My new toy

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chaos321, Apr 13, 2009.

1. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    I got a P3AT after shooting a friends. I did the F&B while waiting for the weather to break. It shoots fine but I'm going to have to try some different grips as it was trying to "walk" out of my hand. I've got the finger extension coming and hoping that it will help me get a better grip on it. Does anybody else laugh when this thing ejects the casing straight up and off the roof and back down onto your head? ;D

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Welcome, they are a lot of fun. I usually find my empties about 15 feet behind and to the right. The P3 is kinda hard on spent cases. I don't use any add on grips or extensions, just hold on tight.

3. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    My first shot with my P11 the spent case hit me in the forehead. Subsequent shots did the same or landed on top of my head or on my shoulder. After the first mag I just had to admire the irony of my SD weapon 'assaulting' me, and I laughed for several minutes. I just couldn't explain to my 17 year old son why that was funny - but it was.

Haven't shot my P3AT yet, so I don't know how it ejects. But forewarned is fore armed!

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Actually I  :'( a little because my brother does reloads for me and I never recover all my P3AT brass from my practice sessions. My brass "generally" flys to the back and right. By genearally I mean maybe 2 or three rounds out of six the other 3-4 rounds can land anywhere around the clock and yes even on the top of my head  :eek:.

Take care...

5. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    I had a casing eject up and break a florescent bulb above my head in an indoor range.

While the finger extension will help with control, you should also try a Brooks Tactical A-Grip. You would be surprised how much more control you have.

6. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm having fun with it. I'll try different grips with it. I'm going to try some F4 tape(for you military guys) to see if that works for me. I know when I pick up my brass they are dented from hitting the roof hard?

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have to agree, that P3AT surprised the hell out of me with how far it can throw brass !! Fun....isn't it!!

8. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know how far yet. The roof at my range is maybe 2 feet above my head. So they go straight up and come back down in a hurry. I just stop pulling the trigger, laugh a little bit and then resume the fun!

9. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    my p3at is a brass thrower. i never get it all back when i shoot it. bad for me and reloading. i am lucky to get/find 80% at the end of the day. come to think all of my kel tec's throw brass all over the place.

10. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm anxious to shoot mine out in the open to see how far It can toss brass!

11. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007

STRONG Springs!? OORA!

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Fun yes, but guns are not toys and we should work harder to avoid that idea/image.

As to grips, I still think nothing beats the pads and sleeves from www.ktaddons.com and I think they are even on sale still. Even if not they are worth every penny.

-Scott

13. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Ah yes, another opportunity to post a few of my favorite P3AT pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the last pic the casing is on it's way back DOWN.

BTW, if they are hitting you in the face (not the top of the head) the gun is pivoting too much in your hand.  Lock your wrist & let the recoil pivot at your elbow.

14. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    My casing must go 30 feet in the air and land 15 feet behind me but damned if I can figure out how I loose 2 out of every 6 casings. Must be where I shoot as there is 100 years worth of casings and shotgun shells in a 200 foot circle and 12 inches deep. LOL.

15. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Negative. They are dented from the ejection process. I shoot in the open desert and all my cases are bent at the lip.