Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, I have lurked on this sight for a couple of months now. Decided to jump on a P3at...put my name on a buy list at my range shop. I wanted a black 'parked' model. They wanted $260 for one with a blued slide, but it never came in. I just happened to find a used 'parked' one at a local gun/pawn shop.

It looked like it had very very few rounds through it. They still had the original box, zippered case, trigger lock and manual. I bargained with them a little and this is the deal I got:

2G P3at with parkerized slide
All original packaging and manual
Trigger lock
They threw in a Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster
1 box of Remington 95 gr FMJ

All of this I got for $ 220

From reading here, I first stripped it- used 600 grit paper to remove burrs and polished the feed ramp. Then oiled her up and used moly grease on the rails. It has the metal guide rod. Then I sanded the sharp spots off of the trigger.

I put a piece of rubber hose on the back strap...held it in place with a strip of bicycle tube then installed a Hogue Handall JR. grip over all of this. It fits my hand much better! I think I will add a Bersa mag foot also.

Now the first range report:
100 rounds through...99% perfect...one stove pipe. I think I limp wristed that one. My accuracy was pretty loose but practice will help that. Even so most rounds were in the 8 ring and in. The sights were difficult to locate so I see some paint in my future. ;D

This is my first handgun and after a good break-in I believe I will carry it every day. I owe you guys big time...I would never have known how to do all of this without this site!

Thanks! Now off to clean and lube...again.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Welcome to KTOG and congrats on that P3AT

As for a FIRST hand gun......You chose an interesting one
the lightest for the caliber, small, no sights, unuasal trigger, no safety, no extra features

just the best pocket handgun out there IMHO ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I agree this seems like an unusual choice for a first timer. But, I recently got my CCW license and was looking for self defense and easy concealability. In my search I came upon a NAA Guardian...then by chance while at the range in the CCW class, I saw a KT P3AT.

My research brought me to this site and I figured that if I had a problem I would be able to get help!

In fact, I was a little concerned about buying it used. I thought maybe someone had a lot of trouble with it and gave up. I decided to give it a chance and did a minor F&B sort of as a pre-emptive strike. :cool:
I'm glad I did...but I think the key piece of info is to be generous with the lube and use grease on the rails.

A couple hundred more rounds and if it holds up - it will be golden!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Welcome louie. That was a great deal. :cool:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Good job Louie, I would recommend you purchase another hand gun (you know you want to), the P3AT can be a bit of a beast and takes some effort to shoot (dons flame retardant suit). A full-size 9mm would be a good choice, you'll find practicing with that will only help you understand the P3AT better, comparison is a fine learning tool. Congratulations once again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great deal,, I'm also new to the P3AT, still break'n-it-in & welcome too.
Have had other hand guns for a long time and would agree with Stevil
on having another more target friendly handgun (like full-size 9mm) to prcatice with.  
Another nice choice would be a Ruger .22 or BuckMark .22.
Reason being that accuracy/trigger control can be learned with much less expensive ammo,
along the same reasoning as the 9mm.

The P3at is by far the worst sight system of any that I have, but is so by design for its intended purpose,
and is the most difficult to get to and keep on target due to its sights, size, trigger,  & grip.
Two of my best for getting on target are a Kimber 45 with C/T laser and a BuckMark 22 with cheap red dot.
They are both very accurate, just one makes a bigger bang and cost more to shoot !!  (and neither is CCW)

Like to hear about your progress,, later,,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. And yes I do already hear the little voice calling for another gun. ;)

I qualified for my license with a range gun. It was a Ruger .22, very easy to sight, very light trigger, and very accurate. A fun plinker. This looks like a new hobby for me. It started as personal protection and now look out! I think my range owners are like 'pushers' - every time I stop in there they try to put something in my hand.

Yesterday, they gave me a T-shirt and asked me how I carry my P3AT. Then I ended up walking out with a Fobus paddle holster for $20.00...oh no...I think I'm getting hooked!

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
st.louie_louie said:
I think my range owners are like 'pushers' - every time I stop in there they try to put something in my hand.

Yesterday, they gave me a T-shirt and asked me how I carry my P3AT. Then I ended up walking out with a Fobus paddle holster for $20.00...oh no...I think I'm getting hooked!
Boy they ARE good. Make sure you check out the many threads on holsters choices here at KTOG.

And while .22 is great as a practice weapon, my opinion would be look to a nice 9mm as your next weapon. More expensive that .22 for plinking, but also serves a home defense role and that is priceless. THEN get the .22

and .40

and .45

and we are not even talking rifles yet.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Years ago it all started with the idea of a gun for self defence.
If the money was better it could be much worse better.

·
Registered
376 Posts
st.louie_louie said:
Thanks for the suggestions. And yes I do already hear the little voice calling for another gun. ;)

I qualified for my license with a range gun. It was a Ruger .22, very easy to sight, very light trigger, and very accurate. A fun plinker. This looks like a new hobby for me. It started as personal protection and now look out! I think my range owners are like 'pushers' - every time I stop in there they try to put something in my hand.

Hey louie, had my Fobus for a while now, how do you like yours so far?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Welcome louie!

I had about the same intentions and experiences you did. I was looking for my first gun. It was for carry-all-the-time purposes. The NAA Guardian was my first choice until the ArmaLaser came out. That switched me to the P-3AT. It has still been my only gun for two years now. Have over 2000 trouble free rounds through it. Don’t really see a need for anything else.

Bobo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Flounder, I really like the Fobus so far. The versatility is great...I like the fact that I can wear it strong side or cross draw and it is easy on and off. I don't always like to wear a belt and with my dunlap disease IWB isn't very comfortable.

This might be my choice as long as I am wearing an outer garment...if not it will be pocket carry.

The Fobus was a little tight on the release straight out of the package, I'm going to try it for awhile but I may need to loosen it just a little bit. I had to make a perfect draw to keep from pulling the whole holster and that would not be good!

BTW, nice rig. It is very similar to mine. Especially once I get my Bersa mag extension.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.