Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice! I love the look of the Huey on the KSG! Really wanted to do that myself but I got mine for $400 from a family friend so I can’t justify putting optics on it thats more expensive than the gun itself lol.
Is that the Cloud OWL? Never seen it mounted like that before

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I love the look of the Huey on the KSG! Really wanted to do that myself but I got mine for $400 from a family friend so I can’t justify putting optics on it thats more expensive than the gun itself lol.
Is that the Cloud OWL? Never seen it mounted like that before
Yes it's an OWL. Works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bottom polymer rail is not the most reliable thing in the world. I've added a metal Pic rail over it and now at least I don't have to worry about teeth broken off by the vert grip racking it like it's the end of the world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to think so, too...that said, what do you think is wrong with the redesigned, reinforced polymer rail?
Is it redesigned? I did not know there were updates to it. I've got mine around September 2020. Adding an aluminum rail only added like 3mm and it feels better now. If it would be just for a light or large angled grip, fine, but smaller footprint Magpul vertical - I like it on a metal rail better

·
Registered
459 Posts
Is it redesigned? I did not know there were updates to it. I've got mine around September 2020. Adding an aluminum rail only added like 3mm and it feels better now. If it would be just for a light or large angled grip, fine, but smaller footprint Magpul vertical - I like it on a metal rail better
It was redesigned & reinforced years ago. The early horror stories were argubly Darwin Award winners, involving misuse. I bought an extended rail in an abundance of caution, only to find that my beefy, 2 Bolt AB Arms vert grip would not fit on that dainty "safety rail". I have no concerns with the current production polymer lower rail. Much ado, these days.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Kel-Tec changed the KSG forearm design some years ago to beef it up and prevent breaking a vertical front grip off.
The key is to use a quality VFG that spreads the clamping force over a wider area.
The Mag-Pul VFG seems to be the preferred default and I've never heard of anyone breaking a Mag-Pul off a KSG.

Interestingly, most of the photos of broken forearms showed the VFG was broken off SIDEWAYS.
There's some suspicion that the owners tried to use the VFG as a handle when removing the barrel nut so they could install a muzzle attachment and just twisted it off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Reactions: Eddie
1 - 12 of 12 Posts