Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
When it comes to the SUB2k and modifications, some of us are hot-rodders who just can't leave stuff alone. I'm one of those. My carry guns stay stock except for grips or perhaps sights but that's it (for legal reasons should, God forbid, I ever have to actually use it). The SUB2k is a platform that just screams out for mods like the Ruger 22/45 .22 pistol does. It has a large following of people like us who just can't leave them alone and there are a ton of parts for them. The King of these has to be the 10/22 Ruger rifle. I've seen examples of those that might have 1 original part left on it!

Here's my 22/45 I built and the parts I put in/on it:

22/45 MK-III Target Model

Volquartsen:
Exact Edge Extractor,
SureStrike Firing Pin,
Target hammer,
Target sear,
Target trigger w/ over-travel screw, return trigger plunger spring and polished plunger,
V-Comp Compensator,
Titanium Disconnecter.

Mag disconnect removed using Sam Lam's hammer bushing.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com [email protected]

Hammer bushing from Sam Lam @ rimfirecentral.com [email protected]

Cocking Handle by Brian Alcaraz, [email protected] @ rimfirecentral.com

LCI Cover from bpatza at RFC, Bruce patza, N863 lawn Rd, Seymour WI. 54165.

I Throated her and polished the feed ramp too.

The trigger is MUCH lighter and breaks nice and clean with NO creep and no overtravel. Once I adjusted the take-up as far as I could and still get reliable reset I am left with about 1/64" take-up before you feel resistance then she breaks like glass at maybe a pounds pressure! I doubt I will be making any changes to the setup from this point on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When it comes to the SUB2k and modifications, some of us are hot-rodders who just can't leave stuff alone. I'm one of those. My carry guns stay stock except for grips or perhaps sights but that's it (for legal reasons should, God forbid, I ever have to actually use it). The SUB2k is a platform that just screams out for mods like the Ruger 22/45 .22 pistol does. It has a large following of people like us who just can't leave them alone and there are a ton of parts for them. The King of these has to be the 10/22 Ruger rifle. I've seen examples of those that might have 1 original part left on it!

22/45 MK-III Target Model

Volquartsen:
Exact Edge Extractor,
SureStrike Firing Pin,
Target hammer,
Target sear,
Target trigger w/ over-travel screw, return trigger plunger spring and polished plunger,
V-Comp Compensator,
Titanium Disconnecter.

Mag disconnect removed using Sam Lam's hammer bushing.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com [email protected]

Hammer bushing from Sam Lam @ rimfirecentral.com [email protected]

Cocking Handle by Brian Alcaraz, [email protected] @ rimfirecentral.com

LCI Cover from bpatza at RFC, Bruce patza, N863 lawn Rd, Seymour WI. 54165.

I Throated her and polished the feed ramp too.

The trigger is MUCH lighter and breaks nice and clean with NO creep and no overtravel. Once I adjusted the take-up as far as I could and still get reliable reset I am left with about 1/64" take-up before you feel resistance then she breaks like glass at maybe a pounds pressure! I doubt I will be making any changes to the setup from this point on.

Thanks, I was fondling the new green one they came out with,and the blue one also. I planned on picking one up soon. Now after your post I have to buy sooner.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Ok, I give up, what's the blue piece of chalk for?:headstratch:

To the OP: Bolting on extras will not ruin a gun as it can always be put back original.

'Modifying' one by cutting, grinding, sanding, or throwing away original parts will:eek:.
If you feel the need, buy spare parts and grind away. But keep the original part.
(the exception would of course be the plastic sights on the Sub:p)

Some of the toys we gleefully destroyed as kids are worth more today than a Sub 2000:(.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I give up, what's the blue piece of chalk for?:headstratch:

To the OP: Bolting on extras will not ruin a gun as it can always be put back original.

'Modifying' one by cutting, grinding, sanding, or throwing away original parts will:eek:.
If you feel the need, buy spare parts and grind away. But keep the original part.
(the exception would of course be the plastic sights on the Sub:p)

Some of the toys we gleefully destroyed as kids are worth more today than a Sub 2000:(.
It's a mag bumper. That set of one-off grips were made for me and required them to seat the mags. Here is what they look like with "normal" (again custom) grips:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as this is in it's own thread now, I'll go ahead and add the parts source and cost list from when I built mine:
I have a total of only $258.43 in her not counting the original cost of the gun and Red Dot which was $350 so the total investment is $608.43 and well worth every penny to me!

Volquartsen:
VC2DN MKII/MKIII TITANIUM DISCONNECTOR, 7.50
S&H SHIPPING & HANDLING, 9.95

Product: Volquartsen Accurizing Kit MK III - Silver
Product Code: VC3AK-S
Price: $92.50

Product: Volquartsen Bolt Tune-Up Kit Ruger MKI, MKII, MKIII
Product Code: VC3FE
Price: $27.95

[email protected]:
1505GH, Ruger Stainless Steel V-Comp Muzzle Break, $49.99
Shipping cost, $5.99

bjtraz's Slide Racker, [email protected] bjtraz @ RFC 22/45 $33.00 shipped.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com (I don't know if he still makes these though others do)

Sam's (sg552-2) Hammer Bushing: $10US Shipped. send cash, or an international money order.
Sam [email protected]

LCI Cover from bpatza at RFC:
Send payment with request to Bruce patza, N863 lawn Rd, Seymour WI. 54165.
Regular stainless steel, $18.00 with tracking $19.00
Beadblasted stainless, $19.00 " " $20.00
Hot Blued carbon steel, $21.00 " " $22.00
Shipping to the lower 48 included
Set screw, allen wrench, 220 gr. alum.oxide for minor fitting, instruction info. included.
please add your contact information so I can contact you if there is a problem or question with your order
Just a note, bead blasted is NOT a factory finish on Ruger MKs. It is an aftermarket finish.
Matte blued for the new Ruger barrel is ready to go for$22 or $23 with tracking

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice project. Came out great.

That is why I've been holding off picking up a vanilla 10/22. By the time I'm done with it will probably wind up being a gun costing me over 1k lol. Seriously it was bad enough with the AR builds. I've tried to be a good boy with my sub2k and not get too crazy with that. My Glock 19 eventually has to get the cerakote treatment and some Trijicon nite sights as well. It never stops does it?

You nailed it, the 10/22 probably has one of the biggest aftermarket offering of parts of all time. I know folks that have literally replaced everything except the original receiver. You nailed that too. Honestly if I were to take on a project of my own that would probably be all that remained original also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.