My P3AT died at the range today

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ArmedBadger, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ArmedBadger

ArmedBadger New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I went to my local range today with my P3AT. I fired about 20 rounds, then the hammer wouldn't cycle. I brought it to the gunsmith at the range and he said he never seen anything like it. The hammer was moving back, but not enough to cycle.

He stated that it would be shipped to Kel-Tec tomorrow and I should have it back in 2 weeks or so. The worst part was when I got home and the UPS guy showed up with my mag extension.

I've heard Kel-Tec's customer care is great but I never had to use them before. Just an all around bad day. :-/

2. Reneker

Reneker New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Sorry about the trouble with your P3AT. I had a P-40 and a P-32 do the same thing. They were very early production (year 2000 I think). They did not break down until around 2008. Kel-Tec repaired the P-40. They replaced the P-32 with a new 2nd gen model. Neither had very many rounds through them. On the other hand my P-11 has been trouble free as has my PF9 but I have only had the PF9 about a month or so. As much as I have always had a fondness for Kel-tec's the same failure in two of my Kel-Tecs gives me pause. The P-32 and P-40 were both purchased on the same day in 2000. On both the hammer would move as if to fire but would never drop. I still do not know exactly what the problem was. I think I will shoot them an email and ask. Good luck! :)

3. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Your gunsmith may be optimistic. In my experience, Kel-Tec generally needs at least six weeks to repair a pistol. Seven or eight is more common.

Some of the people on this forum, who will remain nameless, use the delay as an excuse to purchase another P-3AT. They are a bit like potato chips.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. slf

slf New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Everything on my early 2nd gen. P3AT has been replaced except the plastic frame. I like the new phosphate finish on the slide. Never had a 2 week turn around either, but the wait is not bad and Kel Tec is very good about fixing problems