Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here on the board that the P3's usually will go about 40-60 rounds without a cleaning before they start to FTF and FTF. I set out this morning to see how mean and evil I can be to this little gun without them breaking or blowing apart. Since this is smaller than the rest of my guns, I decided I was only gonna torture it with 200 rounds of Independence FMJ's, And 50 rounds of my carry ammo which is Remington Golden Saber. Before I left for the range this morning I soaked the entire gun in engine degreaser to make sure the gun had no lube of any kind left. I got to the range and fired a box of Golden Saber and then 4 50 Round boxes of the Independence and then fired the last box of Golden Saber's. I did NOT have 1 FTF, and I did NOT have 1 FTE. I can honestly say now I feel safe trusting my life on this little gun. I did this same test on my XD45 when I got it but I did it with 750 rounds, And I did it with my P22 with 1,000 rounds when I got it.
I also went thru 100 rounds of .303 today as well as 500 rounds of .45acp

Dustin (Who's guns are really really really dirty right now 8) )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man I wish I could afford that much ammo :( :( :(. Anyway thats good to know, but I will still clean after every 50 or so.

Tim,( who really wishes he had enough bullets to torture his gun because he likes to clean it ;D )

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't shoot that often, I am lucky to make it to the range once a month, But when I go I make up for it. I also work part time at a gun shop so I usually get my ammo for a little cheaper than most

Dustin (Who feels like he is holding a sign saying Will work for ammo)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Does your test show the gun prefers NO LUBE and all that special grease and oil routine may be the reason for mal functions :-/

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
You definately got a good one.
I would not recommend that routine. :-/

G

·
I think I would always have some type of lube on the slide/frame rails. Just makes good sense to do that. But I do agree one can shoot these little guns at least 200 non-cleaned rounds. They certainly aren't that critical of handguns. but whatever floats ur boat is what one should go with..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JFB said:
Does your test show the gun prefers NO LUBE and all that special grease and oil routine may be the reason for mal functions :-/

Removing all oil and lube is a way to try and make it not work, When you remove all oil and lube it isn't running a max performance. But the gun still performed top notch. To answer your question too much lube and oil is worse than none because it collects burnt and unburnt powder

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Southernshooter said:
To answer your question too much lube and oil is worse than none because it collects burnt and unburnt powder
You been reading too much Glock propaganda son!

Come back and tell us that after your aluminum frame rails are galled and ruined.

For steel on aluminum contact, even dirty lube is much better then no lube at all.

rcmodel

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yeah...I may err on the side of "overlubing" my guns...but I figure, I usually don't shoot 50, at most 100 rounds of them at a time (in a range setting) before cleaning, and in those instances a malfunction is not a big deal (and my guns have never "choked" on dirty oil as far as I can tell). In a self-defence situation extra lube may get dirty in theory, but it is going to take a lot more rounds than just the seven I have loaded in the gun to cause the lube to get dirty enough to cause a malfunction.

At least, that's my logic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rcmodel said:
You been reading too much Glock propaganda son!

Come back and tell us that after your aluminum frame rails are galled and ruined.
I take it you have never seen a round not fire, Because the person liked his firing pin swimming in oil and it drained off on to the primer and the primer wouldn't ingite, Which is a very common ocurance when carrying a over oiled SD gun. Or you have never seen a round not chamber because of the oil cruded in the chamber.
Now as far as the galled frame rails, I do lube and oil my guns. But when I wan't to torture something to see how it will perform under the worst possible conditions, I remove the oil and lube from it.
Yes the torture test I do on my guns is kinda extreme but if it is gonna break I want it to break at the range and not when I need it to defend myself

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Excellent!!

I've put 200 rounds through mine without cleaning before. I didn't just start by pulling it out of my pocket and shooting, though. I quickly went over everything with an oil patch before I started shooting.

But, out of the 200 rounds, only had 2 failures, both of which came while I was trying to shoot off hand with my weak hand. SO, I attribute those only two failures to limp wristing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.