My new KSG

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by CPKSG, Feb 10, 2018.

1. CPKSG

CPKSG Member

Feb 7, 2018
    IMG_1518288884.815798.jpg IMG_1518288896.664126.jpg IMG_1518288914.599487.jpg IMG_1518288949.807176.jpg IMG_1518288961.009901.jpg IMG_1518288972.325288.jpg
    MFT light, just enough to ID bad guy prior to body part removal. Had it on bottom, might return it there. Home defense role, inside house very close range. Sig Romeo 5, great sight! Instant on. Both eyes open red dot floats in the air on target. I removed Troy and Magpul flip ups because I realized if Romeo takes a dirt nap I’ll simply point and click, or look through Romeo’s corpse as a giant ghost ring. Kydex from Kel Tec and CDS Tactical neoprene protect my handsome face. Big improvement when shooting in 20 degree weather! Kel Tec sling works great. This is for HD and a range toy. I own MANY shotguns, including both Mossy SW and Rem Tac 14. I love them all but this thing is amazing. My home made grip plug made from thin plastic is an experiment. So far I can’t shake it loose and rounds down range will hopefully confirm. It will only hold a zip lock filled with watch batteries and an Allen key for Romeo so no real weight to knock it loose. I bought a PAST recoil pad for range use which makes a huge difference and I won’t feel recoil if I need to use it in defense of my family. Clint Smith wears a recoil pad and that’s good enough for me. I can’t see adding stuff hanging off the sides since this is made to be so compact. If I need more rounds than the 15 rounds it holds in my home then I’m in trouble anyway. Great forum BTW!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    GearBolt and 850sub like this.
  2. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    How thick is the plastic grip plug, and what holds it in place, just friction?
    Is it hard plastic or soft and bendable?

The open grip that can allow entry to debris is a concern but spending the amount of money most sell for is a turn off.
    I may experiment with some 1/4 inch thick black rubber pads I have.
    These are sold by Tandy and other leather supply houses for use as cutting boards. They come in 12"X 12" and 12"X 24".
    Rather expensive these days but I bought a few years ago.

Nice to see a KSG that's not loaded down with accessories.

3. CPKSG

CPKSG Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Thanks Dfariswheel. I’ve appreciated your smithing and other knowledge over the years in everything from BPCR to SAA’s to KSGs. It’s plastic from a 3 ring binder insert(never understood what they are for) and it’s maybe 1/16” thick. Friction fit only. If anything falls out it will be in my house or at my shooting bench so no issue. For a range toy and home defense I’m not worried about debris. If my house gets dirty enough for debris to be an issue I’m more worried about my wife’s wrath than any Home intruder.

4. CPKSG

CPKSG Member

Feb 7, 2018
    BTW, in the 2 weeks I’ve had this beast I’ve got about 150 rounds downrange, mostly bird but some buck and slugs. I’m frankly too darned cheap to blast too many of my buck and slugs even though I know the importance for familiarity. I will shoot more of them once the temps get out of the 20’s. I’ve shot enough buck to know how she patterns at everything out to 25 yards. In my home 7 yards is a long shot. The gun has been flawless with everything from high brass buck to steel head birdshot. The few short shucks were my fault.

5. SixPackABS

SixPackABS Active Member

Jan 22, 2018
    How do you like the Romeo5?

6. CPKSG

CPKSG Member

Feb 7, 2018
    I really like it so far. I paid $130 or $140 from Brownells. Love the auto on feature and long battery life. Both eyes open quick shooting on steel plates and water jugs. Good warranty too.

7. SixPackABS

SixPackABS Active Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Do you find it too low on th KSG?

8. CPKSG

CPKSG Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Not at all. Even after adding the kydex AND the 1/8” thick neoprene I quickly center the red dot in the middle of the window.

9. circlehawk

circlehawk Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    Some battles you don't dare fight. :eek:

850sub, BlakeHanson and CPKSG like this.
  10. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Last night I used some Kydex sheet to make an experimental grip cover.
    It turned out well.
    Then I had a thought and looked at the KSG schematic and realized the grip area is sealed up inside and there is no entry to debris into the trigger assembly.

I don't use pistol grips as storage, and I was only concerned about trash getting into the trigger and causing problems.
    Once I saw the schematic, I pitched the cover as unnecessary.

If you do want to store things in the grip the thin cover does work as long as you get a good tight fit with it.

For just general practice with the KSG I found that Walmart sells Winchester AA low brass (steel) Low recoil, Low noise birdshot loads cheap.
    These are basically "popper" loads.

Since I polished my chamber to get the rough parkerized coating off as soon as I got the gun, I've never had any extraction problems with low brass shells.
    These Winchester AA loads are fun to shoot and even recoil sensitive people have no problems.
    The low noise also helps.

850sub and BlakeHanson like this.