My New P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Old_Bill, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I bought my P-3AT last week (S/N JS6XX) and I believe I'm going to like it. At first when the first round fired jammed the gun I wasn't really sure. But, after reading most of this forums messages on the P-3AT, and reading the owner's manual  ;D I decided the gun deserved a second chance. I'm glad this forum exists!

Especially after shooting the P3AT at a gun range this morning.

I had already shot 15 Blazer Brass 95 gr FMJ rounds thru the gun before going to the range. ( with two failure to load) At the range, I first shot the rest of that box (35 rounds) with one failure to load with the 5th round and one about the 12th round.

From that point on the gun performed faultlessly! The balance of the remaining 23 rounds of Blazer loaded and fired without any problems.

I then fired 50 rounds of Winchester WinClean 95 gr BEB Target/Range thru the gun. No problems at all except these rounds didn't cut as large a hole in the paper target as did the Blazer FMJ rounds. With my eyes I need all the help I can get!

With the Winchester rounds I was firing both slow fire and rapid fire.

I then shot 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger 95 gr T-Series since this most likely will be my carry rounds. These rounds were noticeable hotter than the other rounds shot, with my tender hand feeling the difference starting with the 5th round shot! I couldn't tell any difference in the accuracy of the different rounds fired.

I wish that I could state that all my shots were closely grouped, but, the truth is somewhat different!

Unless I wear my "shooting" glasses, I am unable to clearly see and line up the rear and front sights on any handgun. Many years ago when I used to have to qualify each year for the Sheriff's Office, I would wear the shooting glasses!

Since it's highly unlikely that I would be wearing the shooting glasses should I ever need to use the P3AT, I thought it best to forget the special glasses and just sight down the top of the barrel of the gun.

At 15 feet the little gun is deadly...even with an old guy like me shooting it! Only one or two early rounds wasn't in the kill zone.

I believe this gun is a keeper!!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

sounds like you got the key information you needed

CLEAN - LUBE - SHOOT - REPEAT

3. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Yes, thank you!

I'm still amazed at all the good information that is available on this forum!

I really appreciate all the hard work (sometime, I'm sure, thankless hard work) you guys have put into this forum.

Old Bill

4. Welcome to KTOG Bill.

CLEAN - LUBE - SHOOT until you get 200 or so rounds down range for break in.

Then it is carry alot- shoot a little.

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard Bill! Thank you for a very good range report. Glad you didn't quit on your P3AT.

BTW, I'll be 64 years old this August, does that make me "Young Bill"? :)

Take care...

6. Hornett

Hornett New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    I agree the wights aren't target quality, but personally, I have other guns for that. :)

Congrats on sticking with your new P3at.
    They are great little pistols.

7. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Ah yes! The good old days when I was a young 64! I could run, jump, swim, drink a few beers, and even consider making love! (it all depended on how many beers I'd had!!:cool:)

So, for now, Bill K, I guess you will have to be "Young Bill"...and I just hope you enjoy the coming years half as much as I enjoyed the years from 64 to my 77th birthday in May of this year.

Life is good...enjoy it!

Old Bill

8. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome...your positive attutide makes me jealous and i'm 27 years your junior....you'll really love this little gun....

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I sometimes think I'm the youngest on the board. I know a couple here have me beat, but most of y'all are my seniors.

Regardless, welcome aboard! Shoot, clean, lube, and repeat!!

You'll have a great time here!

10. JJS

JJS New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Welcome to the forum, glad you worked the bugs out.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Old Bill,

So what's this "making love" stuff?   ::)

Young Bill  :)

12. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Old Bill,

So what's this "making love" stuff?   ::)

Young Bill  :)
    [/quote]

It's just something I seem to remember doing...that was more fun than playing with firearms!!  ::) ::)

Old Bill

13. Lynnsky

Lynnsky New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Old_Bill, welcome to the club! Uh, has anyone mentioned the tendency toward addiction? I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but, dang, somebody should probably tell you up front that these little jewels tend to multiply.

Old_Bill and young Bill (BillK) uh? So be it. Man, talkin' about making love. You younger guys won't know what I'm talking about (I sure hope you don't have to know, anyway!), but can you guys spell cortacosteroids? I'm not even sure I spelled it correctly, but, alas, they tend to interfere with such pleasant passtimes. Course, if a guy msses a dose on one day, I hear the next day things can, er, change for the better ;D Dare I say things start to look up? Nah, better not ;)

I am a very old 58 -- genetics have been my downfall. Still, to hear your take on life, Old_Bill, is like a refeshing breeze after a hot, muggy summer day or having a cool sip of champagne instead of a draught of warm, flat beer. Thank you, kind sir, I need to hear statements like you made every single day to keep on keeping on -- to focus on what I have, instead of the tendency to either focus on what I don't have or on that which I am rapidly losing. I hope you and BillK will post often.

Regards,
    Lynnsky

14. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the forum, Old Bill !

If you have any more feeding or extraction problems you might want to have a "fluff and buff" done.

I'm still not a very good shot with my P3-AT, and I'm younger than you are. I'm going to get the +1 magazine extender so my pinky has something to hold onto.

BTW, what does "BEB" mean? Is it match grade ammo?

Enjoy your new gun.

15. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Thank you! I had to go to the Winchester Arms web Site to find out what type of bullet was BEB .

It is a "Brass Enclosed Brass" bullet. Now, just what that means I haven't the foggiest idea!

Actually, I bought the box from Wal-Mart in a big hurry, and....boy, I hate to admit this, I didn't look at the writing on the box, just pulled one of the rounds out of the box and I thought I was buying a new type of hollow-point!  The bullet looks like a HP with the opening filled with a gray filling!! Oh well, they shot without any problems. ::)

http://www.winchester.com/products/...C3801&cart=MzgwIEF1dG9tYXRpYw==&use=2

Old Bill

16. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Welcome to the Forum Old Bill! I carry my P-3AT daily for work in a SmartCarry, you just can't beat it for comfort and concealment. Like Lynnsky said, they can be habit forming! My hand also hurt after shooting for a while, until I got grip pads and a slip on grip from a gentleman on the forum, along with grip extenders for each of my magazines, now it's just as easy to shoot as my P-11 (yea, part of the addiction we were talking about). :cool:

17. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I have been thinking about a P-3AT. But when I held it, it just didn't feel right. I have large hands. Anyone else out there who has large hands and own one, did you over come the feeling and grip problems? If so, what did you do? I would love to own one but not sure and being able to be very accurage with something I have a hard time gripping.

Thanks

Bo Bryant

18. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    These are surely not target pistols but you'd be surprised at how accurate they can be, especially from several yards where SD pistols are designed to be used.  I have rather large hands and manage just fine.  I think that a mag extension helps a lot and I prefer the +1 variety from KT.

19. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks txCajun. I appreciate the time and info. I would like something smaller than the P11 for ccw. I will check at Sportsman Lodge. They usually carry a good selection of Kel-Tecs. Maybe my wife will spring for one for my 63rd birthday!

Bo Bryant

20. powwowell

powwowell New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I'm always looking for places that carry Kel-Tecs. Where is Sportsman Lodge?

Larry