Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple months ago I picked up a keltec pf9, a 709 slim and a tcp 380 at all about the same time. I was wanting to settle in on a carry piece so I just bought the 3 I was interested in.

I read some things about how folks have had issues with all of them out of the box ect, and how a couple hundred rounds will get them broke in ect, before they are reliable.

I needed these guns to be reliable when i strapped them on not in a month when i got 300 rounds through them. I'm always driving in the middle of night, sleeping in my truck on the side of the road or at a truck stop. and didn't want to go through 300 rounds a piece over a couple day period to test.

Heres my easy and effective break in ritual.

take apart and get it nice and cleaned

1. I load the mags up and let them sit for 3 days minimum to compress that spring, I'll take the rounds out, put them back several time and them let stay full.

2. I oil it and I rack the slide with the magazine out 600 hundred times at least, just back and forth over and over, i don't let it slam shut just keep racking it over the course of three days to get that recoil spring worked in.

3. I let the gun sit with the slide locked open when I'm not racking it to keep the spring compressed.

4. I snap cap fire it hundred times or so,

after the 3 days it really felt like they had been broke in, and they are all as smooth shooting as ever.

5. I polish the feed ramp, I put a gun bore cleaning tip into my cordless drill, the soft furry kind, not the hard bristles, put some gun cleaning oil on it and and just on low speed ran it on the feed ramp, polished er up nice and shiney, took about 2 minutes tops. you'll now when its enough as the feed ramp will shine up nice. do it every couple hundred rounds once it gets dirty, that way it stays nice and smooth

I clean it again and take it to the range.

last 3 months I've put 500 rounds through all 3 of these guns...and not 1 ftf or fte they have been perfect.

maybe I got lucky with good guns but i think the break in i did prior to shooting helped alot.

I do all of this before firing it one time

after i got 100 rounds through them, with not one fte, ftf or anything I thought maybe i just got lucky but when the 300 rounds were completed and all 3 still had not one problem, I feel pretty good about my system.

i know hardest thing is to wait to get to the range, but when i first got these and I could see that everything was so dang tight from being new, I felt if i went out and just popped off 100 rounds without a doing a little bit to break it in easy i was gonna have problems.

i know some have no problems out of the box but this is just what i do, and so far no shipments to the manufactor and full confidence in all 3 of these to defend my life if needed.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
HEY! Keep your hands on the wheel! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like a good system that works for you. Sure cuts down on the cost of ammo to break it in. Next new gun I buy might try your method. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting concept to say the least. Never heard of doing all that but if it works for you then great. BTW that's a great looking Pete is that your's?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks yep it mine :)

Yah my method prob a little much, old habits die hard, lol..2 tours of service across the pond and u become a lil anal about weapons u have that are carry for sd.

But i got the time to do it and like giving em a bit of tlc before i shoot. Knock on wood have not had any issues with pistols ive done this with, by the time im done they really do feel broke in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've always just put some rounds through mine, but it sounds like creativity and time should help in your situation. You still need to know they will work in a real world test, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like your approach at easing break in. My pf9 came out of the box cleaned lubed with good results at the range. People say I'm not right but I still would rather ride behind a bull-cattle truck than some of the nasty garbage trucks running around here in fl good memorys of being on the farm. Nothing wrong with a good fondle while on that stool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like a old school method that's tried and true. As mentioned perhaps not as fun as actually shooting but a productive way to spend some idle downtime. As a new PF9 owner, I can certainly attest the springs are super stiff. So I might give it a try... but I'm hoping to make it to the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I prefer to send rounds through if they jam or not, ehhh, it's brake in. I get gun A.D.D. I like to see me hitting center mass even if it jams every other round.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts