My P3AT died today at the range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gwamp, Jul 27, 2008.

1. gwamp

gwamp New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Today was not a good day at the range.  I was 3 rounds into my second mag and then the trigger refused to pull.  I pulled the slide back to clear the chamber and I noticed this:

[​IMG]

Here is a frontal view of the spring:

[​IMG]

That pretty much ended my day at the range.  I came home and took the gun apart and noticed a fair bit of internal damage that was not present last week when I cleaned it.

[​IMG]

The spot where the end of the recoil rod rests in the frame is now very rough and there is a ding in the frame that you can see in the upper left hand corner of that picture.  

Here is the recoil rod:

[​IMG]

It is almost square now.

Here is the outside of the slide.  You can see where the hole there is wallowed out.

[​IMG]

The springs are all bent as well.

[​IMG]

I am sure that Keltec will make good on this, but I may have a problem trusting this gun again as my CCW piece.  It is a J serial # gun and I have about 520 rounds though it.  500 of that being the Aguila FMJ ammo and the rest being Corbon's DPX.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    unfortunately, gwamp is in that newbie <26 post limbo and not able to view the trading post and there is NO commerce in the gun sections.

the "bad slide" due to drilling the pilot hole for the guiderod too deep was noted many months back.  here is a post where people were recording the serial number range of HZU00 to J8U00
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1174849102

there was a discussion of making repairs that would be in this post with several links
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172726400/0#0

so the opition of fixing it your self is not aplicable until you get a few more post.

I will add, I acqired a slide from torrent that was that severe, i then drilled the peined area out completely so that the nylon insert would press in backwards and have put about 100 rounds through it with no sign of wear

The frame wear where the rod head sits is about normal for all P3ATs, including the flat spot on the rod head.

4. gwamp

gwamp New Member

Nov 18, 2006

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just send this back to the factory as I just don't have time to mess with it in between work and school.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Did your serial number fall in that range

that was also slides manufactured between 7/2006 and 3/2007. from the search, it looks like you got yours around 12/2006

6. gwamp

gwamp New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Yep, J3018 is my #

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I've got two P3ATs with my older one, J2Rxx showing the same peening. Arrested the advance of the peening by using a nylon washer bought from a member of KTOG. My new P3AT needs another 100 rounds or so through it before it becomes my carry and the J2Rxx slide gets sent back to Kel-Tec for replacement.

Kel-Tec will make it right I'm sure...

Take care...

8. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    League City TX
    My serail # jbnxxx am I good or not ? 350 t0 400 rds. thru it, fluff buffed and had no real issues with after break in. Waitng on concealed license and took it out today and ran some Magtech hollow points thru form 7rd mag no problems. Sent in my completed forms 6/10 so it shouldn't be long. They say 6 weeks her in TX.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    JB is later than J8. there should be a HISTORY link in one of the links I referances that talks about how thin the metal was around the hole on the ones that peinned out.

10. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Peening, and to the point of failure.  Been there, almost done that.  Send the slide back and KT will replace it for free.  I had my new slide inside of a week and it has been good ever since.  

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Whew! I was wondering the same thing. Mine is JBWxx. I still have one of your washers installed - just in case. No signs of peening on my little buddy.

12. gwamp

gwamp New Member

Nov 18, 2006
    The gun is headed off to the factory today. Hopefully everything will work out OK as I like this little gun.

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

You sent the whole gun? Is that what Kel-Tec said to send? I was hoping that only the slide needed to be returned.

Thanks...

14. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
  15. wilderness_wandere

wilderness_wandere New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Uh Oh... I think I may have a bit of this "peening" myself. Hopefully it will not progress and I'll be able to track down one of these famous washers.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Does Yours fall in that serial number range.?

17. slf

slf New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I was able to send in just the slide. That way you don't have to jump thru the gun sending hoops. No problems or extra cost on just parts