Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been reading this forum for 2 months. All the good info convinced me to purchase one 30 days ago. Paid $275 here in MT. Serial #J6Z07 Blued Model.
Followed the Forum advice and did a good "Fluff and Buff" and prescribed proper greeseing and oiling, prior to shooting. Performed perfectly with round ball ammo for the first 50 shots. Brought it home , cleaned it and went out the next week for further testing. Ran 40 shots of Federal Hydroshock Hollow Points thru it with no problem. Switched to round ball ammo and had a few failure to extracts. (Casing seemed to stick halfway out in the chamber.) Took it home, cleaned it and went out again. Ran another 40 shots of Federal Hydro's thru it with no problem. Switch to round ball (American Eagle) and experienced 5 failures in the next 50 rounds. (Failure to completely extract,)
Then I remembered that I had Dremel polished the feed ramp, but did not go into the chamber at all. So I Polished the Dog **** out of the Chamber ...... so shiny my bore light reflecting out of the barrel almost blinded me. Next trip to the range ....... 100 shots of round ball followed by 40 shots of Hydros, and not a single FTE. Followed up the next week with the same positive results.
Only problem now is that pesky Peening issue ..... and it looks like my serial # is the most recent one on the peening issue thread. I have sent for some washers, cause I am so happy with the performance of this little lightweight jewel, that I can't justify sending it off right now. So I too, like alot of other P3AT owners will wait for the reassurance that replacement slides will not have the peening issue. For all you disbelievers out there ..... I have a 340 PD Scandium 357 Snubby with Big Dot front sights, and Crimson Trace 405 laser grips. (11 oz gun) I can shoot the P3AT more accurately than the 340 using the Laser sights. I get 1 more shot out of the P3AT, plus its 4 oz. lighter. Yes it is slightly under powered, but it is always with me ! I would pay twice the asking retail for the P3AT. Just my 2 cents.

G

·
Welcome to KTOG Dennis.

I love the do it yourself approach to these lil guns.

It is one of the reasons I bought mine.

I have always been scared to do anything agressive with my other guns. (I usually only buy high $ guns.) With the small investment on the KT, and with KT's willingness to let us do most of the work, I thought it would be fun.

AND IT IS!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
I have always been scared to do anything agressive with my other guns. (I usually only buy high $ guns.) With the small investment on the KT, and with KT's willingness to let us do most of the work, I thought it would be fun.

AND IT IS!
Same here. I have never messed with any of my other guns and while my P3AT has been perfect I have played around with it. Just minor things, nothing agressive. It has been fun and I have learned some things in the process.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
I never messed around with any other guns UNTIL I learned from working on my P3ATs. I have a lot more confidence now in exploratory learning about my other weapons.

As my best friend and I growing up used to say "If it ain't broke - take it apart and find out why not!"

-Scott

G

·
adamsesq said:
As my best friend and I growing up used to say "If it ain't broke - take it apart and find out why not!"

-Scott

Me too Scott... I was always tearing up toys, winding up with the little electric moter, two wires, and a 9v battery.

Bet you touched one of those batteries to your tounge more than once?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.