MY FIRST RANGE REPORT W P3-AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CCWMan, Apr 23, 2008.

1. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Today I finally got to the local range to try the "like new in box" P3-AT I bought from another member of this board. The serial number is HSXxx.

The ammo used was Rem/UMC 95 grn. "MC", a.k.a. FMJ.

The local temperature was 78 F and the relative humidity was 31%.

Accuracy was poor, with rounds within about a one foot circle. This was probably mostly due to my difficulty hanging on to the gun.

Out of 32 rounds fired there was 1 failure to feed and 6 failures to extract. I've been on this board long enough to know that KTs have a "break-in" period of 100-200 rounds so I"m not upset about it. I will buy some Allen wrenches and see if the extractor needs to be tightened down. I will also buy some Blazer Brass ammo and see if that makes any difference. If the gun doesn't function more reliably after 100 rounds I will mail it back to KT for a fluff and buff. I will also get the +1 extender as recoil is indeed snappy from this little gun and I can't get my pinky finger around the grip right now.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
    THANKS!

2. CCW... congrats on gettting the gun, and thanks for the report.

The accuracy for these little guns is usually great for the design and intended purpose.
    If I can keep a dinner plate group 15 feet out with the 3AT... to me that is good enough. I have actually done much better than that, but this lil gun is for bad breath close self defense.

The accuracy is usually not an issue with this gun!

As for the fail to feed... have you done the fluff and buff?

As for the fail to eject... have you done the fluff and buff? Checked the extractor spring bolt? Was it possibly grip on the gun? check th board and research limp wristin.

3. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I used the dremel bullet felt tip on my f & b. after it wore down some I could get it inside the chamber and I used it inside the chamber to help smooth it out. Now as long as I keep the extractor screw tight , all is well. Tom :)

4. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi Dave.
    Welcome.
    I use REM/UMC 95gr. All is great. No troubles.
    My S# HUExx. Iv'e had my P3AT about 2 years.
    At first I was useing reloads. Had all kinds of trouble.
    FTF FTE Jams Squibs. Got rid of the reloads.
    No F&B, had to sand the trigger and guard. hurt my finger.
    Also the back of the grip, by the S#.  Cut my hand.
    Again Welcome.
    Charlie.

5. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I was out shooting my Browning 9mm on a day in much like your conditions and I was laying my ammo on the hood of my truck before loading it into the clips. My range is a good sand pit near the house. I was having accuracy problems. I was usually pretty much on the money with that gun but that day I could have thrown rocks and done better. Someone told me that it was because my ammo got hot in the sun and caused higher pressures in the ammo causing the bullets to tumble. Sounded good to me and I have not left the ammo in the sun since and have have not had the problem again. Just a thought since you mentioned the temp.

Enjoy shooting,

CB

6. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    I wrote KT about the failures and Bill told me to mail the gun in. I'm enclosing a note describing the failues and asking them to do the F&B while they have it. Will post another range report when I can.

7. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Hate to say this but, whoever told you the higher temperatures were causing your Browning 9mm bullets to tumble didn't know what they were talking about.  It's not the best idea to subject ammo to long exposures in the sun but the idea of that causing 9mm in a Browning to tumble is total nonsense!  Now, the 9mm may tumble after striking something with hydrodynamic resistance like water, gelatin, etc but it's not going to be tumbling in the air.  Try shooting some shots on paper.  If the holes are round, the bullet is not tumbling.