My first handgun...you guys are great!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgreer, Nov 16, 2007.

1. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hi gang, I have lurked on this sight for a couple of months now. Decided to jump on a P3at...put my name on a buy list at my range shop. I wanted a black 'parked' model. They wanted $260 for one with a blued slide, but it never came in. I just happened to find a used 'parked' one at a local gun/pawn shop.

It looked like it had very very few rounds through it. They still had the original box, zippered case, trigger lock and manual. I bargained with them a little and this is the deal I got:

2G P3at with parkerized slide
    All original packaging and manual
    Trigger lock
    They threw in a Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster
    1 box of Remington 95 gr FMJ

All of this I got for $ 220

From reading here, I first stripped it- used 600 grit paper to remove burrs and polished the feed ramp. Then oiled her up and used moly grease on the rails. It has the metal guide rod. Then I sanded the sharp spots off of the trigger.

I put a piece of rubber hose on the back strap...held it in place with a strip of bicycle tube then installed a Hogue Handall JR. grip over all of this. It fits my hand much better! I think I will add a Bersa mag foot also.

Now the first range report:
    100 rounds through...99% perfect...one stove pipe. I think I limp wristed that one. My accuracy was pretty loose but practice will help that. Even so most rounds were in the 8 ring and in. The sights were difficult to locate so I see some paint in my future. ;D

This is my first handgun and after a good break-in I believe I will carry it every day. I owe you guys big time...I would never have known how to do all of this without this site!

Thanks! Now off to clean and lube...again.

2. george

george Guest

Hi welcome to KTOG .Looks like you have a good one.
    Have fun with it.
    Geo. :)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG and congrats on that P3AT

As for a FIRST hand gun......You chose an interesting one
    the lightest for the caliber, small, no sights, unuasal trigger, no safety, no extra features

just the best pocket handgun out there IMHO ;)

4. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Sounds like you got a really great deal. Welcome to the club, plenty of good folks here and we`re glad to have ya.

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Welcome on board and grats on the good deal.

6. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Welcome,

First hangun a P3AT and only 1 SP outta 100 rouds ;)

Good job

7. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes, I agree this seems like an unusual choice for a first timer. But, I recently got my CCW license and was looking for self defense and easy concealability. In my search I came upon a NAA Guardian...then by chance while at the range in the CCW class, I saw a KT P3AT.

My research brought me to this site and I figured that if I had a problem I would be able to get help!

In fact, I was a little concerned about buying it used. I thought maybe someone had a lot of trouble with it and gave up. I decided to give it a chance and did a minor F&B sort of as a pre-emptive strike. :cool:
    I'm glad I did...but I think the key piece of info is to be generous with the lube and use grease on the rails.

A couple hundred more rounds and if it holds up - it will be golden!

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Welcome louie. That was a great deal. :cool:

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!!! Great deal on a great weapon!

Enjoy!

10. Stevil

Stevil New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Good job Louie, I would recommend you purchase another hand gun (you know you want to), the P3AT can be a bit of a beast and takes some effort to shoot (dons flame retardant suit). A full-size 9mm would be a good choice, you'll find practicing with that will only help you understand the P3AT better, comparison is a fine learning tool. Congratulations once again.

11. ib4singlestack

ib4singlestack New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Great deal,, I'm also new to the P3AT, still break'n-it-in & welcome too.
    Have had other hand guns for a long time and would agree with Stevil
    on having another more target friendly handgun (like full-size 9mm) to prcatice with.  
    Another nice choice would be a Ruger .22 or BuckMark .22.
    Reason being that accuracy/trigger control can be learned with much less expensive ammo,
    along the same reasoning as the 9mm.

The P3at is by far the worst sight system of any that I have, but is so by design for its intended purpose,
    and is the most difficult to get to and keep on target due to its sights, size, trigger,  & grip.
    Two of my best for getting on target are a Kimber 45 with C/T laser and a BuckMark 22 with cheap red dot.
    They are both very accurate, just one makes a bigger bang and cost more to shoot !!  (and neither is CCW)

Like to hear about your progress,, later,,

12. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. And yes I do already hear the little voice calling for another gun. ;)

I qualified for my license with a range gun. It was a Ruger .22, very easy to sight, very light trigger, and very accurate. A fun plinker. This looks like a new hobby for me. It started as personal protection and now look out! I think my range owners are like 'pushers' - every time I stop in there they try to put something in my hand.

Yesterday, they gave me a T-shirt and asked me how I carry my P3AT. Then I ended up walking out with a Fobus paddle holster for $20.00...oh no...I think I'm getting hooked!

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Boy they ARE good. Make sure you check out the many threads on holsters choices here at KTOG.

And while .22 is great as a practice weapon, my opinion would be look to a nice 9mm as your next weapon. More expensive that .22 for plinking, but also serves a home defense role and that is priceless. THEN get the .22

and .40

and .45

and we are not even talking rifles yet.

-Scott

14. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome to the new forum members. Keep us posted with range reports (and new gun purchases).

wyo-man

15. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Years ago it all started with the idea of a gun for self defence.
    If the money was better it could be much worse better.

16. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Hey louie, had my Fobus for a while now, how do you like yours so far?

17. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Welcome louie!

I had about the same intentions and experiences you did. I was looking for my first gun. It was for carry-all-the-time purposes. The NAA Guardian was my first choice until the ArmaLaser came out. That switched me to the P-3AT. It has still been my only gun for two years now. Have over 2000 trouble free rounds through it. Don’t really see a need for anything else.

Bobo

18. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hey Flounder, I really like the Fobus so far. The versatility is great...I like the fact that I can wear it strong side or cross draw and it is easy on and off. I don't always like to wear a belt and with my dunlap disease IWB isn't very comfortable.

This might be my choice as long as I am wearing an outer garment...if not it will be pocket carry.

The Fobus was a little tight on the release straight out of the package, I'm going to try it for awhile but I may need to loosen it just a little bit. I had to make a perfect draw to keep from pulling the whole holster and that would not be good!

BTW, nice rig. It is very similar to mine. Especially once I get my Bersa mag extension.