Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

As I have shared on another thread, I recently acquired an RDB Defender, and am currently looking into the modifications I need to budget for. That being said, I have seen a lot of your kits, and noticed a lot of blast shields going around.

I'm not asking which is better, just personal preference for each of you, and any reasons you may have for preferring one over the other.

For what its worth: My original plan was to go with a silencerco ASR mount and their flash hider while I save up for a can, but the blast shields have since intrigued me.

Defender Pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
So..I have the Blast shield so I dont piss off people when I'm at the range...Its out door and they are a few feet from me when I'm shooting with my brake.

Plus...it looks cool in my pic
20200322_150855.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I have the Griffin Armament A2 mount blast shield. Im pretty much an A2 fanboy and all my black rifles have A2s. and any at work will have them, so that dictates my options.
I find the Griffin well made, VERY well made. Its a tank. It will add balance to your rifle.
FYI, A2s vary in size tolerance. The A2 from KT fit. Not so lucky on others.
Best price at Ballisticdeals.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just bought a Griffin 3 prong minimalist FH so I can mount my Optimus to the RDB. A brake would piss off my range neighbors plus if I ever had to use the rifle in a defensive situation indoors and didn't have the suppressor attached, I don't want to lose what's left of my hearing. Just consider the fact that with a bullpup, the muzzle is so much closer to your face.

I have a Griffin Paladin 2 port MB on my RFB, and that thing without the can on is loud AF...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just bought a Griffin 3 prong minimalist FH so I can mount my Optimus to the RDB. A brake would **** off my range neighbors plus if I ever had to use the rifle in a defensive situation indoors and didn't have the suppressor attached, I don't want to lose what's left of my hearing. Just consider the fact that with a bullpup, the muzzle is so much closer to your face.

I have a Griffin Paladin 2 port MB on my RFB, and that thing without the can on is loud AF...
Yea..Brakes on the Rfb are loud...I run an Sjc titan with the same blast deflector as my Rdb when I'm at the Range with neighbors..

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the Griffin Armament A2 mount blast shield. Im pretty much an A2 fanboy and all my black rifles have A2s. and any at work will have them, so that dictates my options.
I find the Griffin well made, VERY well made. Its a tank. It will add balance to your rifle.
I considered buying the Griffin A2 mount for my Optimus but one, it's expensive and two, not a QD system. It also lengthens the entire suppressor so you end up losing some size advantage. It's great if you have a bunch of rifles with birdcage FH though. The average cost on a Griffin taper mount muzzle device is about 80 bucks vs 10 or so dollars for an A2 birdcage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I currently run a Wilson Quiet Comp on my RDB. It's basically like a souped up A2, helps tame muzzle rise and recoil a bit without adding blast. Previously had a PA AFAB but the AR needed it more - the RDB is pretty smooth and gentle already once it is dialed in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great responses! Definitely makes a lot of sense. The look and effect of the griffin A2 mount seems like its right up my alley! And it'll give me something to keep my range buddies happy with until I can get my can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was just about trying to convince myself to purchase this, and they went out of stock today.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Put in the order, if the price is good, and wait for it.
Ballistic Deals took about a month to fulfill my order.
I think they don't keep a huge inventory, but order when they need to fulfill a few orders.
the savings was wort the wait for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently installed a Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp on the RDB. I am going to take it to the range this weekend. so I will give a range report later. Anyway, I just thought I would upload some pictures so everyone could see it. That way if someone else also in search of a muzzle device they can get an idea of what it will look like on their RDB before buying it. It seems a little long to me, at 3.25 inches in length, and it also seems a little heavy at 6.7 oz, I had to use the RDB lock nut as a spacer because the KV Comp bottoms out before getting down to the shoulder of the barrel's muzzle. (I hope that is the correct description).

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
you got points for sling tacticoolness
You know, it took my forever trying to figure something out. Then one day I go to the range and my buddy had it all worked out. Said he got it from YouTube.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Long and short - I am overall satisfied with the Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp. . . . So I got to the range today. I do think it reduced the noise from the report, though I can't say how much but enough it was noticeable when compared to the A2 type birdcage it ships with. The other thing I was kind of expecting was a reduction in visible flash, which it did for the most part although I did notice that if I shot a couple rounds really close together I would get a nice muzzle flash. The weight actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so overall I am satisfied with the Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp on the RDB. The one I purchased was the 3.25 inch model though there is a 2.25 inch long one as well that weights a full 2 ozs less at 4.7. Both have the same outside diameter of 1.25 inches. The only thing I really didn't like and tried to mitigate was the shadow cast by muzzle when using the light. I tried moving the light as far forward as possible on the handguard but the shadow is still prevalent, so I may consider going to the short Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp. It is still priced at $59.95, which I don't think is a bad price.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Long and short - I am overall satisfied with the Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp. . . . So I got to the range today. I do think it reduced the noise from the report, though I can't say how much but enough it was noticeable when compared to the A2 type birdcage it ships with. The other thing I was kind of expecting was a reduction in visible flash, which it did for the most part although I did notice that if I shot a couple rounds really close together I would get a nice muzzle flash. The weight actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so overall I am satisfied with the Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp on the RDB. The one I purchased was the 3.25 inch model though there is a 2.25 inch long one as well that weights a full 2 ozs less at 4.7. Both have the same outside diameter of 1.25 inches. The only thing I really didn't like and tried to mitigate was the shadow cast by muzzle when using the light. I tried moving the light as far forward as possible on the handguard but the shadow is still prevalent, so I may consider going to the short Kaw Valley Magnum Linear Comp. It is still priced at $59.95, which I don't think is a bad price.
Generally Linear comps are not much better than the A2.
Check out the any of the "AR15 muzzle brake shoot out test" from Truth about guns.You'll see what I mean.
However. I love guys who shoot SBRer/Pistol Ar15 with these..Much easier to be in a lane 3 or 4 stalls away ;p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Generally Linear comps are not much better than the A2.
Check out the any of the "AR15 muzzle brake shoot out test" from Truth about guns.You'll see what I mean.
However. I love guys who shoot SBRer/Pistol Ar15 with these..Much easier to be in a lane 3 or 4 stalls away ;p
Wow, there are three!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts