Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up this Jolly Roger lower a month or two ago. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, but eventually decided an AR pistol was in order.

I just got the barrel in yesterday, after waiting for it to come off backorder.

I'm still missing a couple of parts, namely the fore end. I ordered a free float tube directly from DPMS, but that was about a month ago.... :mad: I may end up canceling it and going another route, but time will tell. I'm also waiting on it so it can be dipped....:cool:

On to pics!

Stripped lower:

Its now got a YHM stripped upper, still missing a carrier and bolt, PSA MOE LPK, AR-Stoner 7.5" barrel, single point sling.

And of course, this handy dust cover, taken from another AR

More updates and pics will come as it becomes completed!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very cool. It is destined to become an SBR?

Here is my most recent one:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I could be mistaken but doesent the lower have to be regestered as a pistol lower in order to assemble it into a pistol? Or was that the plan all along? Because you said "didn't know what to do with it". I was under the assumption that recivers, when manufactured, had to be either pistol or rifle. Designated by the manufacturer. I could be way wrong on this, was just wondering if I got some bad info.

·
Banned
325 Posts
The way I understand it, no It does not. They make lowers that say specifically PISTOL on them because people had some fears about how the ATF viewed possessive intent when it came to owning a pistol AR and rifle AR or rifle parts. I believe that was cleared up a while back with the ATF stating that it's ok to swap back and forth but to never install a stock and short barrel together. Also some states vary on how they handle pistols vs rifles, if you're in one of those your best bet is to get a pistol marked lower.

Also since there are now dated pictures that he built this into a pistol originally from a virgin receiver, I don't think he would ever run into any trouble. BTW I don't own or really plan to own an AR pistol, so you should verify any questions you have on your own before you make any choices about a build ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way I see it, as long as it has a barrel less than 16" and no stock its a pistol. Doesn't matter what's written on the reciever. Add a stock and it becomes an SBR which would require a form 4 and a $200 tax stamp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for helping me understand this whole thing better guys. I'll definately do some checking if I ever decide to build my own. Or just keep looking for a PLR 16:p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also.... some food for thought... if, say, a suppressor was added, and the barrel plus suppressor brought the total barrel length to 16", it wouldn't be an SBR, if it were welded on. But, the suppressor requires a form 4 and $200 tax stamp.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Also.... some food for thought... if, say, a suppressor was added, and the barrel plus suppressor brought the total barrel length to 16", it wouldn't be an SBR, if it were welded on. But, the suppressor requires a form 4 and $200 tax stamp.
You just have to be very careful at the order you assemble everything. Not a legal expert, but I believe you need to register the suppressor, then permanently attach to the barrel, confirm the OAL will be over 26" and the barrel is over 16" in length, then assemble.

I believe most suppressors are much easier to clean when they are removable. You just might want to have an SBR + suppressor even though that's extra paperwork and $200 more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts