My P-3AT 11 months later.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi Guys, I am back !
    For Christmas last year my wife gave me a P-3AT, for the times the G-26 was not convenient.
    The first thing I did was a thorough "fluff and buff", and working molykote on the friction parts.
    I also racked the slide 20 times every day for over 2 weeks; yeah, it is boring !
    Found some ammo, Fiocchi FMJ, shot 100 rds with no problem !
    At this point I have over 550 rds through the little pistol, including 50 of GD and 50 CorBon.

NOT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION ;D
    The gun is also much more accurate than I expected.

I am very pleased, and carry the P-3AT often; I have come to trust it, and it is truly a gun you can forget you are carrying ! Well I said the same thing of my Glock some 20 years ago ;) ... getting old sucks, the alternative is worse ;D

The only "improvement" I made was a couple of "nitesighters" dots, one on the front sight, one on the bottom of the rear sight notch, so my sight picture is like a figure "8".
    However they are useless at night, because the gun does not see enough sunlight to "charge" them, the "bulldog" pouch (can't call it a holster) which is now my main carry method does not let a lot of light through !

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the testimonial JFL its nice to hear how well these little P3AT's can do.:)   JFL try shining a High intensity flashlight on them with your master eye closed for few seconds (helps restore your night vision faster).  My Surefire G2 with a 120 Lumen LED light will set the luminous paint off for some time on night sights and my Seiko watch face.  I hope the info helps:

Best Wishes: ;)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hey, maybe you ought to change your "Glock Perfection" signature to "Kel-Tec Perfection".  :) Also carry a G26, more so now that I'm retired, but still carry the P3AT even more than my Glock.

4. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    I have put a total 100 round through my new P3AT and also no failures. I also have a Glock 27, that just doesn't see much carry time. The KT is just to easy and comfortable. I carry a holster all day at work with a Glock 22, so a pocket pistol is just a relief.

5. coulter6

coulter6 New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    It's great to hear that it is a great performer.

6. downsouthhustlin

downsouthhustlin New Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I think the Quality control on the internals must have gotten way better over the last few years on P3AT's because I recently bought one, and have never had a FTF or stovepipe or any problem in the first 250 rounds. I've shot a mix of Tulammo and Federal JHP which I carry in it. Maybe there never were major problems with the P3AT and I'm just thinking the P-11. Also, I did the White trigger stop, Crimson Trace, +1 mag extender, belt clip, and am going to get the slide Nickeled by Mr. Fuselier. That's the only problem really is that the blued finish only stood up to 2 months of Mississippi humidity. But that's not a bad trade-off for what all you DO get in terms of functionality from this $200 gun.

I guess the point is, the gun probably doesn't need fluffing and buffing, and I'm not going to mess with it too much, maybe just sand the plastic parts where needed. Anyone ever had a melt job on a KT?

7. 1srelluc

1srelluc New Member

Here is my P3AT I bought new sometime in 2004 in it's old UM holster that I altered for a extra mag. I'm kinda surprised the holster has held up the way it has over 6 years of daily carry.

After I did the Fluff and Buff on it way back then it has performed 100%. I never leave the house without it in my front pocket. I always run two mags through it every time I go shooting. To this day I am always impressed with it's 7 yard accuracy. I run Winchester Silver Tips in it.

Even with the plain blued slide and lots of carry in less than ideal conditions it has never shown any rust. Worth every penny I paid and then some. I seem to remember giving less than $120 for it back then.

[​IMG]

8. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Did my own, not on the plastic though

[​IMG]

I've always thought KT's malfunctions were more user/lubrication errors than mgr error. Maybe I'm wrong