Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm newly registered here, but I've been lurking the forums for a little while now.  Anyways, I purchased a hard chrome, P3AT on Friday. I took it to the range on Saturday, and here's my review. Here she is. The serial number is J9*** for reference.


THE RECOIL FACTOR:
I was almost scared to shoot it, because of what people said about it "making them bleed." And, "You need a way to tame this wild beast." Well, it did kick, but nothing like some people have said. My .40 Glock 22 is worse. I didn't get my trigger finger beat up, and my thumb didn't get rubbed raw, As some have claimed.

RELIABILITY:
I did get some FTF's about every other round, for the first mag. I then realized, it was because of me not holding the gun tight enough. I wasn't quite limp wristing it, but it definitely takes a more conscious effort than I'm used to with my Glocks. Once I got my grip under control, I had only 2 FTF's, which was because I got relaxed again. This happened with Fed Hydra shok rounds. I then switched over to cci Blazer rounds. I purposely tried to limp wrist it, and I could not get it to Fail on me with those! That's going to be my carry ammo, because of this reason. Though I will switch to JHP's, once I get some more range time with it. Just to be sure.

ACCURACY:
I was very impressed with this little guys accuracy! I could get 1" to 3" groups, out to about 20', then I started to spread them out around 5" or so. Still hitting center mass easily, out to 25'. I can shoot this very closely to the performance I've gotten from Glock, inside of 15'. Here are 2 pictures of groups that I shot from 15' out. The top one is the very first 7 shots I fired.  



CONCLUSION:
I'm glad I made this purchase. According to some harsh critics, these guns jam, make your fingers bleed, fall apart, and are just plain junk! Now I only shot 150 rounds today, so my experience is limited, but so far I give this thing a 8 out of 10. If I have something else I can get away with carrying, then obviously I will. But if the situation comes down to me needing a pocket gun, I won't think twice about trusting the P3AT.

Here's a picture of my Glock 22, Extra mags, Galco high rise OWB holster, Federal Hydra shoks in a zip lock, Kel Tec P3AT, and Uncle Mikes pocket holster, for those interested. Sorry about clarity, its a camera phone picture.



Hopefully you guys enjoyed this read. Feel free to comment.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
32,240 Posts
Good deal. FWIW, most folks have better luck with brass-cased ammo. Was that Blazer brass?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
32,240 Posts
That's some pretty impressive shooting, especially for this gun at those ranges. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Thanks for the very detailed report. And VERY nice shooting as others have said.

I can't offer any KT words of wisdom, but I can offer a small suggestion on your photography - that little "flower" on your digital camera is "macro" or "close up" mode. It will make focussing on those close ups a lot easier/better and give you some really decent pics to share.

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
adamsesq said:
Thanks for the very detailed report.  And VERY nice shooting as others have said.

I can't offer any KT words of wisdom, but I can offer a small suggestion on your photography - that little "flower" on your digital camera is "macro" or "close up" mode.  It will make focussing on those close ups a lot easier/better and give you some really decent pics to share.

-Scott
Haha! Yeah, these pictures were taken with a camera phone, so I didn't expect great quality. Thanks for the advice though.
 
G

·
Congratulations on your trip Hydrashok... and welocme to the board.

I did have some trouble with my gun at first, but things are working out.

I almost bought my 3AT the first time I held one, (The thing is so tiny to carry so much punch!) but made myself lurke around in here a bit before buying.

All the chat I heard about kicking like a mule and tearing hands up...I really thought it would be a beast, but it does not bother me. The most I ever shot in one outing was about 100 rounds.

jeesh......I am rambling.....

Welcome aboard Hydrashok......and thanks for the detailed report
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
Congratulations on your trip Hydrashok... and welocme to the board.

I did have some trouble with my gun at first, but things are working out.

I almost bought my 3AT the first time I held one, (The thing is so tiny to carry so much punch!) but made myself lurke around in here a bit before buying.

All the chat I heard about kicking like a mule and tearing hands up...I really thought it would be a beast, but it does not bother me.  The most I ever shot in one outing was about 100 rounds.

jeesh......I am rambling.....

Welcome aboard Hydrashok......and thanks for the detailed report
No problem. I am going out to the range again next weekend, so I will post an update. Be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Welcome HS82 from another Buckeye ;D

What part of Ohio and what range do you visit, if you don't mind me asking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rubb said:
Welcome HS82 from another Buckeye ;D

What part of Ohio and what range do you visit, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, and I don't mind at all. I am in Fairfield County/Suburban Southeast Columbus. I shoot at Deer creek, Ohio Valley, and Powder Room occasionally. How about you??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
HydraShok82 said:
Thanks, and I don't mind at all. I am in Fairfield County/Suburban Southeast Columbus. I shoot at Deer creek, Ohio Valley, and Powder Room occasionally. How about you??
;D Central, Franklin shoot at the Powder Room most of the time and have been to Deer Creek, New Albany and the new Lauhorner in Sringfield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rubb said:
;D Central, Franklin shoot at the Powder Room most of the time and have been to Deer Creek, New Albany and the new Lauhorner in Sringfield.
The powder room is alittle on the expensive side to me. Charging by the half hour. You should check out Ohio Valley if you haven't. $10 per person if you buy their ammo, $12 if you don't. Plus the place is only a few years old. I'm not sure about membership prices at either place though, because I go through phases of how often I shoot. Alot more in the warmer months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
I just read the range rules and only jacketed ammo allowed, that leaves me and Dad high and dry with the .45 reloads :-/ bummer

The Powder Room is not too bad if your there for two hours or so,
$5.00 a half hour($6 non member )
per booth and two people per, Dad and I can get out for under 20 bucks most of the time and we can shoot un jacketed reloads and they only charge $1 for 10, B-2 targets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rubb said:
I just read the range rules and only jacketed ammo allowed, that leaves me and Dad high and dry with the .45 reloads :-/ bummer

The Powder Room is not too bad if your there for two hours or so,
$5.00 a half hour($6 non member )
per booth and two people per, Dad and I can get out for under 20 bucks most of the time and we can shoot un jacketed reloads and they only charge $1 for 10, B-2 targets.
Yeah thats not too bad. I like that they have an indoor long range rifle range. (I did hear something about them closing that awhile back though?)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top