My new P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JJay03, Aug 24, 2009.

1. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Just got a new P3AT Thursday and noticed a few things that bother me. On the frame around the assembly pin it looks like someone has tried to get the pin out before and gouged the frame. There is also a lot of rough areas on the frame.
    Here is a few pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I heard we can get a metal mag release but it wont let me view the thread.
    I would also be interested in a stainless slide if thats possible.

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Congrats on the new gun and welcome to KTOG! As far as th rough spots go I would trim the extra flashing away with a knife or something. No big deal there. Yes, you can buy slides from KT. The one that looks like SS is actually hard chrome. I bought one and it was $99 plus shipping. Makes a wolrd of difference though. Rust is not an issue anymore.

3. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Per site rules, you need 25 posts to get access to the trading post area.

Look around, enjoy this site and the good folks here, you'll have the required posts in no time. Lots of good info going around here, I've learned a lot. In the trading post area there's a guy that makes the metal mag releases, I have one and love it, wish he had the stainless when I got mine.

Looks like some one removed the pin by prying on the frame.

Congrats on your new little friend.

4. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah I thought the same thing about the frame things like that bother me though. I definitely want that metal mag release might even get that hard chromed slide before long.

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    That gun doesn't look brand new. I'd take it back for a refund. I'd always worry that the assembly pin would walk out. BTW the bluing looks terrible on the slide. :-/

6. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I agree with Pedro, before you shoot it or anything - TAKE IT BACK - this is apparently a used gun. If it is a reputable dealer, they will replace. If not let your friends know. >:(

7. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    The bluing is ok its just the picture I had some oil on it.

8. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Noticed something else I dont like. Look at the front of the rails.
    [​IMG]

9. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Wow, it's hard to believe that someone tried to pass this gun off as new. By the last photo of the rails, I'd say this unit is clearly used. I would point out all the defects to the seller.
    Good Luck

10. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Im going tomorrow im not sure if I should get another p3at or just a glock 26 I been wanting. The owner should help me out ive bought 3 pistols from him. I seen him cut the label to get the case open so it must have came from keltec this way.

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.
    I'm not too sure you got a warm welcome so far.

As far asyour concerns over the cosmetics around the assembly pin, the photos just don't show me anything to be concerned about. as far as the rails being a little battered on the ends, that will happen with just a good solid full slide rack on a new gun

KTs are know to come from the factory filthy to some of use. I do believe they test fire.

so I don't see you having a used gun.

what is the first three letters/digits of your serial number. that will be a good indication how old it is

12. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Would it be KCU?

13. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Your KCU was probaly made this Month.  pretty darn fresh

15. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    May be fresh, but sure a sign of poor workmanship. :-?

The way the take down and slide are boogered don't give me a warm and fuzzy. :-[
    Particularly it coming from the factory that way.
    I woulld hope they test fired, but that leaves the barrel dirty, it doesn't booger up the gun. JMHO

16. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Sorry guys but I took it back today and got me a g26. He gave me the full refund.

17. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Glad to hear it. I do feel sorry for the next fella in line that buys your returned P3AT. :(

18. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Nice to know you were dealling with a reputable dealer. Be sure to pass the word. ;)

19. JJay03

JJay03 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Oh I tell all my friends about this dealer he is a good guy. I will tell my dad about these forums also since he has the p3at and a pf9.