Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range with my PF9 all cleaned and lubed and ready to try some Federal Ammo. Get my target in place, load, then cock the gun.. get my stance and my grip.. press the trigger... NOTHING! I could see the hammer go down but it didnt feel right. Thinking I could have a dud.. I drop the magazine out and then eject the round. I take a good look at the gun to make sure I dont see anything obvious. Reload, re-cock.. Aim, pull the trigger.. NOTHING!

I drop the mag out and do it again.. then PLING! the fireing pin goes flying out of the gun!

This is a brand new gun, so now im a bit perplexed and bummed. Ill call Keltec on Monday but in the meantime I havent had a chance to open the gun up and see if I can see why the firing pin dislodged. Stay tuned.

I spent the rest of my session firing my very reliable Keltec P32. But im really bummed about my PF9 :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
The extractor screw has a dual function. It secures the extractor spring and the firing pin. Chances are that your extractor screw was loose.

When you get your new firing pin and spring from KT be sure to snug the extractor screw down good with some blue loctite.

Sorry that happened to ya!

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is a brand new gun, so now im a bit perplexed and bummed. Ill call Keltec on Monday but in the meantime I havent had a chance to open the gun up and see if I can see why the firing pin dislodged. Stay tuned.

:(

the extractor spring screw is what keeps the FP from coming out of the rear of slide .
if you feel comfortable detail stripping the slide , remove the screw, spring and ext'r , then pull the FP and have a look

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How tight does that screw have to be? Because last week when I was having FTE issues I made sure it was tight and I did back it out to put some loctite on it. Is it possible that I backed the screw out to much and the pin got off kilter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
How tight does that screw have to be? Because last week when I was having FTE issues I made sure it was tight and I did back it out to put some loctite on it. Is it possible that I backed the screw out to much and the pin got off kilter?
It is possible that when you backed out the screw the FP rotated some and you didn't get the screw back into position properly on the FP to retain it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I like to install the Frankenbolt while holding the slide and gently pressing and easing off the firing pin. this makes sure that the firing pin is oriented properly and not snuggging the bolt down on the non grooved side of the pin

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
If you loosened the extractor screw to put some loctite on it, it is very likely (if you were not aware of it) that the firing pin moved out of position, and then when you tightened the screw, you likely locked the pin in place since the screw tip then would have pressed against the pin. Thus, the hammer simply hit the "frozen" pin, which could not move. Several tries at dropping the hammer on the pin likely damaged the extractor screw tip, breaking it off, allowing the firing pin to come loose althogether, and come out the back of the slide. You probably not only need a new firing pin and spring, but a new extractor screw as well.

Jim R

·
Registered
145 Posts
The screw didn't bust off inside did it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the screw is fine. I had obviously let the firing pin move back and when I tightened the screw back, it was not securing the firing pin. I re-seated the firing pin like it should be and the gun is working great!

·
Registered
718 Posts
The spring pressure will push the pin back enough to move the channel to far back. When you tighten that screw you should also push the pin in a bit. The screw will flatten the spring out and be all the way down when seated properly. The first pf9 I stripped to coat I didn't notice the sight screw was a couple of threads shorter than the firing pin screw. I reassembled the slide and pushed in on the pin and released and it shot across the room. Never made that mistake again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts