My LittleKatie

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by LittleKatie, Nov 29, 2008.

1. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    HI everyone,
    I recently purchased a p3at at a gun show here in Mississippi. I have taken her to the range and have fired about 100 rounds through her without a glitch! The only problem I have found is that at first, my thumb was accidentally hitting the magazine release. This was easily fixed by correction of grip. Once I knew how to hold her right,,,she purrred like a kitten. I was amazed as to how accurate this little gal was. I was slightly disapointed with the sights, but then again, it is a point and shoot type weapon.
    I am somewhat a John Wayne fan, and anyone else who is, will know the movie Big Jake. Well, in that movie, Big Jake and his estranged wife, Martha, meet up in a train station to discuss the matter of their kidnapped grandson and discuss a plan to take the ransom to the kidnappers. She has some of his weapons with her for him to set out on this mission. In this cache of weapons, he picks up a derringer and lovingly states that she even brought Betsy and he proudly puts her in his pocket. In honor of that movie I have named my little pocket gun Katie. (k and t from kel tec)
    I have taken some sand paper and brushed up the front sight and placed some red sight paint there and this seems to help with the sight problem for me. At least I can find the front of the slide when I am attempting to aim her a little quicker and easier. But if you just point and shoot, she does her job well.
    This little pistol has now become my CCW of choice. I am going to the range sometime tomorrow and will shoot another hundred rounds with her and let y'all know!!

"And now *you* understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off. " Jacob McCandles

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG LK! That's a really good range report for your first time out. I've got grip pads, grip sleeve and pinky mag. extension on both my P3ATs. Had no problems shooting the guns bare but these add-ons make the gun feel more comfortable and maybe just a little more controlable.

Take care...

3. edpm3

edpm3 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Congratulations on your new pistol and welcome, pilgrim. Katey, cute name. (Did I just use the word "cute" in a gun forum? Damn.)

4. edpm3

edpm3 New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    And I even managed to misspell the name. Damn.

5. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    "Did you hear that? They got the boy!"
    "The hell they did! That's my derringer!"

6. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    "Fill your hands you son of a b!tch!!!"

Wrong movie, I know.. but man I love that bit.

John Wayne rules!

Oh, and welcome aboard! Clean, lube, shoot, repeat!!!

7. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Hello LittleKatie.
    Welcome to KTOG, and congrats on your new P3. Stick aroud and you'll make a world of new friends. As a new friend I must warn you..BEWARE. These little gems are addicting. I caught the KT "Fever", and bought a PF-9 1 month after my P3 purchase. I have no regrets. Love em both. And as with GI joes as a kid, I dressed em up for action. Armalasers, grip pads, and Hogue Jr grips adorn both guns, and they are a joy to shoot. Have fun, and rest assured, if you catch the "Fever", we're here to help you through it.

Again, welcome...Enjoy your new little friend.
    tr

8. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    I looked at lots of "Betsy"s yesterday at the local gunshow. Most of them them are big. Sure glad I have my "Katie"

Bert

9. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Update:
    Well my new friends, I am back from the range with my new p3at gorgeous Katie. I shot about another 100 rounds with her today and again, not a hitch!! I keep reading in this wonderful forum about misfeeds and FTE's. I have not had any problems with any of these issues. As stated earlier, I did try my best to modify the sights. The sight paint that I had applied did not make it. After a few clips I saw it had started to chip off. Then after my cleaning this little lady, the paint was gone. Any ideas on how I can correct this? Also, I noticed while cleaning that there were some areas on the slide where some silver was shining at me. I hope this is normal and just part of the normal break in period.
    I have been shooting various types of ammo with her,,,winchester flat nose 95's, remmington round nose fmj 95's, and also remmington hollow points. All have shot fine with no problems.
    I see there are some fellow John Wayne fans here.....You cant go wrong with that!!!!

10. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i had the same issue with sight paint.  i decided to try a pack of nitesiters (http://www.nitesiters.com) for $10 and i'm very pleased with the results.   the installation was much easier than painting and the dot looks very professional.  the glue doesn't cure immediately so it's easy to use a toothpick to place the dot exactly where you want it.   if you have trouble with the adhesive on the nitesiter, you can use a very small amount of superglue for an extra strength bond.  so far i haven't needed the superglue.

i should point out that i'm using the nitesiter as a visual enhancement to the front sight in lighted conditions and not as an actual night sight.  i did charge it once with a lamp for a minute and tried it in the dark and it works as advertised for that purpose.  imo it's no replacement for tritium as a true night sight.

welcome and good luck!

kb

11. jp8900

jp8900 New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Any pictures of the nitesighters installed?

12. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    my digital camera is broken so i only have a camera phone at the moment.  i tried several times and this is the best shot i got.  yes, it's blurry but perhaps you can get an idea of how it looks.  i get a much better sight picture with the little nitesiter dot.

[​IMG]