"My" KS7 came in today.

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by BJK, Aug 5, 2020.

1. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I'd been waiting for a few months for any KS7 to come in. But as it turned out my KS7 came in today. I had colors worked out as to desirability with tactical peanut butter being dead last. My KS7 came in black which was my second choice. OD was #1, but no such luck. But black shotguns matter, so it'll be good.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I took a drive to the LGS to discuss possible additional items they could make for the wall (they are a manufacturer) and while there one of the sales people mentioned that 1 KS7 came in and the owner suggested to call me. Well, no call was made since I was there in the flesh.

I fondled it a bit and frankly saw nothing that the KSG Tactical would do for me that the KS7 wouldn't. If I was part of an entry team or was going to use it for HD that might be reason enough to buy the Tactical, but that's not what I want it for. Plus, I really dislike vertical foregrips, one of which is found on the Tactical.

I'm sure I've written this before but I'm going to repeat it here. As we age we tend to lose muscle mass and I'm going through that right now. I'm fighting it at the gym, but I never count on one solution for anything. To compensate I'm finding that bullpups, SBRs, and arm braced handguns are working. The KS7 will be replacing my "battle" shotgun that I built (WOW! Has it really been that long!?) almost 40 years ago. It was usable for me once upon a time and I like the machined steel, but it's got too much mass "way out there" without it even being loaded. Fully load it and it gets much worse. The KS7 will be a fine replacement.

So today I got it home and disassembled it down to bolt removal and lubed the working parts. (Ssss! Booo!) I saw no easy way to get to the trigger parts and that's the pits, but typical KelTec. I wasn't trained to not clean things and to clean the trigger parts one must get to them. But as much as I use a shotgun dirty trigger parts will be fine. I took it outside and loaded as many 1 3/4 minishells as I could into the mag... 11 fit. I didn't fire any but ejected them to ensure function. They seemed to work fine all except for one. Probably something I did in stroking the gun, it flipped itself around so that the base was trying to get into the chamber. Before counting on minishells for use in it I need to do a lot more testing.

But so far I like the new acquisition, I just need to fire it, all in due time. First I need parts to arrive. I want to put a SeeAll sight on it. It will get mounted either on the carry handle with a M16 carry handle mount and if that doesn't fill me with joy I'll get the rail and use that. I won't contort my body to line the sights up with my eye. When I raise the gun up to shooting position the eye needs to be right there in the line of sight. Obviously with a straight line stock that means the sights need to be raised. I've had folks comment,"Aren't those sights high?". Yup, they sure are. I want the shoulder pad on my shoulder, not floating above my shoulder pocket and the more recoil the more critical that is, my head/neck uncontorted, and my eye lined up. The sights need to be where they need to be to get that done.

OK, enough rambling. :D

Floyd Eye likes this.
  2. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Happy for you. I had a lot of the same thoughts regarding sights.
    Happy for you! I had some of the same thoughts and needs as you had regarding sights and raising it up higher. The M16 rail carry handle solution you suggested works great. I’ve never seen the See Alls in person, but it looks like a great choice for shotguns. Let us know how it works out! Welcome!

3. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I've had the sight for probably 2 years now. I want to get some use out of it before the tritium poops itself. I have a red dot that can go there if it doesn't work out, but it's not intended for wing shooting so I suspect it'll be OK. But I'll give a review once I have time to wring it out a bunch. If something sucks I'm not at all shy about stating that.
    Yes, I read of your exploits with the mount :likey: and I knew that's what my first move was going to be. After all these years though I never put one of those carry handle mounts in parts so now I wait for it to arrive. If I had purchased the Tactical I have everything ready to slap on it, right now. But of course it would be held for the ransom for a year. I think I can wait a few days for the mount. :D

I don't know if I'll ever need it, but I put a 3 slot M-Lok rail section on the sight rail on the left and as far forward as possible. If I ever put a light or laser on it it's ready. This gun has all sorts of mounting slots for M-Loks, but frankly I don't know what half of them are positioned for. There's even one on the pump handle but it's too far back for anything I can envision putting on it. Maybe for a constant on light? Not for me in that placement.

I want to put a better follower in it, but I'm not going to do very much to it beyond that :D or at this time. (I'm known, at least by me, for making my guns better [tweaking this and that], so I chuckle at that statement.)

4. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    That’s the first thing I did, mount a rail on the left forward up top. Then I got a small pistol-sized light/laser combo. I mounted another rail on the other side opposite it, but haven’t used it. Looks good though lol. I like rails. Then I covered up the other open mlok slots with polymer snap-on mlok covers. On the pump handle they sort of act as grips.

BJK likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    There were things wrong with mine. I didn't mention them because I knew they were common complaints. For a firearm intended to be shot it was almost impossible to load. As it was it would have been a deal breaker for me. But I knew what to do to fix it and took care of that today. KelTec really needs to bevel the mag tube before final assembly. But it's much better now and since I now know I was doing the correct fix next time I have it apart I'll embellish the bevel some more. That was by far the most glaring problem with the firearm. The rest is just tweaking it to make it fit me.

Oh, one other item, but it was just a comfort item. The molded carry handle/sight rail had a sharp edge where one isn't intended to grab it. I grab it when I take the gun out of the safe. I removed the mold edge.

I still haven't shot it because I'm waiting for part(s) to arrive.

Yesterday I had a heck of a time getting the bolt forward in reassembly but even that went smoother today. I guess I figured out what had to be done.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    So my Chinese made carry handle mount came in today. Why can't they figure out how to make a simple mount!!???? It couldn't be easier to make but they screwed it up. Instead of a making something to fit the channel it goes into they put an inclined plane on the sides where a simple plane surface should be. Where the extra material isn't it fits the channel (handle) just fine. But the piece that extends out doesn't fit in the channel, so the mount has a severe upward or downward cant to it. What carry handle is this for? No, I don't expect an answer. What I bought is garbage and I waited for it to be delivered.

I'm done with trying various Chinese parts in the hopes of getting something that's made correctly. I ordered the KT rail today. I have what I need to mount the SeeAll on hand already. It's more $ but screw the Chinese crap. Why can't make they a simple piece? Heck, I'm not a machinist and I can see how it needs to be made. But I don't have my own rice paddy to defecate in. They know how to do that and I don't/can't. They can return to that.

I hope this indicates just what their military gear is like if we ever have to fight them.

7. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    This is the one I used, it requires you to slightly elongate the
    original hole used to access the rear carry handle mount screw. It sits nicely in the channel. All aluminum.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222820283384

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  8. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Much if not most Chinese made "gun parts" are actually airsoft parts.

Chinese made parts are very much of "you get what you pay for".
    In some cases Chinese parts may work out, but quality is very "iffy".

9. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    FWIW, In the interest of honesty I realized that the mount will indeed fit the AR15/M16. So any incompatiblity was on my part. I needed to choose what I wanted a bit better. But it's done now. My rail has been shipped.

10. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    I guess I’ve been lucky, I’ve had good luck with the Chinese stuff I’ve bought lately. I’m cheap.

11. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    There's nothing wrong with cheap as long as it works.

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 $75.00 dot sight and a Chinese mount on my Colt M4 because I couldn't afford an Aimpoint.
    So far it's worked fine.

Floyd Eye and BJK like this.
  12. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Yup. But some things I just won't cheap out on, mid quality is OK though.

On that note, at the match this Sunday a gent went walking back to his auto to pick up his spare handgun. Why? His RMR self destructed. I didn't get a close look, but it looked to me like he was holding the lense from it in his hand. Stuff happens.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019

That red dot is consistently ranked one of the top optics for shotguns.

14. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Well, I'm learning that the KS7 is NOT my Wingmaster!

I was having a problem with the bolt not locking closed. I found the problem. To save face I'm going to claim it was a burr. I wrote KT an email with no response in 2 days so I called today. I talked with a very helpful woman and we got the ball rolling for a return to the mothership. I wrote up the problem as requested, found and copied the sales slip, got a carton and was about to box it up. Then just for shits and giggles decided to manhandle the slide. Slamming it forward it locked in place. Did that again, same thing. So I tried to do it with less force and it locked in place. I've done it a few more times and now it's working fine. I expect that it will loosen up given more use. I should have tried force sooner, but I have the ability to break things and I'm reluctant to do that. But now it's working. I only wasted maybe 2 hours on what needed to be done before shipping, and not the 3-4 weeks to get it back. Sharon at KT was happy to hear that she didn't need to send a shipping label too. Yeah, it's not my Wingmaster. That's as smooth as silk. Clearly the KS7 has characteristics all it's own.

I've been waiting for the sight solution and the last part, the rail, arrives today. I'll install everything and maybe this weekend I'll sight it in and fire it. Assuming I like the SeeAll. If I don't like it in dry firing then I'll put a red dot on it. But my hope is that the SeeAll works for me. If it was a bird gun I wouldn't even think of an optical sight. But again, it's not my Wingmaster (Rem 870).

Edit: I lied. I shot it today. No real distance just enough to put it on paper @ 15yds with minislugs figuring sight offset. When it cools down outside I'll shoot it more and maybe sight it in @50 yards if it'll do that. Paper plate accuracy @ 50 would be nice, more would be icing on the cake.

It has a wallop but flinging 7/8 oz of lead @ 1250fps will do that. Out of a lightweight gun, that amplifies the recoil. But it's really no big deal it's just something to handle.

The SeeAll is different. I need to shoot it more to decide anything. But I'm accustomed to red dot sights and I need to take that into account and not predispose myself to not giving it a fair shake. One thing I have noticed is that being indoors and using an outdoors sunlit "target" the sight is extremely hard to see. I don't know if I like that.

Typical for me also, due to the straight line stock and my dislike of contorting my body I had to raise it up 1" and one more minimal riser (I don't know the actual measurement of that one.). Now it's perfect. I just bring the gun up with the butt making full contact in my shoulder pocket and the sight picture is right there. It may look too high to other folks, but they won't be shooting it.

I think I'm going to like this shotgun and my Wingmaster will be sold.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  15. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    The Kel-Tec's are based on the old John Browning Ithaca Model 37 action.
    Everything happens in the last 1/2 inch of the slide to the rear, and the last 1/2 inch of movement to the front.

After doing a moderate "fluff & buff" to my KS7 it IS about as smooth as any shotgun, including the Remington 870's I've owned.
    The details are in an article I wrote......

https://www.thektog.org/articles/smoothing-the-kel-tec-ks7-shotgun.88/

After the slight amount of work I did, it's almost impossible to get the gun to malfunction it operates so smoothly.
    The KS7 is already a smoother operating gun then the KSG, right out of the box.

16. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I read that article, I just haven't done it yet. It might be a good winter project.

Yeah, I had a model 37. This version is much easier to disassemble and reassemble.

17. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I removed the SeeAll today and put on a MRO that was doing nothing. Old dogs new tricks... I have thousands and thousands of bullets launched from red dot equipped firearms. By the time I get accustomed to the SeeAll I'll be dead or near death. I liked the "openness" of the sight. There's just nothing to bother the peripheral vision.

Moderators, if what I'm about to do is verboten, please remove the paragraph.

If anyone wants to try one this is the Tritium model. I'll sell it for $50 less than a new one since I'll never use it. It has a total of 9 minislugs fired out from under it. It also comes with a S&W wedge to adapt it to one of their M&P handguns. You pay the shipping. I think a small Priority Mail box costs near $9, but I can find the exact cost when it's time. So that I don't get in trouble with any UN Treaties or whatever other legal hoops there are, USA only.

I've been dry firing it today and that is loosening things up substantially. Yesterday I was ready to order the MCarbo trigger springs but with more dry firing I might get away with not changing them. I don't expect a match trigger but it was pretty rough at first. I'd like to get in there to put some grease in the right places but I still wake up with the cold sweats after a nightmare about the sub2k trigger assembly. :D OK, slight exaggeration. Tonight I'll dry fire it a lot more. Now I can gently close the slide and the bolt locks in place as it should.

18. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    "Stuff" came in from HiTech today. The Defender muzzle brake, the muzzle nut socket and the 90° angle side rail.

Uh oh! Problems with the side rail mount. It won't clear the pump handle. There's a ridge on the handle and that hits the mount. I'm not modifying anything at this time though. I want my light to come in first.

The barrel nut came off in a heartbeat. The directions said to use an impact wrench so I did. It took longer to get set up to do the job than the job took to do. I gotta say that it doesn't look terrible on the end of the barrel and doesn't add a great deal to the OAL. It gives it a sort of military flash hider look. It allowed me to take the "convex V" QD swivel off and put on a higher quality normal horizontal slot QD swivel. It should work fine. The brake is certainly built rugged!

1 3/4" ammo? I have some #8 shot loads (expensive! and I won't buy any more) and 80 slugs. But I have casting gear coming in to make slugs. I might also cast my own lead balls. We'll see. It looks pretty easy to make 1 3/4" shells from longer ones.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Gary Castro likes this.
  19. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    Last year the American Rifleman magazine had a very short article on how to make your own 1 3/4" shells from longer shells.
    I can't remember the details, but it gave info on wads and other components.

20. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I have the back issues. I'll need to look it up. Thanks!