My P3at is going in today.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by nmshooter, Feb 9, 2009.

1. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Not entirely sure as to what happened. Went out shooting on Saturday, brought the Ruger KP90, Remington VTR R-15 (got great groupings btw) and my p3at. I fired the 3at last and it seems like I am clearing up my FTE problem by lubbing properly since I only had one FTE whereas every single one.

Anywho, I get home, install my police scanner in my truck and start cleaning guns. Lastly, I start on the 3at. I pull the slide back about 1/8" and pull out the pin and then try to remove the slide but it will not budge. I pulled, pushed did everything I could do try to release the slide but no luck.

Not knowing what to do, I dry fired the pistol hoping that would work. This is the way I dissasemble my XD but that didn't work either.

I started pulling the pins out hoping that it would loosen something up. Nothing.

Hmmm. I took a break, watched some t.v. and went back to it. Somehow the 3at's slide came out with an assembly of springs and parts that I hadn't seen yet >:( ;D

I am going to call keltec today and send it in and have them look at that and maybe replace the ejector. Anything else I should have them look at just to be preventative?

2. molachi

molachi Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    I can't think of anything else to look at. Definetly bad luck what happed :(

John

3. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    o.k. I'm sure it was induced by something I did. These things just don't spontaneously combust.

It's o.k., I have faith in kel-tec's warranty. I have heard nothing but good things about them from you guys. Fortunately, this will be the first time I have ever had to call.

I'll call this afternoon so i can wait and hopefully get some input b4 I call.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Did you remove the frame maybe? Not sure why the slide wouldn't come off. If you can post some pics, that might help someone figure out the issue before you send it to the mother ship.

CJ

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The slide not coming off on a relatively new P3AT is sorta normal.

the little burr on the frame where the spent cases hit will make the slide hard to remove, thus the recomendation to file it down as it devolps till it gets right

Then the other would be where the head on the guide rod digs a little groove into the frame as it pivots durring recoil.

Both of these requires several hard impacts with a soft face hammer to get the slide off.

Pulling the trigger makes things WORSE. the height of the hammer will now TRY to rotate farther foward and lift the slide and jam up.

By pulling the frame pins and possible the hammer axis, you get a handful of parts

6. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Main cause for this problem is the guide rod head flarig or creating a knotch that it gets stuck in. I had to fiddle with mine for a while befor I could get it free. Then I checked the rod head and the space where it seats on the bottom of the barrel and smoothed off the rough places I found. I have not had any problems lately. No other pins should be removed for standard breakdown for cleaning. Good luck to all others that see this problems. :)

7. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, Ktog was down when I really needed it but torrent convinced me that I could fix it and he walked me through the complete reassembly.  (Trust me, I can take it apart just fine)

I think what you guys described is what happened.  I need to double check the burrs on it and when I pulled out the pin, well of course the parts starting flying.  

Also, yes, I realized that pulling the trigger was a bad idea after I did it.  (I am still talking about fixing the gun  ;))  

With torrent guiding me on messenger, we got it back together.  A little tricky for me and I had trouble with the 272, 273 parts fitting together like they should but I finally figured it out.  

So...Thanks Torrent!!! :)

8. molachi

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Glad to hear it is back together and ready to go back to the range.. :)

John

9. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Buddy, where I come from we don't worry about it. I admit I would like to have a dollar for every time you typed "the spring keeps falling out". ;D Glad it's funcitonal again :)

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Not to  sound cheesy but this is why I'm a member here @ KTOG. Good people that really try and help each other out.

:)
    CJ

11. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 Guest

Sep 19, 2006
    Good job, guys.

This is why KTOG rocks!

12. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Heck yea. I was all sad too becuause the day after I thought I broke it my shipment of .380 ammo came in. Salt to the wound then.

She's back in operation and good weather permitting I need to go test my hornady critical defense bullets.

Gotta love ktog.

13. molachi

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Let us know how the Hornady works. Got a box myself but haven't had a chance to try them out yet..

John

14. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Will Do. I am nervous to shoot those high $ bullets but I guess I'll just shoot one or two magazines and ensure the feed and fire well.

15. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I put 50 rds. of Hornady Critical Defense through my P3AT about a month ago, and they worked perfect, they are now my primary carry rd. Jim <><

16. molachi

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Thanks for the info Jim

John

17. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Nice. That seems to be the consensus around here. I don't know how many pages of bullet reports I went through.

18. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    And they are only $17.95, for 25, saw on one of the ammo sales posts today. Got my 4 boxes a month ago for $17.75 ea.  Jim  <><