Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just like anything , a balance needs to be struck. I have associates that have 10 times the inventory of guns than I do. They dont shoot nearly as often as I do and I shoot once a month which in my mind not often enough . some guys (argue most) are just collectors. Thats the reason I got away from baseball card collecting , you can't do nothing but look at them lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
I suggest searching for a good club, i.e., one that offers shooting programs, especially precision pistol aka "bullseye." Bullseye competition teaches you the fundamentals and you gotta walk before you can run. Once learned, go to an action sport like IDPA or 3-gun. I can make a bullseye shooter shoot faster and maintain accuracy, but making an action shooter precise is nearly impossible.
At my primary club, I shoot pistol competition once per week and shoot a practice/testing session once per week. At the other club it's high power rifle, bowling pins, and practice/load testing.
By avoiding the buying bug, the money saved was invested (yes, "invested") in ammo and reloading components during the "Trump Slump." Hopefully, in 2 years when we oust the Democrooks (if they don't disarm us first) another slump will give us a good supply or reasonably priced ammo and reloading components.
Regardless, find and join an active, NRA-affiliated club then shoot at least once / week even if you have to sell a few "baseball cards" to do so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
KS7 versus the world... just a perspective shot at the bullpup advantage.
Swinging the 930 around feels like a broom stick compared to KS7.
500 is better than 930 but just not as nimble as KS7.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent point - enhanced maneuverability. The bullpup also keeps the better ballistics of a longer barrel, "pointability," and recoil management much better than the "firearm" 12 gauge weapons with 14" barrels and club "grips." Agreed - for a 12 gauge, the bullpup is the best for tight quarters.
If you were to use a bullpup for home defense, it seems likely that you would not be wearing hearing protection. Has anyone analyzed the sound pressure levels of bullpup shotguns relative to conventional shotguns? I know with bullpup rifles it's much louder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I keep electronic earmuffs right next to Home Defense guns (function check them and check batteries ever month or 2). Howard Leight/Walkers on sale $30 (or any brand will do) afford you protection and better hearing than anyone else around you. They are able to magnify sounds far away. At an outdoor range, I was hearing multiple conversations 20-30 feet away. In your home, it will feel like cheating! If you are not wearing protection then after the first shot by anyone, the discussion phase is over.

But back to your "sound pressure" question: I'm not sure why a bullpup rifle is "louder" other than it is shorter so chamber and business end of barrel are closer to you. Perceived sound may be louder but the real issue is firing any weapon inside relatively small house rooms compared to a big range. Hallways especially create issues with sound bouncing back at you.

Longer/shorter barrel lengths can alter sound based on amount of powder burnt during travel down barrel. Shorter barrels can eject powder still being burnt, but bullpup is standard length.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's all about proximity to the source of the sound: the sound intensity decreases by the inverse square of the distance. So, despite the 18" barrel, the muzzle is closer to one's ears, thus sound pressure is higher - not just perceived loudness, but actual, potentially damaging, sound levels.
Bottom line: good electronic muffs are essential.

·
Registered
529 Posts
To each his own, but having owned a KSG and now a KS7, I think the KS7 is the better gun.
All the KSG really has going for it is the double magazine.
People figure they can load one KSG mag with buckshot and the other with slugs and change over as needed.
That really doesn't work since to change requires ejecting and loosing the round in the chamber plus under stress, trying to remember what you're feeding in the chamber.

The KS7 is a much simpler. sturdier gun that's less likely to have problems caused by the complex KSG double magazine feed system.

I also owed a number of Remington 870's mostly Police models.
For an actual home defense gun I think the KS7 if the better choice. It's shorter then the 870 and you can actually fire the first shot with one hand.
The longer 870 simply can't be held up in a ready position while using the other to open doors or handle a phone or light.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts