Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new parkerized P3AT. Purchased off gunbroker for $269.00 with free shipping (seemed like a good price) Purchased another magazine for $17.00 and picked up a Nemesis holster off ebay for $19 shipped. The Serial number is J5Vxx. This is my first Keltec. I mainly have glocks, springfields and H&K's. The finish is rather ugly and inconsistent looking but I assume it should be that way. I took it apart and cleaned it and then light lubed it with Teflon Rem oil. The trigger seems decent. I did spend some time with a new razor taking off the plastic hanging for the edges to smooth it out. I can't wait to shoot it.

Any recommendations??

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
JandJ Speed Shop said:
This is my first Keltec.  I mainly have glocks...

I took it apart and cleaned it and then light lubed it with Teflon Rem oil...

Any recommendations??
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME to the board JJ.

Unlike your glocks, this baby wants lube and LOTS of it. Grease on the rails and under the lugs on the barrel. It ought to be just shorting of dripping and cleaned regularly.

-Scott

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
adamsesq said:
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME to the board JJ.  

Unlike your glocks, this baby wants lube and LOTS of it.  Grease on the rails and under the lugs on the barrel.  It ought to be just shorting of dripping and cleaned regularly.  

-Scott
+1. And also unlike your Glock, you MUST completely release the trigger or suffer light strike misfires. Oh, and Welcome to KTOG!

Packer.

G

·
AS stated above..........lots of lube!

No one mentioned the fluff and buff.... is it because of the parkerized finish?

Welcome aboard J&J.....this is a great place to have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this might sound stupid but what is a fluff and buff. I assume you are talking about buffing the feed ramp on the barrel. It is already polished and smooth right from the factory.

Someone mentioned lots of lube dipping from the pistol. That doesn't sound pleasant for a pocket gun with nice pants. I did put tetra gun grease on the grip rails though. I will put some under the barrel lug. The only other thing I lubed was the upper slide where the barrel slides against it. I don't have it dripping and would rather not have to lube it that much just to get decent performance out of it.

Does anyone recommend talking apart the lower to clean and relube it

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Going to the extreme to make a point. You ought to be able to "open" it up or field strip it and find it pretty well coated with oil. That oil doesn't need to be dripping out the outside. Mine does for a few wipes and actions of slides right after I first clean but generally keeps my pockets clean. There is some oil staining inside my leather holsters.

I don't tear apart the lowers to clean but I do spray the heck out of them with gunscrubber (synthetic safe) and then let it air dry. Then with CLP everywhere and grease in the right spots.

-Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any picture guide to lubing up the P3AT? I already have grease in the rails but I have everything else rather dry. I don't like to over lube because oil collects gun powder and dirt. I am used to operating most of my pistol on the dry side with just grease on the rails and trigger connectors and sliding parts, etc.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
JandJ Speed Shop said:
Any picture guide to lubing up the P3AT?  I already have grease in the rails but I have everything else rather dry.  I don't like to over lube because oil collects gun powder and dirt.  I am used to operating most of my pistol on the dry side with just grease on the rails and trigger connectors and sliding parts, etc.
There is a guide out there but I don't remember the link, someone will have it shortly or I'll do some looking too.

Many people, especially glock users, are used to doing as you do and that's why we are warning you or at least giving a heads up. This little guy is different. Yes, it does then collect dirt/lint etc. That is why you clean and relube regularly.

-Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.