Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my first AR-15 5.56 I made two mistakes first one was I didn't do my research. and I took the advice of the guy behind the counter at a local big box sporting goods store. So I picked up one on sale A Carbon15 by bushmaster. First thing to clear up is the only carbon 15 is the carbon black used to color the polymer used in the upper and lower. While cleaning it it fell while open and hit the floor, which promptly broke the front hinge pin off. After ordering a billet aluminum upper from them, and swapping all the items. I continued to shot about 1,500 additional rounds thru it. The stock/buffer tube assembly would loosen up, I would tighten it and after a short time it would loosen again. Well after a number of times the threads started to wear/enlarge so it wouldn't tighten up. So I got tired of dealing with it.

While at the range shooting it one day I decided to pick up a new and better one. In talking with the owner and employee about a new one. They have a wide selection, I picked the M&P15 5.56 since I only punch paper at an indoor range. this one would be a great choice. I took it home and moved everything form the old one to the new one.

ATI TactLite six position mil-spec stock w/ adjustable comb system, ATI Scorpion X2 razorback recoil pad upgrade kit,ATI AR-15 X2 scorpion pistol grip,ATI forend pistol grip. A generic free floating 4 rail forend, A Buc three brass catching bag. A Fireflied 2.5-10x40 scope green/red illuminated mil-dot reticle even with it turned off you have a great sight looking at target. A side mounted 5mw red laser Also thinking about an UTG flashlight w remote. So far with about 400 rounds thru it I am very satisfied with the rig, and all the transferred furniture from the old AR-15 I will also say the perceived and felt recoil is down a lot with the butt stock upgrade kit 1/8" to 3/4" thick and pistol grip on it. With these older bones and muscles. I can now shoot twice as long as I could before.
I haven't decided if I will be putting the angled folding battle site or not on it yet. I will be adding the Isothane rubber sheet to the cheek pqad as soon as I find the remain sheet I have

·
Registered
861 Posts
The worm has turned for you. Smith ARs are great guns. You generally ,not always, get what you pay for. Some folks think just get the cheapest ar they are all alike...........wrong. Skilled labor, good materials and consistent quality control is not free. You can spend a lot more money on a AR than Smith's but dollar for dollar the Smiths are hard to beat.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Agreed. G2G solid rifle that will serve you well. If you have to buy something right off the rack Smith is on the list of win rifles. Ultimately learn how to build up your own from scratch. It isn't that difficult and you know exactly what went into it. When I figured this out I'll never consider something off the rack unless its just too damn good of a deal to ignore.

I've never been a fan of Bushmaster anything. Throw the new milspec furniture back on to it and sell it for something. That will help fund ammo for the new one or some more accessories etc.......

YMMV.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Offset irons are highly personal-preference driven.

The fact that they're offset at an angle means that you'll have to do a bit of extra work zeroing.

That will then translate to your need to mind the offset, when shooting with precision at typical distances at which the offset BUIS would be used.

Shoulder-to-shoulders can also be a bit tricky.

To insure that the receiver extension/buffer-tube won't loosen on your again, torque the nut to-spec, and then make sure it's well-staked.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I only have one AR, but my choice was the Smith & Wesson. I have never regretted or questioned that choice, nor wished for a different AR. But I'm not an AR collector, just an "any, every and all gun collector" who happens to have an AR in that collection.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a little bit of variety across the board. I like the modern plastic fantastic tactical stuff just as much as old school wood and steel and my meager collection reflects that. Having at least one AR in your arsenal should be a national law but that will never happen.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Having at least one AR in your arsenal should be a national law but that will never happen.
Obama has come very close to getting an AR into every home, without requiring a new law. Even my grandmother has an AR now. Despite his best efforts otherwise, he remains the best gun salesman America has ever seen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Obama has come very close to getting an AR into every home, without requiring a new law. Even my grandmother has an AR now. Despite his best efforts otherwise, he remains the best gun salesman America has ever seen.
Yep every time he opens his mouth about a gun related issue, the LGS sells out of the sporting rifles. even with just his presence in Wash. the LGS has seen an up surge in the number of them they sell in a week.
As the amount of people young and old men and women are signing up for CPL classes since the change to shall issue in Michigan, along with the reduction down to two pages for the application and the removal of the gun boards and hunting up character witnesses to sign said form. With this litigation society people don't want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.