Muscle memory "glitch" with CT laser...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bob2c, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bob2c

bob2c New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I must finally come out of lurking and tell an awfull story that happened 2 months back.  (No one hurt)

I have a P-3AT with a CT laser and use to practice dry fire on a snap cap alot to tame the trigger and use the CT as a guide to how steady I was at trigger break.  Became quite a good shot with this combo.

BUT... And I don't blame anything but my bad muscle memory or lack of.  I was showing a brother in law (a gun nut himself)  my laser.  First rule broken when I unholstered and did not unload immediatly.  I figured I was just going to point the laser and return to my IWB holster.  

I for some reason had my middle finger (usually the laser trip finger) in the trigger guard.  Now I am very good about that second rule broken.  I never put finger in trigger area unless I double - triple check the weapon.  second rule broken...

Fortunatly I was good about the muzzle direction rule... and BAM ! ! !  Through the lower part of an exterior wall , shingles, 3/4 plywood and sheetrock into the back of an upright piano.

I imagine my middle finger was instinctively tripping the laser and was not thinking about that long trigger pull underway.

Needless to say I was completely stunned and afraid first of all where my mother was as this was her house.  I see her shuffling around in the very back of the house so not to worried.  Very shocked that she did not hear a thing and her front door was wide open.  I was on an enclosed porch in the same airspace!   She is not deaf at all.  I call back "mom" you allright ?  Yeh why? she says.

The sound must have been no more than a door slamming or so she thought.  No one in her front yard just outside the door heard a thing either.  Go figure.  Sub sonic I assume? Oh, and brother in law was more amused than shocked because of experience in much nastier gun situations. First thing he says is "good muzzle direction"

The "noise" thing is just a curious side to this bad story.  The real lesson for me was the first 2 rules and I no longer dryfire and practice with the laser unless I am at a range.  It took me a week before I would take a gun out of my safe after that.  Had to think long and hard.

This was a hollow point so I am sure it now lives in the soundboard of that piano.  I can't move it to find out.

Hope this helps prevent a similar event for someone.

2. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    I've been a shooter for many years (retired military) and am very good about not breaking the 'rules'. But I've been trying to teach my wife to shoot, but I can't get her to keep her finger off the trigger when not firing or to keep it pointed down range when it's loaded (especially when her finger is on the trigger). Luckily we have our own land to shoot on or we would probably be banned from any range she goes to. Oddly she is the one who is usually nagging me about safety when I'm doing just about anything else. ::)

3. bob2c

bob2c New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I don't know if I am using the correct term with muscle memory. But my finger had a memory of it's own and pulled before my brain remembered not to. Could be nerves?

Poppo a good friend of mine is the same way with the trigger finger and I am constantly telling him to nock it off. He says "do i have to remind you of your mother's piano?" I should never have told him.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I know they work for some, but this is why I will not use snap caps. I want my weapon to go bang everytime I pull the trigger and to be able to expect that.

SO glad you all came out of it okay, the ribbing aside I am sure. And thank you for sharing.

-Scott

5. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Glad nobody was hurt, as such this story leans toward the good side of hard lessons learned. These things can happen to anyone.

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thankfully the only damage was to property. This type of thing could happen to anyone of us and I thank you for posting so that I'm once more reminded of the possibility and will refresh my safety awareness.

Take care (and don't beat yourself up to badly)...

7. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I went checked the web site out where the guy accidentally shot himself in the leg with a .45 federal hydra-shock. It made 4 holes in his leg so I'm going to stick to the rules.

My son shot his .45 in my living room. He's and 4 time Iraq 82nd Airborne Infantry veteran too. Go figure. Thankfully he missed everything except the foot stool that was full of magazines. Apparently My foot stool is the safest thing to shoot in my house. :) I was sitting right next to him when the round was dispatched and it just missed his foot.

You were lucky. I can see how it could happen though using the snap caps and laser to practice shoot. I won't use the snap caps either.

8. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I use snap caps to keep my delicate Kel-Tec from breaking.  
    I put them into the magazines first and then load up.
    I am no good at round counting at all and since you can't even dry fire the gun once without screwing it up...  ::)

That is besides the point all together though.

I don't dry fire the gun otherwise.  This is not something I do for practice or any of this sort of thing.

This is all my lead in for this one, I fired a round from my .357 through a wall into an apartment mail room that lodged in a brick wall once. I was half asleep and kept the gun on my nightstand.  It was a horrible neighborhood on the West side of Chicago. Anyway, no one was hurt, thank God.  I was stunned that no one called the cops then I remembered where I was...

Gun shots were fairly common in the area actually.  :(
    So after I calmed down and was sure no one else had been hurt I went back to sleep.
    I moved the gun to the drawer though so I needed to have my wits to be grabbing it.

I tell you all this to illustrate one thing.  After now going on 30+ years of safe gun handling, I have had an incident of stupidity as well. By the Grace of the Lord, no one was hurt or killed y my stupidity and I learned that it is not wise to keep a gun near you where you can pick it up before you are fully conscious of what you are doing.