My P3-AT range report.  Some good news.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by speedsix, Apr 10, 2008.

1. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Well, I bought a P3-AT even though I have not had good luck with KT in the past. I had a P-32 that was a POS jam-o-matic.

Anyway, I took the .380 out to the range with 6 types of ammo. It would only shoot one type out of the 6. I consider that good for a Kel-Tec. My p-32 wouldn't shoot anything well.

So it turns out that my P3at like S&W FMJ round nose only. I tried another FMJ round nose and it wouldn't extract (Aguila). I also tried Winchester truncated FMJs, two types of Wolf and a JHP.

So I feel this is about as good as it gets. I found one load it likes and that is what I am going to carry. It does seem to be reliable with that S&B but I still have a hard time trusting a gun that chokes on everything but one load.

Anyway, it has been broken in 500rds. It has had the F&B done to it (twice) and it has had new parts installed. New ejector, ejector spring, mag springs and recoil springs. It is a second gen HC slide and I keep it super clean and well lubed. I don't limp wrist and I do everything in my power to make this thing work.

So my findings are, I have little confidence in this gun but it does seem to work with one load. I will carry it with the load it likes until I can get a Ruger LCP. I will probably wait a year to let Ruger work out the bugs with it's little gun as well.

It is not all bad news, at least I have a gun and load that seems to work and I can get some use out of it. It is going much better than the P-32 fiasco which went back to KT three times and still didn't work. Sold that one at a $200 loss! Bamm! How do you like that?

2. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Speedsix,
    Welcome to the KTOG forum...hope you find it as helpful as I did.

I am glad you found some ammo your gun likes. Since you give the faintest impression that you don't like Kel-Tec products (although it is extremely difficult to detect ::)), and since you don't seem to like the gun itself ...I'll give you $100 for your jam-o-matic...when you get your LCP, of course. :)

GoVols

3. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Re: My P3-AT range report.  Some good news.

It is love/hate with KT. I love the size and shape but I hate it when a gun doesn't work. It bothers me deeply. I also hate carrying a gun that I don't trust 100%.

I am pretty sure my P3at will fuction when I need it with the ammo it likes. I just have doubts due to amount of jams it has had with other ammo. I wish it had fed everything I gave it and asked for more. Then I would feel like I got the monkey off my back.

I am playing the waiting game with the Ruger LCP because I don't like being a beta tester. I bet the LCP will have some growing pains as well.

The thing is, since I dumpped my P-32, there are times when I don't carry because my snub nose or G-26 is a little too big. When I had the P-32, I could carry it anywhere.

I am starting to get back in the habit of carrying my P3at everywhere as well. For this reason, I love it. I just wish it was built better and much more reliable. I do carry it and I am happy that I found a load it likes. I am just being honest, it is not all perfect in the KT world by a long shot. I will be happy if this one type of ammo works and keeps working. That is all I need.

As far as JHP vs. FMJ, I always felt it was a toss up anyway so it doesn't bother me that I have not yet found a JHP that works. If I keep trying, I am sure I can find one. I don't care enough about hollow points in this gun and caliber to bother with it.

I think a FMJ will do about the same job as a JHP out of this short bbl. I doubt either will go through a torso so why not go with a little more penettration? At least it might hit a vital organ or break some bone.

4. Re: My P3-AT range report.  Some good news.

If it was me, I would not like it a bit, nor would I carry a gun that I do not trust 100%.

BTW... I have 3 Kel-Tec P3AT's that I do trust 100%. The first one I got I had a some trouble with. I did not use that gun, or any gun for that matter, for carry until I could get at least 300 rounds (in a row) with out a glitch.

I also have a few other guns that I love to play with but do not trust 100%. Those guns are called range guns or toys.

Why would any one carry a gun they do not trust?

5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Cause it's the only one they have?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Feeling kinda SA today. ;) ;D

6. jerry-s.

jerry-s. Guest

i have about 300 rounds through my p3at upper...(i switched lowers with somebody to get the color combo i wanted....) about 100 rounds with its current configuration.....

this gun has had nothing done to it out of the box except some lube with EESOX before each outing.....

American Eagle FMJ, CCI al. case FMJ, and Win. white box FMJ have all gone though it without one hickup of any kind....

i must have got a good one....

7. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Speedsix, two things:

1. Read this thread and the links in it: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206771556
    2. Buy a finger extension, it makes a HUGE difference.

Took me quite a while to figure out the firm wrist thing, (I am slow :-/). I kept blaming the gun. Funny thing is, I now shoot every other gun I pick up better then ever after figuring this out. :)

8. Makarov_9x18

Makarov_9x18 New Member

Dec 12, 2007

Ya, me too. 300 rounds even and counting. No FTF, FTE or other intermittant reported problems with the P3AT. I feel good about my weapon and carry it everyday. I too must have a good one!
    I would rather be lucky than good.

jb

9. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008

I read the link above. Like I said, limp wristing is NOT the problem. The gun shoot one type of ammo well so limp wristing can be safely ruled out.

I do have a finger extension on one mag. I kept careful track while shooting and niether mag was better or worse than the other.

There seems to be a problem with the extractor with some ammo types. I checked this with different cases placed in the extractor. Some held the case firm while other sort of cocked the cases at an angle almost kicking them out.

I wonder if a custom made extractor for the specific load you wanted to use might not be a bad idea. I am thinking about trying that on one of my extractors since I have a spare. It looks like just taking off a bit of steel near the edge is all it would take to let it grab most cases better.

Anyway, I expected problems since it is a Kel-Tec. I keep hearing of people who buy a new one and shoot 2000rds without a single malfunction but to be honest, I don't buy it. I thought I got a lemon with the P-32 but it looks like they all need some tweaking to make them work.

10. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Let's see...

Two P-11s, Two P3-ATs, and Two PF-9s. No modifications/buffing beyond standard cleaning.

Grand total of rounds fired between all 6 weapons... 5K. Mostly the P-11s, but each PF-9 is over 500 rounds, as are both P3ATs.

Guess how many GUN RELATED malfunctions they have had?

Zero.

::)

Go troll somewhere else.

11. Re: My P3-AT range report.  Some good news.

Ahhh but YOU did buy it.

And now maybe you should sell it!

Let me be the first to offer you a crispy $100 bill for what you consider a POS.

12. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Replace the extractor. It's cheap (free) and easy. The point of the extractor that engages the rim of the cartridge should sharp, so sharp that it snags the skin when you drag it across you finger. This was a known problem a while back and can be ammo sensitive. This simple fix may make your P3AT 100% at no cost :cool:.

If not, I'll offer a crispy $101 bill. ;)

Edited to fix messed up quote attribution

13. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008

I've got a spare extractor but I am not sure I want to mess with it. I know it will shoot one type of ammo and that is all I really need. If I replace the extractor, I might have to start at square one.

I notice that nobody will offer more than $100 for a P3-AT, I guess that is a bad sign. I paid about $250 for mine that is a lot of value loss. Good guns tend to keep their value better I have noticed. When you pay $250 for a gun and the most anyone will pay is $100, that sort of speaks to resale value being poor. Poor resale value often translates to product that wasn't that great to begin with.

14. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana

Or you just aren't in on the joke. Kel-Tecs DO have a good resale value.

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Speedsix,

You shouldn't have to start from square one if you find it necessary to go back to the current extractor. Try your spare, in my opinion, you've got nothing to loose.

Take care...

16. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Or you just aren't in on the joke. Kel-Tecs DO have a good resale value.[/quote]

We just like to scarf them up at bargain basement prices from folks that hate them.  You never know, sometimes you get lucky.   ;)

$102 ;D

17. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Speedsix,

We'll hold your hand and help as best we can. Sometimes they have to go back to KT, but I don't think you're at that point yet. To get a good price for your gun, it should be offered in good operating condition. Otherwise, you get the standing $100 offer that very few people accept. Replace the extractor, make sure it's sharp. If you don't fix it, you can't get top dollar. ;)

18. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

You mean someone has actually accepted that offer? On THIS board I mean. ;)

19. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't know, did you ever get lucky? I didn't. :D

20. speedsix

speedsix New Member

Apr 1, 2008

Whats with all the tude? I own a P3-AT, I carry it. It does work with at least one type of ammo. I'm sure I buy several more types, it will work with at least one other type. I don't really care, I am happy that it works with one type.

I am not a fan of Kel-Tecs based past experience. That doesn't change the fact that it is the easiest to carry you can buy. I would prefer to G-26 on me at all times but the fact is, I don't carry my G-26 sometimes due to size and weight. I will and have been carrying my Kel-Tec around everywhere. It is not a big deal to clip to my pants and walk out the door. I have one of those clips that mount with 3M super sticky tape. I don't have the factory clip yet. I thought the clip I have might be a little better since it mounts to the slide and might help reduce slide velocity a bit.

Anyway, I haven't asked anyone to hold my hand with anything. I know what I am doing and I know guns. I am one of you guys even though I have not drunk the Kool-Aid yet. I own and carry a KT but I am not 100% happy with it. Is that so wrong? Does that make me a troll because I am not singing the praises of a pistol? I am not that way, everything I own is less than perfect. I like my house, my truck my sports car and my motorcycle but I am not about to say they are the best and need no improvement. They are just machines and as such are less than perfect. When someone says their car is perfect, it shows they don't have enough imagination to see what can be improved.

The P3-AT is far from perfect and anyone who is honest will agree. It is however the best when it comes to packing a super small and light pistol that still packs a decent punch. I can buy any gun I want but KT is the only thing in this size and weight and caliber. The Ruger is close but I will wait a year or so before I jump into buying one to let them get the bugs worked out. I will wait for a second gen Ruger LCP and buy it. I'm sure it is going to have some bugs. Besides, dealers are charging more than MSRP for them around me and I hate that. I have a pistol that will last me a year or two I hope and if it doesn't KT will have to fix it.