Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Christmas present to the range today. A new P3AT.

It fired perfectly for the first 20, or so, rounds. Then it happened.

About half way through the trigger pull the hammer falls forward but, not all the way. Near the end of the trigger pull the hammer fell the rest of the way.

It was enough force to dimple the primer yet, not a strong enough hit to fire the round.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
behind the trigger is a hole with its attacment pin pressed in. if this pin works out, you get similair symtoms.

pushing it back in might fix the problem

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Nah! If THAT pin works out, first it will get harder to pull the trigger, then finally it won't fire at all.

Plain and simple: You short stroked the trigger. You have to let the trigger reset completely forward. (2 clicks) If you don't, then the hammer only falls from half cock and you get a light strike.

This gun relies on recoil to cock the hammer. Without recoil, the trigger is just dead. To get another shot, you have to pull the slide back about 1/4 inch to reset the hammer.

Try it now with a snap cap--It should perform normally.

Oh yeah! Welcome to KTOG and the world of P3ATs.

Packer.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I take it this happened repeatedly before you gave up on it.

It sounds as though the hammer is coming off of the transfer bar and the hammer is then trying to fire from that hammer block.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm positive short stroking isn't it.

What Zeke mentions is what it feels like. It feels as though it's slipping past the trigger???? And yes, it happened repeatedly.

(I hate it when I short stroke! :eek:)

Dave

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Take a knife blade and reach in below the slide at the right / rear. That little flat piece is the trigger bar / disconnecter.

See if it is still spring loaded UP into the disconnecter cut-out in the bottom of the slide rail.

If it isn't, your trigger bar spring has probably slipped out of the tiny little groove it rides in on the trigger bar.

That being the case, you will have to pull the frame out of the grip to put it back in. You might as well call KT and have them send you another trigger bar & spring when they come back from winter break.

The one you have may be cut too shallow to keep the spring where it belongs.

rcmodel

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Just to be sure you know, short stroking the trigger is NOT allowing it to return FULLY forward before shooting again. You should hear 2 clicks as it goes forward. Otherwise, you a snapping off the hammer block which will light strike every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Here's what I did....

I laid it upside down and using a flat screwdriver, I pushed on the trigger pin. I felt it move ever so little. It seemed to do the trick! :) I'll take it back out tomorrow for a dry run.

NOW. How do I keep the pin from coming out again? Will it work its way out by itself again?

Dave

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
No bubble gum! FWIW, it might stay in with nothing but keep an eye on it. If you must use locktite, go with the blue stuff.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
I doubt that you have found the problem, because the trigger pin would have to be really loose to cause this--And THEN, it wouldn't fire. Whatever it is, it was more likely the trip upside down that changed it.

If it does it again, be observant and give us full details please.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I had this issue (trigger pin) several years back with a P32. My pin wasn't backed out much. Intermittently, it would fire, or the hammer would come only half way forward like yours. Sometimes the trigger would come all the way back without engaging the hammer at all. It got progressively worse as it loosened untilI figured out what had happened. If you have a snapcap, you can test it at home to see if that was the problem.

G

·
I put locktite on the trigger pin once and the damn stuff worked it's way into the trigger area and froze up the trigger, had to tear down cut the old trigger out and reinstall all new again. was not fun. IMO, I would put a dab of silicone on the cut out back side of the trigger where the pin shows and let dry, That will prevent the pin from coming out and if need be u can also take that silicone out of that area (for reasns I know not why though). That locktite stuff seems to find places that maybe it sholud not be in. Have all of mine siliconed and so far no backng out of trigger pins.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
This is why the directions say... "a drop of locktite".... Silicone should work, but hey, KT assembles them with nothing at all and most never have this issue. :-/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the update........

I made it back to the range today. Now it quit all together. :'(

Racked the slide, pulled the trigger and nothing. The hammer doesn't engage the trigger now at all. Guess I'll be calling KT on Tuesday.

Happy New Year All!

Dave

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Kel-tec is closed until 1/8/07. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.