My $60 P3-AT Project

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I found a P3-AT recently at a gun show that was a total piece of crap! A private vendor said it was his carry gun until he found a HC P3-AT, it was in such bad shape that I wouldn't of carried it! It had a cracked frame, was missing the ejector, assembly pin spring, and the outer recoil spring. The buttonhead screw was stripped, the trigger spring slipped so it wouldn't reset, the blue finish was really bad and had surface rust on the slide and barrel. He said he fired less than 50 rounds with it. He wanted a $100 and settled for $60 ;D

Yesterday I tore it completely apart and cleaned everything and decided I would try parkerizing for the finish. I had already ordered the parts I needed and had them in 3 days! Kel-Tec sure has great service. I acid cleaned all the metal parts and water washed them. I buffed all the parts and bead blasted the slide. I picked up some Zinc Phosphate from my plating supply house, mixed and heated it and put the slide and barrel in it for 10 minutes, removed and washed in running water and air dried it then soaked it in 30wt synthetic motor oil for an hour to seal it. I used the synthetic oil because it has Teflon in it, the Teflon soaks in to the parkerizing and adds to the overall durability. I then nickel plated the hammer block, hammer and trigger bar.

I sanded all the grip seams and then polished them smooth. Replaced ALL the springs, extractor and extractor spring then added a light coat of grease to the moving parts and assembled everything. I then added my energy absorbing pads and grip cover. I can't get over how smooth the slides and trigger pull is on this baby, It's much smoother than my 2 other factory parkerized P3-AT's and I polished all the moving parts on them also. I think the sealing in the synthetic oil and nickel plating all the moving parts makes this smoother than the factory finish.

I went to the range this morning and fired 50 flawless rounds of Speer Gold Dots, needless to say, this is my new carry gun! :)

[​IMG]

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nice, did you do some cerakoting on the plastic too, it looks brand new? Especially the trigger?

-scott

3. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Love to hear about gun rehab!!
    And you parked it yourself! Cool!

Congrats!

-Matt

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sprinter's home for wayward Kel-tecs...  Wow, a very fine $60 P3.  That's impressive and maybe a new record.  Perhaps you have found another business opportunity.  How did you do the nickel plating?  I bet that does slick-up the action.  :cool:

5. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Scott, the grip is new, just sanded and polished to remove all the sharp edges. The trigger is original just sanded and polished.

Dale, I have bench top 5 gallon plating tanks with a 200 amp power supply at the shop for plating copper and nickel, I also have an electro less nickel plating tank which is what is used for plating nickel on gun parts.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You HAVE been holding out on us. "AGlaser Parts Plating; Will clean em, smooth em, plate em, and then cover em"

How much for a whole set of P3AT/P40 internals Ken?

-Scott

7. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    And just in case sprinter would like to dump off that P3 for a profit I gotta offer the 1st crisp 100$ (ya never know , he might be spending too much time over those chemical tanks )  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Real nice P3 ,good job.

8. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    what about the cracked frame? you gonna send that home to the mothership for replacement?

other than that, nice job. ;)

9. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I typed the wrong thing, it was a cracked grip at the back pin.

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
  11. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Scott, I have to think about that.

But just in case I make or do anything else, I don't want you think I'm holding out on you :) Here is some pictures of part of my shops equipment. I actually could make a complete gun with no problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Going to a gun show next weekend, maybe I can find a POS that. Well one can hope anyways.

13. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    nice "mad scientist lab" you got there! congrats on an incredible find!

14. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    hmmmm..... Sure would be nice if you could make some 32naa barrels that would fit the p3at. Maybe get some solid undrilled barrels from KT or one of their suppliers, drill and chamber for the 32naa round. Sure would be nice, .... just dreamin. ;)

Oh well, nice POS find and a beautiful rehab job, kudos. :cool:

15. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Sprinter, can you make barrels?  There is a market for SURE on 357 SIG barrels and I for one would like a longer 380 barrel for my P-3AT (yes I know it will stick out but I wouldn't mind it being a bit longer for a little extra oomph).  Other KTOGers might like longer (for porting or otherwise) P-11 barrels.

You have the tools and you COULD start a nice little business on the side if ya want!

Edited to add: Looks like Peaceful had the same idea...yes 32 NAA barrels would sell like hotcakes as well!

Anyway, I've got one of those do-it-your-self nickel-plating kits but so far have only done the slide (after a melt-job).  Never thought of doing the internals.  Question:  Do we have to remove the bluing before plating?  I would presume so, thanks for letting me know!

16. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Holy cow, dude! Wish my garage looked like that  :D. Just add an metal evaporator, laser cutters, and plasma reactor and you'd be ready for most anything.

17. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I do have a laser and plasma cutter.

18. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I actually have no desire to make barrels or any internal gun parts, the liability is huge and not worth the small return.

19. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    You have to remove the bluing with an acid bath, then polish the part, then electro clean before plating. The do-it-your-self nickel-plating kits just aren't man enough to do the job correctly.

20. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    wiser words have never been spoken.

;)