My luck ran out. My first FTF!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOUSER52, Aug 10, 2010.

1. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Up until this past Saturday my P3AT had been 100%, I could not induce a malfunction of any kind.

During the last few weeks I had fired 100+ rounds of WWB through it and everything was running fine, 0 problems. After about 50 rounds of RWS ammo on Saturday I had my first failure to feed. The round had hung between the magazine and the chamber with the slide not going into battery. I done the tap. rack, bang drill and it functioned fine for the rest of the session. Figuring that the gun was just dirty I field stripped it, cleaned it, lubed it, tightened the extractor screw( loose less than 1/8 turn), and inspected everything. I couldn't find anything broken or out of alignment.

Shot it again yesterday and had the same FTF after only 10 rounds. I had been shooting with a firm two handed grip so limp wristing wasn't the issue. Matter of fact I tried one handed limp wristing and couldn't duplicate the FTF problem again. Brass was being thrown 20-30 feet away.

Last night I tore it down and carefully polished the feed ramp, chamber and extractor with the Dremel using a felt bullet point with Flitz. I also used a hard Ark. stone to polish any sharp edges or burrs that I could find.

After lube and reassembly I cycled it numerous times both with and without ammunition. All the cartridges fed and extracted fine but I'll have to shoot it to be sure it functions like it's supposed to. I have about 50 RWS left and will finish them off today.

Two FTF out of 200 rounds don't sound too bad but it still has to prove 100% before I'll carry it full time.

It's possible that the gun just doesn't like RWS ammo.

2. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Some dogs don't eat everything even if it's in a clean dish.
    After all you've done, I'd suspect the ammo too.

3. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it is the RWS. If I still haven't got any 380 reloading dies in a few weeks I'll try another brand of ammo.

I thought my post might have generated some opinions or feedback on the RWS. I guess it's not that popular.

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    All I know about RWS is that perhaps it is steel cased, per reports by others that it is "magnetic". Try that yourself with a small magnet. Foreign steel cased ammo can cause problems in American pistols, like cause wear on the extractor, mag lips, feed ramp, etc.
    Another thing you can do is get a good caliper or micrometer and compare the RWS cartridge, especially the rim, with SAAMI standards. Use this link for std. dimensions....
    http://ammoguide.com/

good luck

og

5. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks for the link. Just printed it and will check the diminsions in a little bit.

The cases are brass and look like any other brass case. They are not magnetic either. I guess that rules out steel case problems.

I shot about 30 more this evening and still had a FTF. I only have a few left and I doubt if I'll order anymore if another brand proves to be reliable.

I've got to get some dies. $18 or more for a box of ammo is killing me. :'( I'm used to shooting handloads.

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

You didn't say what the total round count is, but you may need to replace the recoil springs. Mine lost their "poop" and had to be replaced which reestablished reliability. I assume you are using a light grease on the rails.

7. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    The total round count is right at 250.
    I have already considered replacing the recoil springs anyway but as a way to keep the empty brass from being ejected 30 feet away. The recoil spring shouldn't be worn out with only 250 rounds but a new spring might be worth a try.

I use Wilson Combat grease and FP-10 oil.

8. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Tossing the brass 30' in random directions is normal.

9. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    The total round count is right at 250.
    I have already considered replacing the recoil springs anyway but as a way to keep the empty brass from being ejected 30 feet away. The recoil spring shouldn't be worn out with only 250 rounds but a new spring might be worth a try.

I use Wilson Combat grease and FP-10 oil.

[/quote]

Hi,

I'd suspect the RWS ammo too if that's the only ammo that's giving you FTF's. I'd also so with the heavier recoil spring, it'll cut felt recoil with hot ammo, and reduce the distance your cases are traveling. The 380 Auto cartridge in the P3AT has plenty of power to spare and the extra energy stored in the spring willhep rid you of those pesky FTF's.

Best Regards: :)

10. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Hi,

I'd suspect the RWS ammo too if that's the only ammo that's giving you FTF's.  I'd also so with the heavier recoil spring, it'll cut felt recoil with hot ammo, and reduce the distance your cases are traveling.  The 380 Auto cartridge in the P3AT has plenty of power to spare and the extra energy stored in the spring willhep rid you of those pesky FTF's.

Best Regards: :)
    [/quote]

Update-
    I ordered the Wolff calibration pack for the P3AT today. When they get here I'll do some experimenting with the different weights.

11. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I have several thousand rounds through my P3AT. It has never failed---not even once. I also only use factory springs in it. If you are only using one brand ammo, try another brand or get yourself some dies. My PF-9 will not function with WWB so I don't buy it. I've also never used it in my P3AT since it doesn't work in my PF-9. I've never used RWS ammo myself. I refuse to pay that much for range fodder.

Good luck.

12. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    When I ordered the RWS they were the cheapest I could find at the time. I think they were about $16 a box from Midway. Even Wally World's WWB value pack is $35.95 if you can find them in stock. One thing good is I have a couple hundred pieces of empty brass as a result of store bought ammo.

I ordered dies last week and some Berry's 100 gr. RNHB. I hope they're at home waiting for me when I get home from vacation.
    All the components are all on the bench just waiting for me to get started.

You're right, factory ammo prices are outrageous.