My Kel-tec exploded!!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by starquestbd22, Jul 17, 2008.

1. starquestbd22

starquestbd22 New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi everyone.  I'm new here.  I have a Kel-tec P-3AT that has about 150-200 rounds through it...never a hiccup.  Well today at the range I was shooting the Kel-tec and my buddy was shooting his new Ruger LCP.  His LCP was having trouble feeding the Magtech ball ammo he had purchased to break it in.  I traded him some of my Winchester white box ball ammo for some of the Magtech.  The LCP loved the WWB and functioned flawlessly from there on.  I ran one mag of the Magtech through with no problems but then on the fourth round of the second mag all hell broke loose.  I'm not sure what happened but the entire polymer frame, inner rails, slide, and barrel of the gun are destroyed.  At this point I am leaning towards the ammo as being at fault but who knows?  I do know that the shot before this one hit the target so there was no squib round in the barrel.  The spent casing is still trapped in the chamber.  Thankfully, I wasn't hurt.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this?  Other than too much powder maybe?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

But seriously, you should take some and e-mail them to Kel-Tec (service@kel-tec-cnc.com), and they will almost definitely ask for your address to send you a call tag so you can just put it in a box and UPS will take it to them.

3. starquestbd22

starquestbd22 New Member

Jul 17, 2008
  4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    CALL KT. Immediately. Tell them what happened to "my pistol with about X number of rounds through it..." and follow their directions. You might want to offer photos if they want them.

-Scott

5. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    dude,

thats just disturbing! no preceding squib and a quality brand ammo that many of us swears by. :'( wth!? please keep us posted on kel-tecs analysis of this! really glad youre not hurt and rest assured KT will take care of you and give you a new gun. i just hope you dare to shoot it (what you experienced is close to unheard off)

6. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    Sorry to hear about your exploding p3at, and glad to hear you weren't injured. At first I thought you may have been using MagSafe ammo, but pics show it is MagTech.

For your info, your 3at is a first generation, which hasn't been produced for a couple years, keep that in mind when you talk to a customer service rep.

I think KT will replace your pistol, but it will probably be a new second generation.

Jim

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    This is the second (??) one of these I've seen this past year or so. Kinda cool the way they destruct without taking your fingers with it. That is no accident. They are designed to come apart in a way that keeps the damage away from the operator.

BTW, welcome to KTOG.

Check your messages, the link is at the top of the page.

Glad you weren't hurt.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    OUCH.....glad you are ok

Like the others, call KT, tell them what happen.  No need to go into to many details about who's pocket it has been carried in  ;) AND EDIT YOUR POST OF THAT TIDBIT

also, I'm sure KT will examine and give you their opinion on what caused it.

There have been a couple KBOOMS I recall and those two got new pistols with the old serial #

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
  10. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I'm sure KT will replace your broken G1 with a brand new G2, probably with the exact same serial number as the kaboom'd gun.

11. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    WOW...glad you are okay. The last 150 rounds through my P3AT have been Magtech. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

12. starquestbd22

starquestbd22 New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies and concerns. I am going to call up KT tomorrow. I will keep you all updated.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If you are sure there was no barrel obstruction, then my guess is a double charged round or something amiss with the ammo.  No normal magtech round could do that.  And yes, the gun did what it is designed to do under those circumstances.  As you have already been advised, call KT and ask for a call tag.  They'll fix you up.  If it makes you feel any better, you can tell your friend that although it has only been out for a few months, there was an LCP Kaboom back in May that made the internet rounds.  No doubt it was ammo related as well.

14. starquestbd22

starquestbd22 New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yeah, I'm absolutely positive on no squib. I remembered three rounds striking the paper prior to the kaboom. The kaboom was number four and there were three left in the mag (seven round-extended mag).

15. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    If you find out it was definately the ammo let us all know on here. I have a P3AT 1st generation too and a bunch of the same ammo sitting around so I will check for lot #'s if that's the case.
    I just checked all the boxes I could find of the stuff and it all appears to be different lot #'s than that of the picture.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How about the posibilty the chamber mouth lip is worn/eroded/dremeled and allowed the case wall to enter the throat.  This will cause excessive pressure since the case wall has no room to open and release the bullet

the barrel lug is the thinest along the bottom sides and it apprears to be a little jagged tear starting near the chamber mouth lip in that thin block area

could you find the brass from the precedding shots and see if it shows any signs of excessive pressure, like wall near the base blowing out in the unsuported chamer area. Any drawing stretching lenght wise of the mouth. pushed out primer from its pocket

17. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    To be honest, I'm astounded that a barrel so small can even begin to handle the pressure, but they do. Unless you reload you wouldn't know this, but the cases on pistol cartridges are mostly empty. The powder charge is so small that you could easily double charge one. Commercial ammo is usually quite good avoiding that through inspection and controls, but it's not hard to imagine a round getting double charged now and then.

Another possibility is that the barrel simply had a defect and it's number was up. I'm sure you will get a new pistol from the deal. If you're afraid to shot it, send it to me for, say a couple years, and I'll test it thoroughly for you ;D

Did that round leave the barrel? I'm curious to know. I'm impressed at how well it held together.

18. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I find it curious that you said the Magtech ammo wouldn't feed but the Winchester would. Both are ball ammo and I can't see why one wouldn't feed and another would,.....unless there is something screwy with that ammo

19. starquestbd22

starquestbd22 New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    THE_HUNTER......I will certainly let you know if it is determined to be the ammo. My buddy just bought it yesterday from a large gun shop. It should be pretty new stuff.

JFB.......Finding the previously spent rounds might not be impossible, but damn close. They are laying out on the range with who knows how many other casings. I wish I had thought to look for them before we left.

downhill....Yes, that round did leave the barrel. The Magtech ammo didn't seem to want to feed well in the new Ruger LCP that we were shooting. It would feed some and not some....it was hit and miss. When we put the Winchester in the Ruger, it worked great. We ran 100 rounds through it over the day with no problems. Both brands seemed to be working just fine in the Kel-tec until the kaboom. And the Winchester even has a somewhat flat nose whereas the Magtech is a round ball and looks like it should feed better.

One other odd thing I did notice. As you can see in the pictures, the casing is still locked up in the chamber. I could probably get it out but I figured it would be better to let KT do that. Anyway, I looked down the barrel with a flashlight and the casing is actually crushed inward on the right side where the large split begins. I guess I was expecting it to be blown outward instead.

20. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    My vote would be double charge.  Look how the barrel split so close to the chamber - unlikely an obstruction would do that.

One less 1G P-3AT in the world.  :-/

BTW, if you own holsters etc., for the 1G you better let them know before you ship it or you might get a 2G back instead.