what you mean by it.

What was that saying.....You are what you eat ???