Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
The "article" was one of the small boxes on a page that gives limited into on a specific cartridge.
It was not a standard full page article, so it's easy to miss.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
If I make changes, and I will make a few minor changes, it's mostly set up.

The funky muzzle "thing" is actually a flashlight that will be seen better in a moment. I like a 2 point sling generally, but decided I liked a single point sling more on the KS7. I had a See-All sight on it but removed it because I'm so accustomed to red dots. Here it wears a Trijicon MRO. I might change that out to a different red dot but for now it stays.

Here is the muzzle so that it can be seen a bit better. The muzzle device is a Hi Tech, the name escapes me. It was added for use with a 2 point sling; so that I wouldn't shoot off the swivel. Since the light is longer than the destroyer(?) the muzzle device will stay on there for now. The mount for the light is a HiTech side mount. It interferes with the pump handle so, not seen here, a corner of the pump handle had to be ground away. The QD cup seen mounted on the surface of the mag cap is going to be replaced. I have a Noveske on order. I liked the Noveske installation when I saw it. I may never use it again, but I already have a hole there (I'll need to enlarge it), and it'll be a cleaner installation. The light is an inexpensive Sofirn SP31 and uses a 18650 LiIon cell. It didn't quite fit the 'scope ring so there is a shim made from a shotgun hull to take up the space. I haven't fired it yet. If it doesn't stay in place under recoil I might move to a Streamlight with a laser. It'll either prove itself or not. But the light itself isn't bad for the $25 spent. With the supplied cell it has a runtime of 291hours on the lowest setting or 2.5 hours at max'.

Another angle showing the top of the rail at the muzzle. It shows the HT side mount a bit better. If I remember correctly I reversed the side rail to point it forward to get the light positioned better. The light itself has the brightness selector just in front of the ring. The momentary switch is in the base to the left. Press for momentary, click for continuous. In turbo mode one has 3 minutes before the light will ramp down to prevent damage from over heating. The scope ring is a Warne that I had in parts.

OK, old fart about to walk down memory lane... We've come a long way. My old 870 tactical shotgun had a 2 D cell light that was far more massive and much heavier and didn't have 1/4 the brightness of the light seen here. I'll stop there except to state that the KS7 is IMO a much better shotgun for things that go bump in the night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMHO, Kel-Tec could take the extra time and send out a better, more polished, product. Sticking it to the buyer to rectify their fit and finishing issues is BS.

·
Registered
268 Posts
IMHO, Kel-Tec could take the extra time and send out a better, more polished, product. Sticking it to the buyer to rectify their fit and finishing issues is BS.

Well, have you seen the prices on other bullpup shotguns? You can get it down to Kel Tec range price wise if you want one with 5 rd. external box magazines. I paid $800 for my KSG25. I have well over 1000 rounds through it with no issues. It holds 25 and no box mag.

Next up for me is either the Tavor TS12 or the RMS 1216. $1400 and $1900 respectively.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yup, some things are just glaring. Like the mag tube in mine. I had a heck of a time loading it and I know what I'm doing. To make it right before assembly would have taken no time at all and after arriving into the users hands is a PITA to get at. It can be done, but not everyone will be able do it. With my KS7 that was the worst of things that needed to be fixed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
My KS7 is finished. I move slowly and add things, then tweak what I've added, or maybe remove things and add others until it's right for me (maybe not for you) eventually it gets to the final product and here's what works for me.

From muzzle to butt...
Sofirn SP31 V2.0 light SP31 V2.0 XPL-HI or LH351D 5000K / 4000K Tactical Flashlight with Battery and Charger
HiTech muzzle brake hitechcc KS7 Steel Defender Muzzle Brake with Nut Remover Tool Combo Pack (2 pc kit)
Noveske QD cup mounted in the mag tube cap Noveske Flush QD Sling Mount 05000471 Color: Black, $1.00 Off
HiTech side rail mount hitechcc Hi-Tech Custom KSG-NR/KS7/KSG Mini-Side Angle Rail (Left or Right)
KelTec rail
UTG(?) riser
Trijicon MRO w/ 1:3 Battle Steel co-witness mount
MCarbo Single point sling mount KEL-TEC KSG QD Single Point Sling Mount
KelTec extended butt
Tactical Hero sling Amazon.com : Tactical Hero 2 Point Rifle Sling, Fits All Guns, Fast Adjuster, Shoulder Pad, Dynamic Straps - BDS 4X Hunting Gun Sling 34"-57" : Sports & Outdoors

First note the soot on the muzzle end of the gun. It's seeing use and is how I've been testing things.

OK, now the rationale for the mods...

Light: I won't have a close range weapon w/o a light for final verification before tripping the trigger and the hot spot acts as an aiming point when close up. I'm heavy into Li-Ion technology so the power source was a no-brainer. I did consider a Surefire(?) light laser combo, but the shotgun is like a 3rd tier weapon and the odds of ever using it are slim. The price of this light was right and it's perfect for the job. It's held up with no malfunctions in maybe close to 100 rounds fired. It's capable of plenty of lumens if that's required, it's good out to at least 100 yards and due to the Li-Ion cells it'll do that for quite some time but for it's invisioned role I keep it at a much lower setting. Too many lumens can blind the user and the light is NOT the weapon. A button on it's butt is only the momentary and on/off. The lumens is controlled from a button behind the head (easily sen in the photo).

Muzzle Brake: I needed a barrel extension so as not to shoot off the sling point under the barrel. I doubt that the brake effect is very much, but if I shoot anything off it'll be nylon and not tear the metal parts of the mag tube apart.

Muzzle sling point: I had an Ebay/Amazon QD cup on the muzzle capbut it stood out and frankly I didn't like it. I thought the forces (stress) on the parts wouldn't hold up. Then someone on this forum pioneered the Noveske and I found my QD sling point. Is everything perfect with it? No. It comes with some sort of thread locker crapping up the threads preventing the backer nut from screwing on easily. There's little room in the muzle cap to hold it anyway and no way to screw the actual cup onto the nut. I tried their instructions and it didn't work. The instructions also said to use thread locker and I did. I got to a point on the first install where I couldn't get the nut on further, or off. So I screwed that up. KelTec sells muzzle caps for $10 :D . The 2nd install I heated up the QD cup to melt the thread locker and used a Dremel wire wheel to remove it. I added my thread locker and that install went much better. Job complete.

Light side mount: I tried various mounts that positioned the light in oddball places. They were either too high or to far to the side. I wanted to get it closer to the pump handle so that a simple raise of the thumb could give me the flash of light I would need while keeping my hand on the pump handle. I bit the bullet and ordered the HiTech unit. It required a small corner of the pump handle being ground off but the light is placed much better where it is. The scope ring I used to hold the light is a Warne ring I've had in parts for decades. The light itself might have a tendency to work it's way forward under repetitive recoil, so to combat that the ring butts up against a section of the light that has a bigger OD. It might want to work it's way forward but it's not possible.

KelTec Rail: I tried to mount a different sight on the carry handle but screwed up the ordering of the mount required. That was serendipity since I'm an old dog and don't take to new tricks all that well. I ordered the rail and tried a See-All sight but took it off. I just wasn't fast enough with it.

MRO and UTG riser: I had the MRO in parts and they are rugged as a rock, so I knew it would hold up to the recoil. My vision for the KS7 is for close range, and the MRO just isn't needed for that. But if I ever need to use slugs it's sighted in for them (Aguila 1 3/4" slugs at the moment). I needed the sight higher and the UTG riser is what the LGS had on the wall. The Battle Steel co-witness mount came with the MRO if I remember correctly. All of them give me the right height so that I don't need to contort my body to use the sight. I'm faster that way.

MCarbo single point sling mount: I tried to use the attachment point at the butt of the KS7 but I didn't like it. The KS7 has a huge advantage over "normal" long shotguns. The short nature of the bullpup means that if anyone should grab the barrel they have no leverage. To make that grab even less likely I want to slide the gun back so that the muzzle is closer to my hip. That makes a grab almost impossible before I can separate their hand from their forearm with a blast of buckshot. Using a sling point at the butt interfered with that shotgun positioning.

Tactical Hero sling: There are more expensive slings to be had and if one is an operator and not only an armchair commando they would be worthwhile. Yes I have a few of those but I'm not longer at the point where I can use them to their potential so why buy more of them? This sling doesn't break the bank and isn't the typical Chinese crap seen elsewhere for a sling. It'll do. OK, so why a sling? IF someone should grab the gun muzzle using the sling cross body means they'd have a heck of a time turning the gun on me. But it still allows me to shoulder it should I need to employ it at a distance. Remember the MRO? It's sighted in for 50 yards and is usable further than that so shouldering is mandatory. A sling also works to free up the hands if that's required. We don't write the way things might turn out in an engagement so it works for me to have as many contingencies as possible accounted for.

KelTec extended Buttpad: Coupled with my reduced recoil shells it's plenty of recoil mitigation without being obnoxious. Heck, with normal recoil shells it's enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is the muzzle so that it can be seen a bit better. The muzzle device is a Hi Tech, the name escapes me. It was added for use with a 2 point sling; so that I wouldn't shoot off the swivel.
I believe that is the Hi Tech Defender. I see they JUST came out with a steel KS7 version of the defender that lets you install a Remington style choke tube. Obviously the use of the choke tube negates any venting and any possible recoil mitigation, but the ability to put maybe a modified choke in place for buckshot or for birdshot survival hunting use would be a serious value-add. I think I would have a modified for pellets of any size and a cylinder bore choke for slugs, and keep the spare in that grip-plug that Mcarbo makes. I would have gone this route if it was available a year or so ago when I was outfitting mine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I believe that is the Hi Tech Defender. I see they JUST came out with a steel KS7 version of the defender that lets you install a Remington style choke tube. Obviously the use of the choke tube negates any venting and any possible recoil mitigation, but the ability to put maybe a modified choke in place for buckshot or for birdshot survival hunting use would be a serious value-add. I think I would have a modified for pellets of any size and a cylinder bore choke for slugs, and keep the spare in that grip-plug that Mcarbo makes. I would have gone this route if it was available a year or so ago when I was outfitting mine.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts